Trailer Trash

It's all about me Monday (Read 26 times)

XtremeTaper

Ha. I defended my title yesterday at Whispering Pines 12 hour running 12 laps, 57.6 miles, in 11:02 and change. I had time for another lap to hit 100k but it was dark, I had a cold beer in the cooler, and thought it would be good to get home an hour earlier. Had a bit of a challenge with some young 20 year old who I named Tallahassee Slim, but he was hesitant about the distance as it was his first foray into a 12 hour race. He ran with me for 8 laps, I think dropped at 9 but he set a new personal distance record and that was cool. Perfect weather in FL for an ultra.. high 30's to start, 70 max at midday, and cooling nicely late afternoon. Low humidity too.

Lap splits (4.8 mile trail loop): 46:32, 52:40, 49:29, 48:25, 50:01, 56:45, 59:18, 61:45, 61:44, 58:49, 59:09, 57:52

No run for me today. We are planning to kayak in the crystal river to view the manatees.

QOTD: What NOT to do the day after an ultra or hard race?

For me, avoid long car rides. Ouch.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

I'll run after work. I just wasn't feeling it this morning or yesterday. Congratulations on your race, Xtreme.

QOTD: I try to avoid sitting around doing nothing, even though that is exactly what I want to do.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Sitting on the tarmac at the airport.  Was supposed to leave at 6 am but the deicing truck nroke down. Not very happy.  Got some miles in pacing in the terminal. Trying it again.

AT-runner

Tim

Congratulations, XT.  Way to repeat.  Nice splits, too.

Maybe Kelly will stop by and tell us about his 24 hour "W" this weekend.  Nice job, Lace!

Going to rest today. Snow and ice right now, so roads and trails will be a mess.

QOTD:  Long airplane trip.  Did this the morning after the Chicago and Dublin Marathons.  I felt fine walking on the plane, but when we got pressurized and I sat still I got stiffer by the minute.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NHLA

Congrats XT! Way to go. Thin layer of ice forming on roads. Looks like 50s and sunshine for 25k this weekend!! qotd stay away from others. It is too easy to get sick when you are weak.
            mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Congrats XT!  that's a lot of miles in a short time frame 

was planning on snowshoeing and bagging Casey Peak today (day off), but it's windier than all hell and supposed to get worse (gusts to 60-70 mph ) on top of the peak it would be intolerable; sooooo.... will try and squeeze in a 5-ish mile run (tucked away in the timber as much as possible) and probably get a strength training session in this evening

qotd: definitely sitting too long- after our R2R2R we drove back to Phoenix to catch a flight- I can't even describe how crippled up I looked (and felt) getting out of the car

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

Just under 5 in fluffy snow.  Wanted to get out before the sleet starts later today and tomorrow's calling for rain so it was now or never...

XT-- nice work (and good job showing that kid who's who )  kayaking sounds like an amazing post-race recovery.

DD- Hope the airport/plane situation sorts itself out soon.  Nothing worse than a delay to a vacation.

qotd:  Hmm, don't have a good answer-- My races are short -- HM or less, so I'm not dealing with the pain, stiffness and exhaustion of an ultra.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I had a decent week last week -- 34.6 miles / 4 days.  That's about the max my refurbished hip has been able to handle so far.  I'll experiment with more miles once nicer weather comes along and continue to base build and be consistent until then.  Today is a SRD for me.

Congrats on keeping your title, XT!  Very nice miles!

QOTD: Own a wild and crazy dog who needs exercise every day   I very distinctly remember limping around the dog park the day after my first 50.  It wasn't pretty.   Additional answer: stay on the second floor of a hotel.

Running is dumb.

muppy

5.3 miles on the icy roads.

Congratulations XT, that's awesome!

QOTD It would be sitting too much, I like to keep moving around to keep the stiffness away.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I had a decent week last week -- 34.6 miles / 4 days.  That's about the max my refurbished hip has been able to handle so far.  I'll experiment with more miles once nicer weather comes along and continue to base build and be consistent until then.  

damn Mandy- not shabby at all!  

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Trying to head out for some fluff stuff miles on the mountain before the freezing rain hits. Now why do 16 degrees feel so warm today?

So it's going to be snow and freezing rain overnight - and I'll start work tomorrow at 5 a.m. again. Perhaps start driving to work at 4 then? 

Congratulations, XT, that is awesome! Glad you were able to defend your title and keep the youngster at bay. Great splits!

DD1: Hope your second attempt will get you there!

QOTD: Definitely long car rides. After driving home from my first 100-miler, I was crying out for a walker to get me from the car to the house.

On another note, what not to do BEFORE an ultra: Park your car uphill from the finish line. 

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

Well, we got to the motel. And yes, there are some small palm trees outside. For some reason it looks alot like Atlanta Ga .  If Delta can get things done right, we will get to Honolulu tomorrow after noon. I was planning on going up to the North Shore tomorrow instead I'll be on a plane. At least the first leg will be in business class. What has me upset is that the weather was not at fault.  It was either Delta, the airport or who ever is in charge of deicing that had multiple vehicles fail.

Probably put on 2 miles navigating Atlanta's airport.

XT - Congrats on the win.  Let us know how the Kayaking is. I thought they had closed Kayaking in that area because there were so many Manatees congregating there for  the warmth.

QOTD:  Sitting or trying to climb in and out of a high pick up truck.  The worst my legs ever felt was after I rode up Mt Washington NH. Didn't walk completely normal for about a week. The first two days I had do pull myself in and out of vehicles.

bagge_pants

Felt like I needed another recovery day, 2 miles treadmill during lunch, some weight work followed.

Tomorrow, I am running long, in the outside world, in 40 degree f weather and I don't care if it will be raining. Rejoice.

Qotd: Being sedentary.

QOTD2, what not do before: Warming up. Haha. First trail marathon (yes I know it wasn't an ultra but still felt like it?) I did I warmed up for 20+ minutes. I went out too fast (half marathon effort) and blew up at mile 16 and the time I walked it in the temps were in the 80's. If i didn't warm up I might have had a better experience since the start was cold and a cold start is good for a long day.

bagge_pants

Those are some pretty even splits XT! Congrats on the race.

How often do you check pace when you are running all day? Or was it by pure feel? Also, what did you eat? I'm always curious about ultra nutrition.

AT-runner

Tim

I had a decent week last week -- 34.6 miles / 4 days.  That's about the max my refurbished hip has been able to handle so far.  I'll experiment with more miles once nicer weather comes along and continue to base build and be consistent until then.  Today is a SRD for me.

Very happy to read this!   You've had a long haul, don't overdo it.  I'm sure you're getting some good advice from PR.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!