Trailer Trash

Sooooo Glad Its The Fridaily! (Read 16 times)

moonlightrunner

I can't sleep, so why not kick off Friday a bit early?

Yesterday I had a truly awesome run. 9 miles in at Fort Custer. It was cold, but the sun was out and soon I was warm, heavy layers tucked in my pack.  I love blue sky and sunshine! I hope all you that were battered by the late spring storm find your skies blue and temperature warm soon.

When I ran today, I saw a very old woman (MUCH older than I) standing about 50 yards off the trail. She was very tall, and very, very wide. I picked my way through small trees and briars to meet her.. She was silent as I studied her, marveling at her age and  size. Surely, she is the last of her kind, sole survivor of forests that covered this area so long ago. Her rough skin looks as though it has been sculpted by wind and harsh elements, their motion freezing slowly in her bark over the many years gone by. . She stands with her enormous arms held high, save one, broken and mangled during a long ago cataclysm. She towers above me, mute and naked, The tattered clothes of last summer's green splendor,  dried to brown and carelessly strewn at her feet.

I wonder at what this Old Woman has seen. Did she weep silently at the slaughter of her offspring by ax and saw? Necessary carnage to farmers, making room for crops that once grew in the now fallow farm field she guards. Does she recall in her long memory, the vibration of guns and artillery as men marched and  played games, practice for the wars in Europe and the Pacific? Did she watch as they walked out of her sight and into war's reality, some never to return to their native soil?

Growing up I was a Star Trek fan, and longed for the cold and detached logic of Mr. Spock. In addition to his logical personality, he could mind meld with beings simply by placing his fingers on their head. He read their thoughts and experienced their memories. I wish I could put my hand to this Old Woman's heart, so I might see what she witnessed. Sadly, the Vulcan Mind Meld did not grow from science fiction to science fact as other devices and abilities imagined in that show. The Old Woman's secrets will remain her own, leaving me only to wonder each time I run by.

QODT: Ticks. In light of AT's current battle with tick Lyme Disease, what methods do you use to keep the little critters away? Every year for many years the forecast is always for "worse I casually apply Deep Woods Off, I read that you are supposed to wear long pants, long sleeves....but who wants to run like that in the middle of summer? I have found ticks imbedded in my head and on my legs.

There are 16 different tic borne diseases, 14 of them prevalent in my neck of the woods. 

I hope everyone has a great Fridailly!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

NorthernHarrier

Nice Moonlight. Now, how are we supposed to follow that? My writing rivals a 3rd grader. See Harrier run. Run Harrier run. 

Up early and headed out to the frozen trails at Donald park. Conditions should be great early and turning mushy later so this should work. Trepidation with my calf as I seemed to have aggravated it again. Yesterday I remembered I had some calf compression socks squirreled away and when I put them on last night it seemed to help so I'll wear them and see how it goes. I'll report back.

QOTD-Yeah ticks. Fun. The regular ticks don't bother me but who invented these deer ticks? I spray up with Deep Woods Off and check myself right away after I go thru questionable areas. Do another check when finished and then always have that paranoid creepy feeling that I think I feel one crawling on me. I guess luckily I don't have much hair left on my head for them to hide in anymore. 

I think my main exposure comes in fall grouse hunting as I'm spending long hours bushwacking thru prime habitat.

AT-runner

Tim

What an awesome way to start my day. Thanks, Cindy. John M would have loved to have read that. 

No splendid run for me today. Work all day and then 5 hour drive to somewhere in southern VA for the night. Then another 5 hours to Hilton Head tomorrow. Weather for the weeks looks sketchy, but it will be warmer than South Central PA.

QOTD:  If you look at a Lyme prevalence map, it encompasses most of the people in this forum. MI, WI, PA, MD, NY, NJ, VT, ME. NH.

I use deep woods off on most of my runs, but don't start using it until the spiders come out.  That was a mistake. Seems those little boogers don't die off in the winter and can spring to life on any warm weather days, like we had here in early February. I also keep my hair very short so I can do an easy tic check.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

GC100k

7 miles on the dreadmill last night. 4 mi on indoor track this morning.

QOTD: When we first moved to Arkansas, we went hiking by the Buffalo River on Labor Day weekend. It was so beautiful and we wondered why nobody else was there. After awhile we looked down and there were hundreds of ticks covering our legs and feet. Yes, I said hundreds, maybe thousands. We went into the river and got them off (and ended up skinny-dipping), but we learned that ticks are just a fact of life in the summer. If you or your kids or dogs are outside in the summer, you will have ticks. It's just routine to pick them off when you come in. I've never done anything about them except pick them off, but maybe I should now that I'm in Lyme country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tiPndMqxLQ

Bert-o

I lost my rama

moonlight - That was fantastic reading!  Thanks.  I hope that old woman sticks around many more decades as I'm sure you will be part of her untapped memories.

Went out last evening for a few mile slush run.  Fun to see only your footprints on trail.  Unfortunately, under the slushy snow was a lot of water.  So very wet feet.

Practicing my warden smile (still have some work to do)...

Will go out for more slushy miles tonight.

QOTD:  Wear shorts only.  I'll spray my shoes heavily and lower legs.  Avoid grassy areas.  But If I do run into grass or any taller vegetation, I will check myself for ticks.  After the run, I take my shoes off and put on flip flops.  Good time to do a last tick check.  Been pretty good so far (knock on wood).

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Cindy- very nice 

Bert-o- smile is coming along nicely 

I’ll give it a go:  see warden run last night, see Tiny E run last night, run warden, run Tiny E, run (for 3-ish miles)

will get out this evening for a few miles

qotd: luckily no deer ticks, but lots of “regular” ticks, confined to Spring time- I spray my wool socks with Permethrin and always do a check. I seem to attract ticks more than other folks, but very rarely do they latch on- I’ve plucked 100’s (1000’s???) of ticks off of me and have had only two attached- not bad for 60 years running around the woods

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

Morning folks. Yesterday ended up an unplanned rest day. After a quick blood draw in the morning, I was tired all day. And today is not off to a good start. DS's PT appt ran long, had to cancel meeting up with a running friend in order to get the kiddo to school and such. If you give me a few more minutes, I'm pretty sure I can come up with more excuses.

Bert-- excellent.

qotd: Living in a high tick zone (even in the city, way too many deer in our parks), I try to get rid of them as quickly as possible. At the trailhead when I'm done with a run, I usually switch to flip flops and wipe down the extremities with baby wipes. Then  shower soon, clothes into the laundry. I save the deep woods off for the hard core woods and long hikes.

Sandy-2

Very nice moonlight, I also wonder about the things they have "seen".  I especially think about that for the lone ones clinging to seaside cliffs or mountains.

I plan to run after work today.

qotd: fortunately in a low Lyme area, but we have lots of ticks.  I usually just pick them off, but if I know I'll be doing a lot of bushwhacking I'll put on the Deep Woods stuff.   Great - now my head is itchy.

tbd.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Showed up for Friday's group run at 6:15 our Monday time..Friday's are 6:30 so I took that extra 15 minutes to add some additional miles Facebook. 

I dreamed a co-worker was digging his fingers into my claves last night, it was very painful and I decided I was going to kick the shit out of him when I woke up with a cramp in my calve.    This is someone I supervise and he drives me crazy....I don't think I need Jamie to interrupt that dream. 

QOTD:  Nothing...one nipped me on the neck last weekend but I pulled him off before he had time to do much....I hope.  I do use the drops on my dogs.

Moonlight: The sky was blue this morning...turning gray again tonight...  loved your poem.  I love trees...one time on this trail I came around a corner and saw a man hugging a very large pine tree...it made me want to hug the man. 

Northern:  We need pictures of you in your knee socks. 

Bert-O:  That looks very cold..we all need to have a warden QOTD where we post selfies.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NorthernHarrier

There will be no pics of an old guy wearing calf compression socks. It's just not a good look at all. I do think they do offer some help though as opposed to just a vanity thing like arm panties (made famous in a photo of XT).  Did manage 14 miles this morning though my stride was a little shorter, my pace a little slower, and I didn't push any hills. Gonna do some weights then a heating pad on the calf and who knows...maybe a short road bike. Planning on heading north to the cabin either later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Just placed my order with REI spending my dividend and using the 20% discount. Didn't get as much this year as I was using a Cabelas card for half the year. Ordered a little lightweight camping cot(Helinox) that Warden had when we were together in Glacier plus yet some more running socks.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Just placed my order with REI spending my dividend and using the 20% discount. Didn't get as much this year as I was using a Cabelas card for half the year. Ordered a little lightweight camping cot(Helinox) that Warden had when we were together in Glacier plus yet some more running socks.

I found an OR jacket that was $299 and on sale for 50% off at REI.  After applying the dividend, it was $26.  All that hard spending last year paid off.

And... arm panties. 

Nice run this morning.  Hope your calf feels better.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I looked through a bunch of pics and couldn’t find any knee high ones of NH; of course if I did I certainly wouldn’t have posted them up for everyone to see 

I got a pretty good dividend this year (we even put groceries on the card)- I sold my SPOT satellite tracker and going to be purchasing an inReach tracker. The ability to two way text via satellite is a game changer. If I ever end having to bail on the Bob Open, being able to text my DW on what trailhead and when to be there would be huge. Would be handy too if I needed help packing an elk out, get the word out to a buddy or two.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Not happy it's Friday. That means I'll be working the next two days.

11.0 miles on the mountain. Too sloppy, slushy and muddy for spikes but also so much deep stuff I should have had them.

QOTD: Permethrin.   Never have had one when my clothing, everything except my hat has been treated.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

(made famous in a photo of XT).

Hehe.  I still have that.  I don't remember why I made him wearing pink mittens though.

Running is dumb.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I was wondering if this was going to show   for the first time I realized the arm panties are actually drawn on   thought you had only added the mittens.  Nice arms by the way XT

Hehe.  I still have that.  I don't remember why I made him wearing pink mittens though.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄