Trailer Trash

Kexit Mondaily (Read 20 times)

Sandy-2

Yup, the end of the 2 year assignment is coming near and we're starting to plan for the Korean Exit.  Looks like I’ll be here thru Sept (which is good for my UTMF plans) then heading back.  Of course that is provided I can kick out the current occupants in my house back in TX. Or we can simply move in with them, since it is my DD and her boyfriend. . .  that’s not gonna happen.  LOL.

I took a SRD today.  I have to say though for the first time my foot/heel is completely pain-free today.  Maybe that downhill heel impact yesterday was good for it.  Who knows?

Qotd: Any friends or family who are police officers?

Not to get too heavy here, but it is almost hard to believe what is going on back there, WTF?  My DW had an uncle who was on the NYPD a long time ago. An ok guy who is gone now, but I remember him as not wanting to discuss work much.  I think he tried to separate family and work time as much as possible, made sense all things considered.

I also have a running buddy back home who is currently a big-wig on the Houston PD. It would be interesting to run a few miles with him these days, he’s probably stressed to the max.

tbd.

Daydreamer1

Wow, talk about getting an early start on the Mondailies.  I was just going to wait until tomorrow to post until tomorrow but I'm kind of bored.  At this time I'm only planning on 4-5 easy miles tomorrow afternoon. Trying to taper a little for my 12 hour run and rest my right knee a little. Somehow I managed to twist or bump it several weeks ago and now it's giving me some mild pain.

Sandy - Hard to believe that you've been over there for two years. Somehow it doesn't seem like it was that long.  Has your Korean improved or can you use English enough that you don't need much Korean?

QOTD:  No friends or family in the Police department.  I have a lot of interaction with a variety of departments. I'm really getting alarmed by what I'm seeing, especially over the past 5-6 years.  The attitude of too many new officers is to shoot first and ask questions later.  Two of our EMT's went through the police academy recently.  One kept working for us for awhile and when he came back to work a shift he got pissed off at me for cleaning up around the station and threatened to stab me .  The other one was talking to his wife about getting a gun for her for self protection and when I told him what I carry he bluntly told me that if I ever used it in self defense I would probably get shot or go to jail when the police were done with me .  I could go on and cite some other specific examples but I won't. There are a lot of angry people joining the police departments these days and it's scary.  They have less and less respect for anyone and the very laws they are supposed to uphold.  Things sure have changed in the past 20 years .  It's kind of sad to say, but if I'm not in uniform I would rather walk through the projects of Harrisburg and York cities in the middle of the night than get pulled over by some of the police in some areas.  Both Harrisburg and York routinely show up on the 50 most dangerous cities so the projects are dangerous.

For the record the Harrisburg police are pretty decent and five years ago when I last worked in York they were too.  Some of the Regional ones though are scary.

LB2

I just could not seem to get out of bed this morning. I took last week off to just hang around with the kids and goof off before school starts back. I did not get the running in that I wanted to, but I got some decent miles. I'm glad you are coming back over here, Sandy. Things have gone to crap since you left.

QOTD: I have quite a few friends on the police force. At least one of them is on the Baton Rouge force. He was not shot yesterday, but I am sure he knows the guys who were. I think people have gone absolutely crazy. And police officers are the ones who have to deal with most of the crazy ones. So, yeah, sometimes they come off as assholes. Some are assholes. But most just want to make sure they make it home. If they have to put their hands on someone, they better do it like they mean it. Otherwise, it is pointless to even be out there.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Had 2 very hot runs over the weekend. Saturday we followed markers that were up for a Sunday MTB race. Was fun to see how they were connecting sections of trails to get 20 miles for the race.  For example, I would have run their course the opposite way so my climbs were steep and short and my downhills were long and gradual, they wanted it the other way.  Sunday we ran far away from the race location and went to a section where I usually see bears. No bear sighting fur us. Saw a rattler, but that was all.

Stay cool this week. They say we're under a "heat dome" and are blaming the "corn sweat" for it. WTF, does the Weather Channel just make this shit up. First they name winter storms and now corn is taking the rap.

Sandy - Are you happy to be leaving, or would you rather stay in Korea longer?

QOTD:  When my Grandfather came from Ireland, his 3 brothers went to work for DC Police (Grandfather opened a bar). We had 12 police at one point in the family.  Yes, there are some bad cops, and yes, the media only likes to report on that.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

bike to work and strength train this evening is the plan; a wee bit sore from the Devil's Backbone, but that's to be expected- will post a RR up soon

qotd: I think I'm now past 30 year mark now as a sworn law enforcement officer; my thoughts on the events of late: it's for the most part a pretty thankless job (and low paying) for asking someone to put almost each and every action daily under scrutiny, not to mention putting their life on the line daily.  I'm glad I'm on the exiting end of my career vs starting.  Recruitment into this career field is already difficult and is going to be increasingly difficult the way things are going- that's not going to bide well for all of us.  Most deadly force decisions are made in miliseconds and while the vast (vast) majority of decisions are correct, there are going to be decisions that under close scrutiny are not- regardless of experience and training, people are fallible unfortunately.  Even when an officer makes the right decision, you now have to live with the realization that you've taken a life- I can't imagine that's an easy thing.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

QOTD: I have quite a few friends on the police force. At least one of them is on the Baton Rouge force. He was not shot yesterday, but I am sure he knows the guys who were. I think people have gone absolutely crazy. And police officers are the ones who have to deal with most of the crazy ones. So, yeah, sometimes they come off as assholes. Some are assholes. But most just want to make sure they make it home. If they have to put their hands on someone, they better do it like they mean it. Otherwise, it is pointless to even be out there.

I was thinking about you last night. Hope all is safe and well. Very sad.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Not sure about running today. Probably just walk the dogs tonight but we shall see. Sweltering out there, but the reason for the "no run" is it looks like I have second knee cap on my left leg. One of the spills I took at the fatass 25k on Saturday must have been worse than it felt. I took a real beating out there as I also took a header into one of those trees you see once in awhile at head height hanging over the trail. I was running hard, watching my feet through the brush and slam. Gotta' love trail running!

QOTD: No police in my immediate family. My niece wanted to be a detective and went through the program but a few months in a squad car in a town outside of Atlanta she changed her mind. I think most of us were relieved, especially my sister.

Sandy - Congrats on your pending return to the states... I think.

AT - LOL about the weather channel. And here I thought it was hot because it was summer!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

I was thinking about you last night. Hope all is safe and well. Very sad.

We are safe, and at least we don't have "corn sweats". I have been laughing at the Weather Channel for years with the naming of winter storms. I just think that is silly.

LB2

muppy

Glad your coming back to the states Sandy!

7.5 miles around town yesterday.

QOTD I have a good friend and uncle who are retired PA State Police. I feel for the police, you never know if a suspect or car you pulled over is going to pull a gun, now you have snipers also.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

So my toe was throbbing pretty good this morning after my long run from yesterday.  I wanted to just not run but I needed to at least walk the dogs, so we ran 3 miles in our neighbors woods where you go round and round and never really pick up much speed.  Earl found a buried fawn leg, and was able to rip a good chunk of flesh off before I got it away from him.  Wonder if he will be puking it up or shitting it out.  At any rate it won't be pretty.

QOTD:  My BIL is a cop in Indio, CA.  He was promoted to detective for awhile but hated it.  He likes working a beat and getting to know a neighborhood.  He must be really good at that because they named a community Center after him and he is still alive.  My Uncle is a retired COP.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

QOTD:  My BIL is a cop in Indio, CA.  He was promoted to detective for awhile but hated it.  He likes working a beat and getting to know a neighborhood.  He must be really good at that because they named a community Center after him and he is still alive.  My Uncle is a retired COP.

It is EXTREMELY rare to have something named after you while you are still alive. I've been to Indio, but I never met any cops there.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Got out for a couple of good morning runs before the heat of the day S & S.  Today I think I will rest.  I have two races coming up on Saturday so I need to chill this week.

Sandy - back i the states huh? Hope that's what you want.

Congrats to Kelly for finishing up HR!! Way to go.

QOTD: No but it's crazy what is going on.  On Friday there was supposedly going to be a "rage rally" which affected employees of my company (our main office is in downtown Pittsburgh).  It caused a bit of an issue as folks in my office had to cover the phone coverage.  They do not like doing so.  In the end, the rage rally was all a hoax.

DD - I have been through the hood in Hbg and York.  I used to work in York.  There are definitely some people there that don't give a rip...the police were mostly helpful in my opinion.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Since you've been to Indio you know it's not a nice place to be...lot's of Mexican Gangbanging.  He was border patrol before then.

It is EXTREMELY rare to have something named after you while you are still alive. I've been to Indio, but I never met any cops there.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

Since you've been to Indio you know it's not a nice place to be...lot's of Mexican Gangbanging.  He was border patrol before then.

I was just passing through. That whole high desert is really weird, but I kind of like it.

LB2

Daydreamer1

DD - I have been through the hood in Hbg and York.  I used to work in York.  There are definitely some people there that don't give a rip...the police were mostly helpful in my opinion.

Some really good officers in both York and HBG. I have some really humorous stories from some of those guys. Also could use a few things that they've done for training videos, examples of how to do it right.  Things like good community involvement, how to take down a agitated/violent person without just shooting them. Awhile back I was on the scene of a shooting in the city and there was a lot of good interaction between the public and police and that was in a nastier area of the hood.  The HBG officers blew the whistle on a couple of the Troopers that were recently fired for abusing prisoners.  I knew the one Trooper that was fired. In my opinion he deserved jail time for some of the things he did that I knew about. The problem that I see is that HBG is getting some younger officers that just seem scared, angry and edgy.

The one township I sometimes work in also has a pretty good force where as some of the townships have forces that are no better than the hood rats. It all depends on the leadership of a department.   Also worked with the female officer that  killed the mental patient the other year. Had a huge chip on her shoulder and seemed to be looking for a fight. Never was comfortable with her showing up on my scenes. There are ways to calm a scene and ways to inflame things. She was more likely to irritate people.