Trailer Trash

The Thursdaily (Read 20 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I got out for three last night.  Weather has been nice the last two days but the cold is coming back and possibly some snow tomorrow.  We'll see though.

So I saw a certain Mr. Meltzer just signed up for OC100.  Wish I was going to be there but not this year for me. I don't recall him ever doing this race.  So should be good.  I might just have to follow now in October.

QOTD: Have you met any "famous" runners? Any you would like to meet?

I met Karl Meltzer when he was crewing Scott Jurek on his AT trek 2 years ago.  Which also means I met Scott too.  I am not star struck but it was pretty cool.  The running world is not big but some of these guys are really cool.

I would love to meet the following: Sage Canady and Killian Jornet - just because I want some of their speed and skills to rub off on me, Kara Goucher - simply because she's hot, and the Ginger Runner - because he's cool.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Winter is back big time here- 3" of new snow, 5-7" more expected (talking feet in the mountains! )

Had a good, but challenging run yesterday evening- lots of ice and snow to negotiate

Going to try and get another 5-ish this evening, we'll see

qotd: I've met "the Mikes" Foote and Wolfe; Jim Walmsley at this first trail run (here in Helena), but he wasn't famous them; I didn't run the Rut the year Killian was there- he definitely has hero status in my book

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

I did an additional 5.25 after work yesterday and ran 4.25 this morning. So, I am back on track for the week/month.

QOTD: I don't know if they were famous or not. I crewed for Mike Morton in his 2013 Rocky Raccoon win, along with Liza Howard. I know Dana "Mud and Guts" Miller pretty well. I'd call him a legend. Is Kelly famous? I know him very well, and he knows a bunch of those guys. It is still a pretty small community, so if you go to the right races, you'll be rubbing elbows with all sorts of people.

I don't know of anyone I'd like to meet, maybe Ian Sharman. I'd like to remind him of how I beat him at Rocky Raccoon in 2012. Sandy was there; he was part of the crew. Hahaha

LB2

XtremeTaper

Seven miles on the wild side of Green Lane last night with the Lady. Mild and breezy. Easy run as believe it or not I had some mild quad soreness from a lame-ass steady state run on the rail trail the night before. More of the same today in terms of distance and weather. Colder tomorrow with snow? and cold this weekend for March.

QOTD: Met, saw, or passed by? Meltzer I've met/served several times while working aid stations at Massanutten. He's always the first one through when he runs that one. I am sure I saw several famous runners while crewing WS in 2012. I did do a hike down from Green Gate to the river crossing and ran into Michael Wardian on the way down and gave him a shout out. Let's see... Katherine the Great... she was on my flight back to Philly from Boston in 2005. The plane gave her an ovation but I did not personally meet her.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Planning some sort of quality workout later today.

qotd: As a young HS runner I met several famous runners at the UCTC summer track meets including Hal Higdon and Ira Murchison. Later when I move to CT after I started back running I met Frank Shorter, Bill Rodgers, Amby Burfoot, Ted Corbett, Jim Fixx, both John A. Kelley (the elder) and John J. Kelley (the younger), Katherine Switzer, and Nina Kuscik. After moving to the Philly area I met Marcus O'Sullivan and Jeff Galloway. Some of those names might not mean anything to the younger crowd or strictly trail runners. Murchison was an Olympic sprinter in the '50s. O'Sullivan was an Irish miler for Villanova. Switzer and Kuscik were pioneers in the women's marathon. In an odd coincidence I also met Shalane Flanagan's parents, but separately and before they had met each other. Since moving on to ultras I've met a number of runners who are now legends and several who have qualified for recent national teams, but ultra runners tend to not be famous.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

runtraildc

Got in 5 yesterday at lunch. Meeting a friend this afternoon. We should get maybe 4 or 5 miles in. The bluebells on this trail should be showing their leaves, but unfortunately blooms are still a ways off. At this time of year, I make a concerted effort to get on this system at least once a week for the spring blooms.

qotd: no.

NorthernHarrier

Took the day off work today as DW and I are heading out bright and surly tomorrow heading to Florida's emerald coast for a little over a week. When I get back I may have 4 more weeks of work...or not.   Cold here today after incredible winds yesterday. Heading out in a few minutes for hopefully 13 trail miles. Beach running coming up in a couple days and there are some decent trails (by Fla. standards) nearby so a couple runs of trails.

QOTD--gonna sound like an ass as usual but no hero worship, no drooling either. I have run in events with elites and am certainly impressed when I see them run and I have had casual conversation with a few but really I care as much about them as they do me.

Another QOTD-- whats a real good energy bar that is palatable on the long run and won't be a gooey mess on a warm day or a pack of crumbles bouncing around for hours in a pack? My former bar of choice has been discontinued.

AT-runner

Tim

Warming up nicely. Heading out for 8-10 on some soggy trails. Wearing my mud shoes.

QOTD:  As with Jamie, met and ran with Scott Jurek 2 years ago and talked for a while with Karl Meltzer.

Jamie, I got a hug from Kara Goucher at a race expo when I told her she had a beautiful smile.

DW and I were walking along Michigan Ave in Chicago in 1986 and I said to her "that man looks like Edwin Moses".  He turned around and said "yes, I am".  We walked together for several blocks and talked about the Olympics and his incredible race victory streak.  He was very friendly and shook our hands when he turned down a different street. We were in our 20's at the time, and that was a huge deal.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NHLA

NHLA

5 miles Rufus Morgan Trail

qotd  Harold Jackson  fastest man in NFL in the 70's  and Walter Payton  greatest running back ever  worked out with them for three years back in the late 70's early 80's.  It was a work out. Lots of speed work in 100 degree MS heat & humidity.

LB2

QOTD--gonna sound like an ass as usual but no hero worship, no drooling either. I have run in events with elites and am certainly impressed when I see them run and I have had casual conversation with a few but really I care as much about them as they do me.

Another QOTD-- whats a real good energy bar that is palatable on the long run and won't be a gooey mess on a warm day or a pack of crumbles bouncing around for hours in a pack? My former bar of choice has been discontinued.

I am about the same on QOTD 1.

QOTD2: I don't know if such a thing exists.

LB2

Gator eye

Cold and windy, sat on my butt all morning lomg and made excuses

QoTD. Bumped into a Ethiopian who won a road race once.  Don't know his name.

QOTD 2 :  Payday candy bars, they have peanuts for protein, lots of salt and sugar and they hold up well in the heat. And as a bonus they taste better than sports bars

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Hammer bars hold up pretty well (they are in foil); nutritionally I think they are pretty close to spot on, taste.....,.,

Mojo bars hold up well and taste good; not sure how they stack against some of the "running" bars though

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Did 5 mi this morning. Did most of it in a nearby park Bois de Boulogne.  Also went to the Musee d'Orsay after work.  Got a photo of a bridge on a trail and a little something for LB2.

Qotd: I have met a bunch of great front runners while working Damnation at RR100.

tbd.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Ended up running 3 x 1500m on a paved trail and almost got run over by a cyclist when I stopped to wipe sweat from my eyes and didn't see him approaching.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.