Trailer Trash

On my run today, I saw... (Read 525 times)

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Pronghorn antelope? I've never seen that many bunched together before. I'll usually see one or two lonely looking ones out east of my town. Where was thIs?

Looks great.

The group was bigger,  it continued on up over the hill maybe 30+ . They are pretty spooky so I couldn't get too close and I only have a small camera in my pack . This area is called.... Antelope Valley,  north of Reno Nevada

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

... a golden eagle. Maybe the only golden eagle in the area, I see him every once in a while in similar locations.

Beautiful picture of the pronghorns, valerie! I did not know they walk around in such large groups. I only have seen single ones, never a big group like this.

Run for fun.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

...a red-headed woodpecker.

It was a very welcome distraction, and the impression lasted for quite a while.

Run for fun.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

... a pileated woodpecker, a red-tailed hawk, a bald eagle, the tracks of a racoon/groundhog/badger/skunk?, and lots and lots of turkey tracks.

Lots of wildlife on that trail!

Run for fun.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

... a treehog.

Yes, I know, it doesn't officially exist, but what do you call a groundhog that climbs up trees (up to 6 ft high)?

Run for fun.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

A big pile of trash (typical NJ...I know).  The trail that goes along the Hudson river was largely submerged during Hurricane Sandy and the low lying scrub brush did a nice job of filtering out garbage that ran off into the river, so it has been a mess.  In speaking with one of the Park Rangers, I was led to believe that the garbage is part of a much needed cleanup effort made possible by some grant money.  Anyways, what stood out was a piece of taxidermy...the ass end of a deer.  Whoever was doing the cleanup must have had a sense of humor and the deer-butt was prominently featured on the top of the pile.  I'm going to have to figure out how to upload pictures because a description does not do this justice.

UPDATE: AS PROMISED

photo photo-7_zpsb9f24326.jpg

**Ask me about streaking**

Birdwell

Two striped skunks, loads of whitetail deer, and smelly Canadian geese. All in the middle of Chicago, completly oblivious (or uncaring) of the traffic all around them, but very angry at me for running on their trails.

Ultra Cowboy

Two striped skunks, loads of whitetail deer, and smelly Canadian geese. All in the middle of Chicago, completly oblivious (or uncaring) of the traffic all around them, but very angry at me for running on their trails.

Yeah the Zookeepers were pretty pissed too!  Big grin

But seriously, there is a lot of urban wildlife that requires a whole different approach to wildlife management than we can apply in a rural or wildland setting.  Determining how to have wildlife habitat without making the animals pests or dependant on humans is a delicate balance.  MTWarden could probably really weigh in on this too...

WYBMADIITY

Save

Uh oh... now what?

more slugs than anyone else--probably more than any two of you put together.  Okay,

not put together as people, but the aggregate sum of the number so slugs you saw,

today,

while out running,

together or separately,

or alone.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

This:

Technically not on my run, but on an errand to get ready for tomorrow's race.

Run for fun.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Two porcupines, several deer, a grouse (I'll have to check my bird guide to find out what exactly it was), and I just missed the beaver that DS and DH saw when I came back to the car. I love my state parks, especially around dusk.

And on the drive home, I saw two Amish buggies. Didn't envy the horses.

Run for fun.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

not sure if this is functioning, about 1.5 miles from the trailhead...

Uh oh... now what?

not sure if this is functioning, about 1.5 miles from the trailhead...

You put the coins in the cup?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Jamezilla: Big grin on the deer ass.

Run for fun.

jmctav23

2/3rds training