Trailer Trash

Laurel Highlands Ultra Race Report (DNF) (Read 39 times)

This was not an easy one to write but I finally got it all out!

Laurel Highlands Ultra Race Report

some call me Tim

Wow. Nice write-up, especially considering you didn't pull any punches with yourself. It sounds as though you're in the middle of a greater journey... I hope you find what you're looking for along the way :-)

Oh, and thanks for the course and race descriptions... there's a decent chance I'll be putting that entry in the mail this fall as well.

runtraildc

TnC-- great to hear from you and thanks for sharing your RR.  I'm sorry you had such a tough race and that it ended with a DNF.  Did someone around here say that s/he learned more from their DNF than any other race?  Well, if so, it seems as if you, too, are getting a new perspective on this race and your running in general.  Good luck on the next one, whatever it is.

I won't be putting that registration form into the mail (probably ever) so you have the greatest respect from me for doing so.

LB2

Hmmm. That is a good race report. DNF's are not something I like to deal with because I don't race enough to just take it in stride. Personally, I don't like when people say, "You made the right call" or something to that effect. In most cases, myself included, the decision is made when we aren't exactly thinking clearly. It isn't like things are going great, and we just decide to quit. I think you should go back, if not 2016 then 2017. Most of the time, I think the DNF is not the right call. I have one, and it was not the right call. I was mad, hot, dehydrated, and I couldn't do math.

Regardless of whether or not you determine that you truly made the right decision, I think the value in a DNF is often overlooked. I think it may be the most valuable experience you can have as a runner once you gain a little perspective on it. I think the occasional DNF forces you to take a hard look at yourself as a runner, and maybe as a person, and can be a catalyst to positive change. Mostly, that change is needed in attitude, not training. At least, that was the case for me. Thanks for sharing your report.

LB2

Watoni

Agree it is a very good and honest write up.

I used to never DNF cycling or running. I have only DNF'd runs due to injury or where it is a training run for something else and I am worried it will impact my ultimate goal to push on. Cycling, I have to say sometimes now I just don't care enough if things are not going my way and I have completed the ride/race multiple times.

I think you have to work out where your head is at. I am so bummed by my current injury woes that pain free running is my primary goal. I would love to get a WS qualifier this year or run the NFEC 50-miler in December; however, if I can even run my normal 6-mile loop like a kid again by year's end, that would be great. Barring injury, though, I would not quit any run this year -- sometimes you do not get another chance as quickly as you might think. If I also commit to something like the Cent Cols Challenge in the Pyrenees in September, I will do everything to finish although I am not really in shape for it.

Bottom line after my rambling -- if you cannot motivate yourself to finish when you still have the opportunity (barring injury), maybe the goal is not something your heart is not truly in.

Also, I know Tailwind works for many -- not for me on long efforts, so perhaps try some B2B long runs with different nutrition.

I use various items, but since I am injured and mostly cycling I may experiment with Infinit -- they do custom blends and ask about GI issues, how long your events are, whether you use salt pills and have live chat or consultation

LB2

Also, I know Tailwind works for many -- not for me on long efforts, so perhaps try some B2B long runs with different nutrition.

I use various items, but since I am injured and mostly cycling I may experiment with Infinit -- they do custom blends and ask about GI issues, how long your events are, whether you use salt pills and have live chat or consultation

That was another thing I was going to mention but got sidetracked with work. I have had amazing results from Tailwind. I ran a 50 miler in 95 degree heat, with high humidity on Tailwind and a few orange slices. A couple of months later I ran a 100 with Tailwind, a little aid station food, and a double cheeseburger. But, what works for some doesn't always work for others... And sometimes what worked last time doesn't work next time. You never really know what is going to happen out there, and that is why it is so intriguing to keep going back.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Dani, sorry you had a bad day.  Sometimes sitting down and reevaluating can help you to not DNF.  When you hurt and things aren't ideal the mind will play terrible tricks with you and convince you that you can't when you usually can.  It would have been nice if you had some company to run / walk with and to push each other along.

As for Tailwind, when it's hot, I usually alternate with water so I'm getting enough fluid without too many calories to spoil the stomach.  Also ginger tablets (Walmart brand works fine) of ginger chews really help settle a bad tummy.  The secret is to use it right away and not wait until you get really nauseous.

That lake is "Lake Tahoe".  We had a place about 1/4 mile away from the lake for many years at Seven Springs.  Did a lot of running, skiing and mt biking on those hills.

Good luck in 2016, you have some redemption coming.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

thanks for the report; sucks on the dnf, but it is what it is- you'll have plenty of opportunities to conquer that course and am confident you will

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Thanks for the encouraging replies. Everyone makes very good points, and I do feel better about the DNF having written about it.

You're all right about the nutrition too. I used Tailwind all throughout training since January with great success. However, the one time it gave me issues was during the hot Hyner 50k I ran in April. I wouldn't say it doesn't work for me at all because I did several 26+ mile runs with it having no issues.

So it seems that my issue is dealing with heat and finding what nutrition/hydration works best in the heat. I thought Tailwind was the answer, and I even alternated with water. I think the problem was I didn't drink enough fluids in general to keep up with the humidity, and then didn't take in enough salt, causing nausea, which caused me to drink even less fluids etc. etc. Which ultimately caused dehydration, the mental low and DNF.

Daydreamer1

I've had one DNF but that was due to a ankle injury that made it impossible to continue.  It sucks.

It sounds like you have some of the same stomach issues that I have. Tailwind has helped on the runs up to 13-18 miles. If it's hot and/or humid I'll use 2-3 Endurolytes per hour.  Since the Tailwind doesn't seem to give me enough calories I've also been carrying some snacks for when my stomach feels empty. On my long 20+ mile runs I've also been taking a bottle of Perpetuem along. Seems complicated and it's a hassle but this year I've had less problems then before.

Watoni

Thanks for the encouraging replies. Everyone makes very good points, and I do feel better about the DNF having written about it.

You're all right about the nutrition too. I used Tailwind all throughout training since January with great success. However, the one time it gave me issues was during the hot Hyner 50k I ran in April. I wouldn't say it doesn't work for me at all because I did several 26+ mile runs with it having no issues.

So it seems that my issue is dealing with heat and finding what nutrition/hydration works best in the heat. I thought Tailwind was the answer, and I even alternated with water. I think the problem was I didn't drink enough fluids in general to keep up with the humidity, and then didn't take in enough salt, causing nausea, which caused me to drink even less fluids etc. etc. Which ultimately caused dehydration, the mental low and DNF.

If only during heat and humidity, what about adding salt tablets? I would have a look at your sweat rate (weigh yourself before a workout in those conditions (empty bladder) and then post-workout. Could give you a sense of fluid/salt replacement needs, especially if you are a salty sweater as I am.

Sandy-2

Thanks for the great RR.  Tough going on the DNF, sorry to hear.

I can relate to trying to figure out the balance between getting in fluids/fuel and stomach issues.  It is a touchy thing that changes with temps, humidity, miles traveled, and even terrain.  Also complicated by sometimes what works one day just doesn't work the next.  I've done a 100 miler on Gels alone and then another one where Gels were killing me and I ate nothing but "real food".  Ya gotta go with the flow with whatever is working on the day.  Problem is sometimes you get into a bad place trying to figure that out, the cycle you describe about being nauseous and then skipping or reducing the fuel/fluids is a death spiral, somehow ya gotta get the stuff into you to break it.

Anyway, sorry for my ramblings, but just know that you're not alone and we're pulling for you.  I'm sure you'll come back stronger.  Thanks again.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thank you for the RR, good read! Sorry for your DNF, that is tough to deal with, especially as you had high hopes for that race. However, I am sure you'll figure out how to change or supplement your nutrition and then come back stronger.

I need lots of calories in the heat, and on difficult terrain, up to 350 calories per hour on average over the duration of the race. Since I switched from Perpetuem to Sustained Energy, which contains less fat, even though the amounts we are talking about here are very small, I have not gotten nauseous on a run so far. I also found that with more calories, it is less likely for me to suffer from nausea.

I also use 2 Endurolytes per hour, regardless of the temperature. Maybe this helps.

Run for fun.

XtremeTaper

Sorry about the DNF. Weird you had stomach issues like me.. I used the tailwind too for the first time in a race but I don't think I attribute my issues to that. Well, maybe. I did pre-hydrate with it which was maybe too much. I bounced back though after 22 miles then felt great the rest of the run. I hope you get back some year, if not next, and can give this race another go. More importantly don't let the DNF kill your running mojo. Hope you are starting to bounce back!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Just getting to read this.  Thanks for sharing the raw emotions you had.  (Disclaimer - I am going to sound like a therapist here...).  It helps to talk about the feelings you had and in this case write about them.  It's part of the process of learning and growing - as a runner but also as a person.  Ok ok enough of that.

Congrats on the attempt.  I do hope you try again.  LH is on my list but more than likely 2017 or beyond.

On the issue of hydration/nutrition - maybe there isn't an answer for the heat and humidity.  Some people just don't do well in it - myself included.  The only suggestion I have, if it appears it will be really humid, is to slow way down in the beginning - taking more than usual walking breaks.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday