Trailer Trash

Numb toes? Especially uphill. (Read 35 times)

Chnaiur

Does anyone else get numb toes when running, and have you figured out if there is anything to do about it?

For me, the tingling usually starts at around 1.5 hours and progresses to full numbness in an additional hour. Yesterday I noticed it first time when I was climbing, and I think that it usually starts in the uphills.

I've had this for years and years, and wonder about it every run but always forget to ask.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Watoni

Due to cold or just running?

Chnaiur

Due to cold or just running?

Just running, regardless of temperature. Seems not a lot of people here have felt it.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

runtraildc

Yes-- and if you'll excuse my non-medical and non-technical language, I'll describe what worked for me.  Maybe it is similar to what is going on with your feet.  For me, it was not related at all to weather and was only in my right foot, and usually after a few miles.    After a Dr Google search, I narrowed it down to a possible pinched nerve that recommended some exercises to strengthen the muscles in my foot, especially in my arch.  I have very high arches, but I cannot remember now if that was a factor or not.  I figured I had nothing to lose, and likely no damage to be done, so I tried it.

The main exercise was to stand and raise my big toe, while leaving the remaining toes and the rest of my foot firmly planted on the ground.  This sounds a lot easier than it was at first (for me).  I think I had to hold the toe raised for 10 seconds, then repeat.  It began to improve after a week or two, and I've had no issues since (I've since taken up regular yoga and many of the exercises strengthen and stretch my foot muscles).  Hope this helps!

NorthernHarrier

I have gotten it from time to time and with certain shoes. Starts after just a couple miles. Couple things that work for me--Change the lacing on the shoe so the area towards the toes are looser, less pressure while still lacing the rest of the foot tightly and I  also use Superfeet insoles in 5 of the 6 active shoes I have in the rotation. Definite correlation I think with better arch support.

Chnaiur

Rundc and Northern: thanks a lot!

>> The main exercise was to stand and raise my big toe, while leaving the remaining toes and the rest of my foot firmly planted on the ground.  This sounds a lot easier than it was at first (for me).  I think I had to hold the toe raised for 10 seconds, then repeat.  It began to improve after a week or two, and I've had no issues since (I've since taken up regular yoga and many of the exercises strengthen and stretch my foot muscles).  Hope this helps!

Awesome - I definitely have weak arches, and went to a podiatrist for it. They only showed me a way to tape and gave me insoles though. Are there any other exercises you could recommend? I just took off my shoes and started working on the toe lift.

>>  I  also use Superfeet insoles in 5 of the 6 active shoes I have in the rotation.

Thanks! Another confirmation for weak arches. I'll try those insoles as the ones the Podiatrist gave me poked too hard in the middle of the foot.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I have had some issues with my big toe on my left foot going numb but it is usually not when I am running.  Actually it could be when I am running but I do not pay attention to it.  But at home with no shoes on, then I notice.  But it's only really my big toe and occasionally my second toe.  The correlation with the arches sounds right.  I have been dealing with foot issues for a while now, running in orthotics and have very high arches.  My PT had me doing the toe exercise too.  It helps with all around foot strengthening.

I don't have much more to offer.  Hope you can get this figured out.  BTW - running in orthotics (whether custom or store bought) takes some getting used to.  It is not for everyone but gets easier after time.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday