Trailer Trash

WSER - Gordy Wasn't the 1st One (Great Article) (Read 33 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Nice historic article on the first group of men to cover what would become the WSER on foot.  It was a military challenge (much like JFK50, etc.)

I heard this story before (might have been from John M), but touches on the politics involved with who eventually got credit and became the face of WSER.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I read that as well , great article . The picture he included of Hal Hall on El Karbaj was great too . Not that anyone cares but a few Arabian horse people , a related horse and the last one bred by that farm completed the Tevis in 2014.

I meant to look up the article for the Tevis in 1972  ( Arabian Horse World Magazine)  to see if it mentions the men ,

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Wow, great article!  Thanks for sharing AT.

valerie - My oldest sister had an Arabian she rode in competitive endurance rides.  I think she went up to 50 miles in distance.  I'd have to ask her.  But her Arabian was a heck of an endurance horse!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Daydreamer1

Took me three sitting to get though it.  Great reading and I'm really glad that someone is telling the soldiers story.  It's just really sad that Western States felt the need to bury the history.   I love digging into history to find the real truth.

Sandy-2

Great article. I also like the historical stuff. Weird that WSER didn’t acknowledge it before now. They should.

Valerie, my DD has a few photos of herself riding up Cougar Rock similar to the one in the article. 

tbd.

Gator eye

Good read.

fimmx

I loved the article. Thank you for posting.