Trailer Trash

On my run today, I saw... (Read 525 times)

runfastandie

Turkeys Turkeys Turkeys! Gobbling and dancing and prancing and desperately trying to mate! They are really quite a beautiful bird.

Andie

DigDug2

Two large snapping turtles, about twenty feet apart on my neighborhood rail trail, apparently laying eggs in the crushed stone at the edge of the trail.  Also four rabbits, a groundhog and a couple of deer.

Ah, suburban wildlife.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Sprinklers watering the lawn.

That wouldn't be so unusual, but it had been raining for hours already, and the sprinklers were still on. That will make for some nice puddles to splash through on my way to the trail.

Run for fun.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

A big wood turtle, a quail, and a few turkeys. The turtle moved away quickly when he/she saw me, quite surprising, you'd think turtles are somewhat slow. Maybe it was a sprinter. Big grin

I just checked, and it seems it was actually a Common Map Turtle.

Run for fun.

Gumby66

A porcupine in the middle of the trail with his business end facing me. I asked him to move along but he demured. I stepped off the trail and walked around him, the whole time, he waddled in a 180 so when I stepped back on the trial I was still facing the quills. Best move along, do not taunt the porky.

Gator eye

A skunk that thankfully my dog didn't see and a opossum that he did see. He quickly grabbed it and brought it to me for a closer look.

It must of tasted bad because once I got him to drop the opossum he wanted a drink of water.

Man am I glad he didn't see the skunk.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

A stunning weather phenomenon: A cloud wave crashing into a hill, forming a "tube" (like you see in surfing)

In my area, the mountains consist of several parallel ridges. So the air streaming across those ridges forms waves, and if there are clouds, these waves are visible as "wavy" clouds.

Today, the air must have been streaming across the mountains at just the right speed to get into resonance, so the waves gained height with every ridge. The mountain in front of my house is the last ridge, and the next "ridge" is actually just a small, 50 ft high hill.

I saw a cloud stream down the mountain at high speed, roll "up" that little hill (at some hundred feet above ground, but the air obviously reproduced that hill even at that elevation), and then tumble over, forming a rotating tube, just like a wave in the ocean does when it hits a cliff near the beach.

If one could surf on clouds, this would have been the tube of a lifetime.

It was not a tornado forming, or a vertical turbulence, it was horizontal, looked different from a tornado cloud, and slowly dissolved after a while.

The whole thing happened within two or three minutes, not more.

Run for fun.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

... a possum.

Almost stepped on the little guy, he was crossing right before my feet. I was surprised to see him out, as temperatures were in the upper teens. He scurried away, and I hope he got into his den/burrow quickly again.

Run for fun.

Birdwell

8-10 mule deer.

Gator eye

8 or so white tail deer, bedded down right next to the road. It didn't seem to bother them much when I shined their eyes with my headlight they all just laid there as I passed within 20 or so yards of them. Not that I blame them, with the temp of 15 degree this morning I didn't want to get out of bed either.

jonferg67

Endless trails

I saw Turkeys, about 12 of them. Whats that called, a gaggle?

moonlightrunner

It is called a rafter. A gaggle is a group of geese. My job leaves a lot of time to Google.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

jonferg67

Endless trails

It is called a rafter. A gaggle is a group of geese. My job leaves a lot of time to Google.

You every notice when you see geese flying in a V shape, one side is longer than the other. Do

you know why that is?

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Saw this on Sundays' run near the middle of no where , fresh paint smell still in the air

Gator eye

You every notice when you see geese flying in a V shape, one side is longer than the other. Do

you know why that is?

Cause there's more geese on that side.