Trailer Trash

Where to run my first 100M - or should I forget it? (Read 78 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Since you mentioned how busy you are during retail season, might want to factor in the availability to get in your long runs leading up to the race.  

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Since you mentioned how busy you are during retail season, might want to factor in the availability to get in your long runs leading up to the race.  

The weather would be more a factor if we get an early, hard winter. I'm semi-retired so work only 20-25 hours per week. It's just a bad time of year to take time off  because we need the experienced staff along with all the seasonal help, and I usually work the weekends when we're busiest and when it's hardest to find someone to cover vacations and absences.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

George, I did the 3 Days at the Fair event last May, it was outstanding. This year's races should be quite the show, apparently there are some big runners that are going to attempt a new 48 hour record.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

George, I did the 3 Days at the Fair event last May, it was outstanding. This year's races should be quite the show, apparently there are some big runners that are going to attempt a new 48 hour record.

I've nothing planned that weekend. If my work schedule allows, I may drive up and offer to crew, volunteer, or pace a slower runner. I'm not ready, at least mentally, to attempt a 100 this year. I'm working my way up. They don't include 100 Miles as one of their races, but I could consider entering the 48 hour race and stop at 100M - or go on if I'm crazy enough.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

George, I know Jen (Toyger) and Groove are doing that race this year.  They did it last year too.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Between this, some suggestions from FB friends, and my own research, I've compiled the following list of possibilities. Dates are approximate but they at least give me a general timeframe for planning. I'm sure my perspective and criteria or preferences will change as I get more experience with ultras and trails, but then I have at least 6 months before I need to make any decisions. (I think Umstead registration opens in September.)

01/31-2/1/15    Rocky Raccoon (TX), 30 hours (start last of 5 loops by 24 hours)

02/14-15/15     Jackpot Ultra (NV), 30 hours

03/07-08/15     Razorback (CA), 35 hours

03/07-08/15     Graveyard (NC), 30 hours

03/28-29/15     BLU (CA), 31 hours

04/04-05/15     Umstead (NC), 30 hours

04/25-26/15     C&O Canal (MD), 30 hours

05/23-24/15     Pigtails Challenge (WA), 32 hours

06/07-08/15     Kettle Moraine (WI), 30 hours

08/01-02/15     Burning River (OH), 30 hours

08/08-09/15     Beast of Burden (Summer),(NY), 30 hours

08/15-16/15     Run de Vous (CA), 32 hours

09/05-06 /15    Pine Creek Challenge (PA), 30 hours

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Gumby66

might want to add Javalina to the list,  I've heard good things about it and the RDs are great guys

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

might want to add Javalina to the list,  I've heard good things about it and the RDs are great guys

Javalina kinda scared me when I saw completions rate of about 50%. Any idea why it's that low, or is that typical of finish rates for 100s?

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Gumby66

Javalina kinda scared me when I saw completions rate of about 50%. Any idea why it's that low, or is that typical of finish rates for 100s?

I think last year might have been an exception, it was a bit hotter than usual. You do need to have some heat training under your belt. I heard a lot of people dropped down to shorter distances, so maybe not quite as bad as it looks. I've only run mountain 100's so 50% is not that unusual to me.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Well no one else has said it so I will - "Just forget it!" It's a ludicrous idea, you will never be able to complete it.  You are crazy for even thinking this let alone trying to run a 100 miler.  Ok that is out.  Once you get past that, you are fine.

My non 100 mile running 2-cents is make a judement call on flat 100 vs. semi rugged trail 100 vs. very rugged trail 100.  It soulds like the last is not an option for you so that keeps it a bit more simple.

Just to touch base on the Pine Creek and Oil Creek stuff - I am sue you have figured out by now they are flat vs. semi rugged.  Pine Creek is flat as can be and in a beautiful place.  Oil Creek is not flat but also not terribly difficult (in comparison) and also in a beautiful area.  Both (from what I have heard) are first time friendly races.

edit: If you look at 2013 Oil Creek finising percentages, don't! It was unusually hot n humid during the day and created some havoc.  It is usually cooler that time of year.

Good luck in your decision.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Birdwell

I know Javelina is one of the few that will let you drop down from the 100 mile to 100K during the race (and get a buckle).

I wonder if that contributes to the low completion rate?

I've also read somewhere that a lot of the "easy" hundreds have low completion rates because a lot of first timers try them out, without being fully prepared. For example, look at Western States or Hardrocks completion rates (both over 70%) and realize that they require pretty stout qualifying runs to even get in.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I know Javelina is one of the few that will let you drop down from the 100 mile to 100K during the race (and get a buckle).

I wonder if that contributes to the low completion rate?

You can also bail at Kettle Moraine at the 100K point too.  (Not that I would let you do that, George.  )

Another race with a good amount of time is Zumbro 100 (34 hours.)  April in Minnesota can mean iffy weather though.  I don't think the 100 has sold out yet though.  I was considering that for my first one.  I believe it is 6 loops.

Running is dumb.

Messenjah

DAMMIT MANDY!!!! DON'T JINX THE WEATHER!!! This is my first 100 and I need it to be 70's during the day and 50's during the night with no mud!!!................and yes, 6 loops

Another race with a good amount of time is Zumbro 100 (34 hours.)  April in Minnesota can mean iffy weather though.  I don't think the 100 has sold out yet though.  I was considering that for my first one.  I believe it is 6 loops.

On On

I've nothing planned that weekend. If my work schedule allows, I may drive up and offer to crew, volunteer, or pace a slower runner. I'm not ready, at least mentally, to attempt a 100 this year. I'm working my way up. They don't include 100 Miles as one of their races, but I could consider entering the 48 hour race and stop at 100M - or go on if I'm crazy enough.

It will be great to see you even if it is as a crew or volunteer.  Pacing is not allowed though but cheering on all runners is encouraged.

I am sure you are mentally ready to do 100 miles.  All it takes is time and forward progress.  If you give yourself 48 hours I am sure you will surprise yourself with how well you do.  There is a coin for finishing 100 miles and it is on a certified course so you know you went at least 100 miles in the time it shows on the clock.  Not many other races are certified 100 miles no matter what the cutoff.

Let me know if you have any questions, either here or direct message.

Hasher Rick

co RD for 3 Days at the Fair

mep5555

I highly recommend Prairie Spirit 100-miler in Kansas the last weekend in March (same weekend as BLU). It's about as flat as you can get, and is nearly entirely crushed gravel (some asphalt in the major towns along the route). Cutoff is 30 hours