Trailer Trash

Catch-up Mondaily (Read 28 times)

Sandy-2

Hi Gang!!!!

Not sure where the issue was, but I have not been able to connect with runningahead for almost a week now.  Perhaps the Korean internet minders were blocking me, but all seems ok again.  It was weird, wasn’t working on the PC, iPad or iPhone.  Who knows. . .

To catch up, I ran a lot last week and did my final longish run over the local mountain on Saturday in very warm, humid and sticky conditions.  Now I’m in full taper mode, plus the weather has changed and it’s dryer and cooler.  Just need to do a few maintenance runs for the next 10 days or so.

Qotd: Have you ever done a race that had a mandatory equipment list? E.g. you have to carry the mandatory stuff or risk being disqualified?

I did one run in England and my next one (UTMF) as a long list.  As a minimalist (although I do bring stuff I think I’ll need), I hate having a mandatory list, just too much stuff to carry.  The mandatory list for UTMF is has follows, note item 10:

The weight of your equipment must be a minimum of 2kg at the start of the race and upon leaving each aid station. Your equipment must weigh a minimum of 1kg at all times along the race course. There will be an equipment check during the race. If you do not have the mandatory equipment, you will be disqualified from the race.

1. Course map (You must download and carry with you the "Detailed Course Map" from the official website)
    2. Mobile phone (you must be able to make/receive calls in Japan with this mobile phone). The emergency phone number for race headquarters will be written on your runner number card/bib. Make sure your phone is fully charged before the race. You may receive emergency information on your phone before/during the race.
    3. Personal cup for hot/cold drinks at aid stations (minimum 150cc size). Paper cups will not be provided at the aid stations.
    4. Water (you must carry a minimum of 1L of water at the start line and upon leaving each aid station)
    5. Food
    6. 2 lights with replacement batteries for both lights. Remember that battery life will decline in cold temperatures.
    7. Survival blanket (minimum size of 130cm x 200cm)
    8. Whistle
    9. Adhesive elastic tape/band (minimum length of 80cm x 3cm)
    10. Portable/disposable toilet
    11. Warm fleece or warm long sleeve shirt. Cotton shirts are not allowed.
    12. Warm running pants or leggings or a combination of tights/leggings and long socks which cover the legs completely. Cotton pants/leggings are not allowed.
    13. Warm gloves/mittens and hat that covers your ears.
    14. Waterproof rain jacket with hood & rain pants (both made of waterproof and breathable membrane such as Gore-Tex or something similar; seams must be seam-sealed) (Item 11. and 12. cannot be used to replace item 14.)
    15. First aid kit (such as band aids, disinfectant, etc)
    16. Overseas travel/accident insurance policy
    17. Race number card/bib and Race IC Chips (to put on both shoes). These will be given to you at the race.
    18. Flashing reflector light (put this light on your backpack during the race so that cars will be able to see you at night). This light will be given to you at the race.
    19. Backpack or rucksack to store all mandatory equipments and other strongly recommended equipments.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Watoni

SRD for me.

QOTD: Yes, but I busted my ankle during the race so I did not need it for racing. I did need it to keep me warm while I waited for the crazy Italians to drive me in an ATV off the mountain .... would have been better off walking

NHLA

Stone bruise on rt. foot.  It really hurts. Not sure how long this will take.

qotd  sandy that's a long list.

Blue Ridge Relay reqired headlamp and reflective vest with flashing lights. I am glad they made me cause I use them regularly now.

When I went hunting in Africa they gave me a detailed list of what to bring. You could only bring three changes of clothes. If you brought more they would throw them out at the airport. I have packed a lot lighter since and learned to wash clothes on the road.

runtraildc

Morning trailers!  Rest day for me, which if I am streaking (probably to the end of the year), it means I'll get in a mile or two.  Probably on the treadmill since I am planning to get in some strength work at the gym later.

Sandy, welcome back!  When I can't access certain websites, it means DH has set up blocks for the kids and I'm caught in the sidelines.  It's an easy fix for me.  However, if it's Korea, that might be harder to negotiate.

qotd:  Nope, but interesting list for UMTF.  a lot of it seems common sense, but it's interesting that they are so specific and the list is so long.  Is this common?

Occasional Runner

Heading out now for a few miles with the dogs.

I shit the bed at the last minutes of the Grand Slam, so I'm trying to recover and get ready for a race in Canada in 2 weeks.

Got into the mountains for some peak bagging yesterday with Howland. It was actually a pretty great weekend.

QOTD: Nope.

XtremeTaper

Good morning all... finally fall here. Yesterday ran Stumpy's fatass trail marathon plus a bonus mile as I missed one turn even though it was marked. A bunch of us did but it seemed clear when we back tracked. No biggie. Bonus miles are a plus and it give me an ultra for this month. Ha. Nice cool day but I still ditched the shirt after the opening loop. Nice course. No repeating sections, fairly mild trail with a few hills to keep you honest. I pretty much took it easy and did not push every hard.. 5 hours even. Thought I'd be more like 4:45 but I did so of lose interest the last 4 miles and wanted to get the barn but wasn't smelling it. Something in the 6-7 mile range this evening.

QOTD: Nope, can't recall any gear requirements other than the few times I ran a road relay up in NH. Blinkies and vests at night.

Sandy - Wow, that is some list. Is the course that remote or are the organizers just playing it super safe?

Watoni - That's probably why they want you to carry that gear. In case you are injured and slow down.

NHLA - Sorry about the foot. I hope it heals quickly. How is the winter weather down where you live? I keep thinking I need move south one of these years.

Runtrail - Good luck with the streak. I always had a 3 mile minimum but never made it more 2-3 months.

Lace - Sorry about Wasatch. So close. It looks like the trail is running out in the photo. Yikes.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Got in some gym time last night (run, steps, weights).  I had some strange knee pain Saturday evening so I ditched my Sunday am run.

Sandy - maybe they blocked you from internet because they thought you were speaking code on here....so your "long runs" really are code for scouting the area.  Hmmm....are you a spy? Anyways, GL in your taper.

Lace - it doesn't look like there is a trail in that pic. Sorry for the DNF.

QOTD: Just a light for SM 50 although they don't check so is it really mandatory???  And that list for your race Sandy is crazy.  I wonder how strict they are for that stuff - will they really check? And what's up with the portable toilet???

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

Lace - it doesn't look like there is a trail in that pic. Sorry for the DNF.

There really isn't. We were at 11,700', and what you can't see is the 3000' drop below me. It was intense.

LB2

I sort flubbed the weekend off. I ran, but I didn't run what I had planned. I just didn't feel like it despite the wonderful weather. I am trying to avoid making running feel like a dreaded chore, so if I don't feel like running long, I don't do it. I will, however, make myself run a 6 hour run this coming weekend. I think I am just tired of running the same old trails. I may head up to the Homochitto NF this weekend and make a big loop Saturday, maybe jump over a few rattlesnakes.

QOTD: I have never run a race that had anything listed beyond "every runner must carry some form of hydration".

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Usually a SRD on Monday's , but weather is too nice, so brought the clothes along for a lunchtime run.  Distance TBD.

QOTD:  Not in running races (besides lights), but long lists are the norm when I was doing adventure races.  Had one race where we needed separate bike and climbing helmets.  They had to be certified for usage in each discipline, so that meant I had to have 2 different helmets.  Pretty weird when we were riding a section and had our climbing helmets strapped to our backs. Plus the abseiling section was very short and not technical at all.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

AT-runner

Tim

10.  Portable/disposable toilet

That's going to be hard to carry. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NHLA

Ex trem  We have a lot of small ecosystems here. Snows very little here but snows tons on the blue ridge 18 miles away.

Rain fall can vary from 30" to 100" a year according to where you are. You can choose what you like.

The only problem you have is the warmer you go you can get ice in the winter and hot in the summer.

THe simple answer for a trail runner is Brevard NC. 500000 acres of wilderness at your back door.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning all. Going to get in 5-6 miles this evening in the hills, gorgeous Fall weather- highs low 70's, lows in the 40's perfect!

qotd: the UTMB has almost the identical mandatory gear list- pretty sure it's to cover their asses, but I'm quite sure with quick changing weather in the mountains it's saved some runners asses too. On my longer runs in the mountains I don't dick around, I'm prepared to spend a night out (albeit a miserable one)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Nice day here. Just crawled out of bed after a few hour nap. Now I'll be running around trying to clean up all the messes that seem to keep falling into my life.  I'll end up with some kind of mileage today just not sure how much and if it will all be running or if some will be walking with DW.

QOTD: I think the Megatransect had a rule that if you got to the last aid station after a certain time you had to either have a light or drop out. The last climb was really gnarly. I can't remember if Mt Washington requited helmets or not. I think they did or I wouldn't have wore one. Other than that no.

Watoni

Watoni - That's probably why they want you to carry that gear. In case you are injured and slow down.

Totally agree. A lot of people look at the weather report and decide whether to get by with the minimum or bring more heavy-duty stuff. Somebody did a demo on packing for UTMB and his minimal packing (would have been for this year with good weather) was light. On my race, I knew we would have to run one part of the trail through a snow tunnel they had cleared and since the run started at night (11pm) I had warm clothes for sure. One thing is some of the best light rain gear from North Face is not available in the U.S., so I picked up killer rain pants in Italy.

Also, the weather can change in a heart beat and a lot of these courses are quite remote so gear is a good idea ....