Trailer Trash

Wild Weather Thursday (Read 19 times)

runtraildc

At least out east. We've dropped 40 degrees in the last 24 hours, and a gale warning is in effect. At least the snow passed us by. Good luck to our northern trailers.  I was planning a run this afternoon as the wind was supposed to go down a notch, but the updated forecast says no. I'll play it by ear-- I need to get out into the woods. Haven't run all week. Have yoga at lunch.

qotd: Any signs of spring? I ask since we've seen a few late winter bloomers already showing up. Including this in my yard. By my guess, we're a couple of weeks ahead of things.

LB2

6.5 after work on the trails around the house.

QOTD: Azaleas are blooming. I imagine turkeys may be gobbling, too. But I haven't been in those woods at daylight yet. I'm trying to hold off until at least the end of the month.

LB2

Sandy-2

I'll do 5 mi after work today.

BTW, I signed up for the Arkansas Traveler (Oct 2017), needed to put something out there on the horizon to aim for.

qotd: Does yesterday's temp of 87 deg count?  Stuff is starting to turn green around here.

tbd.

XtremeTaper

A few inches of snow here overnight into this morning. No more than 2-3 inches, and thankfully less than the 4-8" forecast. If it doesn't get too windy I might take the Lady out for a snow run on the trails later today, otherwise gym night I think. Like Sandy I pulled the plug and registered for Mohican100 again this summer. I wanted a somewhat low budget 100 again for WS qualifier attempt and this fits the bill.

QOTD: Well, now it looks like winter, but I swear there was some blooming springlike smell in the woods the other night after morning rain, but nothing blooming yet. Bulbs are sprouting up already in the yard but are in early stages.

RunTrail - Hope you get out there today, tomorrow at the latest!

LB2 - You still need to find me some trails near Shreveport! How far are you from there?

Sandy - Give us a report on the Traveler. Curious about the course, and of course your race!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

LB2 - You still need to find me some trails near Shreveport! How far are you from there?

That is quite a ways from me, probably a 5 hour drive. I just sent a text to someone who knows something about that area. I'll let you know what I find out.

See below:

https://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/the-monkey-trail.html

Also, I don't know how much time you will have, but about a 3.5 to 4 hour drive will get you to Clear Springs Recreation Area in Roxie, MS. I think if you hit every trail correctly, you could get a 27 mile run out of it without hitting the same place twice. Let me know when you are headed down, I'll get to Clear Springs on a Saturday or Sunday if it isn't between March 25 and April 22.  But the Monkey Trail is in the Shreveport area.

The Clear Springs Recreational Area is eerily similar to the first 38 miles or so of Pinhoti, a lot of rollers. We measured the 5, 20 mile loops for the Equinox 100 mile race there last year, and it came up to a little over 17K of gain, which is quite a bit. It was a little over 3400 feet per loop, gain not change.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Windy and snow covered here today. We got almost 5" but as XT said better than the forecast which had us at 6-10". Hardly any snow on the driveway or roads since it was 61° yesterday and asphalt was pretty warm. Skipped the trails due to winds and did a 60 minute tempo run on the road.

Must be spring since everyone seems to be jumping on race signups.

QOTD:  Yesterday, yes. Today, no.  We're going to Chincoteague this weekend to do some painting at our rental place, so hopefully will see some more signs of Spring there.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

That is quite a ways from me, probably a 5 hour drive. I just sent a text to someone who knows something about that area. I'll let you know what I find out.

See below:

https://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/the-monkey-trail.html

Also, I don't know how much time you will have, but about a 3.5 to 4 hour drive will get you to Clear Springs Recreation Area in Roxie, MS. I think if you hit every trail correctly, you could get a 27 mile run out of it without hitting the same place twice. Let me know when you are headed down, I'll get to Clear Springs on a Saturday or Sunday if it isn't between March 25 and April 22.  But the Monkey Trail is in the Shreveport area.

Thanks LB.. I should be able to hit that place a time or two as I have an afternoon/evening shift for an IT live event. I will have morning off, but not huge amounts of free time. Looks like there might be some green space on googlemaps up by Minden as well... too bad you are so far away.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

BTW, I signed up for the Arkansas Traveler (Oct 2017), needed to put something out there on the horizon to aim for.

Nice. Lots of forest service road, not much single track. It could be a fast one for you.

LB2

LB2

Thanks LB.. I should be able to hit that place a time or two as I have an afternoon/evening shift for an IT live event. I will have morning off, but not huge amounts of free time. Looks like there might be some green space on googlemaps up by Minden as well... too bad you are so far away.

http://www.louisianatravel.com/bike/trail/sugar-cane-national-recreation-trail

Sugar Cane Trail is in the Minden area. I think there is also an offshoot trail called the "Lost Woman" trail. I don't know if they found her, but if you do, send her back to the trailhead. Sugar Cane goes around Lake Caney. I have never been there, but it looks pretty nice.

There is also the Wild Azalea Trail. It is down near Alexandria. It runs about 27 miles. I was going to run a 50 mile race there in January, but I didn't run enough to run a good one, maybe next year.

LB2

Gator eye

Cold as hell 6 miles in the wind and froozen tundra of Michigan.

QOTD: ummm no, havent seen the sun in two week not much snow but lots of cold wind.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Last night 10:15

Me - time for bed.

Him-let's watch another Madman.

Me-I want to get up and run.

Him-It's suppose to be raining heavy in the morning.  Check the weather.  He is correct...starts at 3AM and heaviest at 7.  We watch another.

Just like MT has been saying the weather men don't know shit!  At my 4am et Jack out and no rain and warm.  So come 6:15 alarm it's get up...6:30 come on...no rain.  & am up and out the door nice run.  Very warm.  New streams running everywhere.  One down tree to go around and then sprinkling on the way home.  I told myself last night that if I stayed up the weather would be good and it was.    Gym at lunch...21 more days until I am in a bathing suit. 

QOTD:  It was a total spring run today..very warm.  Two weeks ago I saw daffodils blooming.  DH said temps are going to drop again though.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

out of commission with a cold 

qotd: god no, we have over a foot of snow in town 2-5 feet in the local mountains; going to be a late spring here

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Sandy - Give us a report on the Traveler. Curious about the course, and of course your race!

Crap, another RR assignment, I haven't even done the last RR for my last hondo.  I'm so far behind.......

As LB2 said, there is a lot on double track/fire roads at Traveler but I hear they are in various states between groomed and ruts/rocks.  They do look like they are out in the middle of nowhere with nice view, so that it good. But these days even smooth tracks are not going to be fast for me.....

By the way, so far I am continuing with my "plan" of never doing the same 100 twice (unless I DNF and go back to get the finish), but Traveler is a WS qualifier so who knows....

tbd.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Short run last night.  Boy I didn't want to run but when I got out and it was like 50+ degrees, it was nice.  But still pulled up at 3 miles.  Today it's 28, snowy and windy.  Maybe 3 inches of snow overnight but somehow they cancelled school.    When I was a kid...

Ordered our flooring today for our basement.  Should be here in about....4-5 weeks. 

QOTD: Spring? What's that? Up until this morning's snow, I thought it actually was spring until I was reminded that we are in February.  Weird winter we are having.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

Brrrr, it's cold and windy here today. Had to run into my part time job for a meeting that was on short notice. Did it mainly because it's about a new program they are starting up and it was kind of informational, kind of a interview for one of the positions for people who may want to transition into it.  Anyway, we awoke to about 7-8 inches of snow so I had to plow the driveway when I got back home. First time using the new tractor for that.  The mountains were beautiful, but just a little strange. It seemed like the snow stuck to the trees about 3/4 of the way up the side but at the tops the trees were bare. Looked really nice in the sun.

Now I have flooring to lay so there will almost certainly be no run today.

Jamie - YOu can stop by tomorrow and finish laying my floor for me. That'll give you practice for when yours comes.

QOTD:  So we get 7 inches of fluffy white stuff with freezing cold, and a blowing wind and you ask about signs of spring  . How cruel .   Other than a few nice days like yesterday haven't really seen any signs.