Trailer Trash

On my run today, I saw... (Read 525 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

A black bear. He (she?) Was trotting from the trail to the creek next to it, and took a dip in a small pool. He played in the pool, splashing the water around and rolling side to side. He was so close that I could see his eyes, his face, the claws, and the little tail. He looked so happy, with his fur shining in the sunlight. Then he got up and continued on his way, walking upstream in the creek, turning over rocks here and there, leaving a flood of mud behind him. I stayed back (as the trail continues to follow the creek), stomping and whistling, but the bear either did not hear me (with the splashing and bubbling from the stream), or he decided to pay no attention to me. After a while, I ran on, and the bear had disappeared. I am just concerned because there are often backpackers camping right around that area, and I am not sure whether they'd be aware of a bear being so close nearby. Maybe the bear had also found food leftovers there, and he considers this his snack station? Not sure what to do about that. But my encounter with the bear sure was most wonderful!

Run for fun.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

This guy meandered across my path Saturday morning.  It is definitely snake season.  Another trail runner saw a different snake on the same trail about an hour later.

You people have issues 

A black bear. He (she?) Was trotting from the trail to the creek next to it, and took a dip in a small pool. He played in the pool, splashing the water around and rolling side to side. He was so close that I could see his eyes, his face, the claws, and the little tail. He looked so happy, with his fur shining in the sunlight. Then he got up and continued on his way, walking upstream in the creek, turning over rocks here and there, leaving a flood of mud behind him. I stayed back (as the trail continues to follow the creek), stomping and whistling, but the bear either did not hear me (with the splashing and bubbling from the stream), or he decided to pay no attention to me. After a while, I ran on, and the bear had disappeared. I am just concerned because there are often backpackers camping right around that area, and I am not sure whether they'd be aware of a bear being so close nearby. Maybe the bear had also found food leftovers there, and he considers this his snack station? Not sure what to do about that. But my encounter with the bear sure was most wonderful!

I'd be inclined to call the local fish & game office.  If the bear is finding scraps, getting F&G involved early could mean the difference between life and death for the bear.  If the bear gets too used to humans=food, it will end up having to be destroyed.

A friend of a friend tells a funny camping story that starts with, "When we got to the campsite, someone had left a crude sign that said "Bold Bear."   Well, it's funny now.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I thought I had a good week see two peacocks in the woods one day, an otter the next day, and marmot on Sunday..but couchy totally is the winner.  I would love a friendly bear encounter..

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

... fireworks! And three huge turkeys, too.

It was fun watching the fireworks from the mountain ridge during my night run. Looked spectacular! I just regretted that it was a 40% downhill, and scree. Nothing like that going downhill in the night, just don't trip...

The fireworks are put on by the local arts festival which is one of the largest in America, held every year.

And I have not seen turkeys in summer before, as far as I recall, just in winter and fall. So that was a new one, too.

Run for fun.

moonlightrunner

... fireworks! And three huge turkeys, too.

It was fun watching the fireworks from the mountain ridge during my night run. Looked spectacular! I just regretted that it was a 40% downhill, and scree. Nothing like that going downhill in the night, just don't trip...

The fireworks are put on by the local arts festival which is one of the largest in America, held every year.

And I have not seen turkeys in summer before, as far as I recall, just in winter and fall. So that was a new one, too.

Sounds like quite a treat!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

this wasn't on my run, but on my way to my run- a cat came screaming across the road, I hit the brakes and a fox came screaming by right on the cat's ass- not sure if the cat made it safely home or not; was literally right in the middle of town Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

A black rat snake:

Probably a juvenile, it was only about 3.5 or 4 feet long. This snake can grow to 7 ft length!

It is a constrictor, I was not aware that we have constrictors in Pennsylvania.

And don't ask me why "black" animals (black bears, black timber rattlesnakes, black rat snake) are NOT black here in PA, but brown.

Run for fun.

SheCan

One of these guys was having breakfast on the path and didn't want to

move when I was coming up on him.  As he looked much bigger

than the one in this picture, I wanted him gone, so had to yelp at him

to get him to give up his meal.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

A dude running with a gallon of water in his hand -- looks like he just reused a milk jug.

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

A dude running with a gallon of water in his hand -- looks like he just reused a milk jug.

It was a cross-fitter or possibly jamezilla with his kettle bells.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

well, yesterday:

- a bald eagle, very close, taking off from a tree

- a huge orb weaver

- signs saying "Prescribed burn zone" 

Am I an optimist when I focus on the first one and will run again in that area, and forget about the other two?

Run for fun.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

A garter snake.

Smaller model, about 2 to 2.5 ft long, and brownish color with tan stripes, not black with yellow stripes.

When I looked at its head, and saw how small it was, I wondered what snakes this size would eat. Small frogs, yes, but what else?

I was a bit worried that the snake, who was basking in the sun in the middle of the gravel road would get run over (it didn't move an inch even when I ran past it within half a foot of its tail), but fortunately it was on a section of road which is closed off for the public. Only maintenance trucks to work on the radio towers can pass the gate, so that reduced the risk for the snake.

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

A kid "tagging" a traffic sign. It was 6am. WTF, this is the suburbs, it ain't the hood !!!!

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

moonlightrunner

A new 12 foot wide bike path where my nice rustic trail used to be!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k