Trailer Trash

just ordered an Ultimate Direction signature series pack (Read 221 times)

AT-runner

Tim

How does the material feel on those things? From the pics, you can pretty much see through it. Does it feel like it's going to hold up well?

I'm interested to see how durable they are.

There are several different materials used.

The "Power Mesh" is a very stretchy fabric and expands quite a bit for stuffing in things.  It is mildly see through.  It seems similar to the material used for the Spi-belts.  DW has had the same Spi-belt for years and it's never torn.

The "Cuben Fiber" is used in the back expansion section and crinkles up a bit.  I don't know how this will wear, but web site says it's the same material used for sail making.

The "Hex Mesh" material that makes up inside of vest is see through and very breathable.  When you pull on it, it feels very strong.  

Only time will tell, but when I give everything a stretch test, I don't feel like it's going to rip easily.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got mine out for a little longer run today- me definitely likey Smile  there are a few things (minor) I'd change- I'd make the lower front pockets a little larger, the pockets that are for the smart phone are a little tight for my camera (and it's a small camera)- I like to be able to grab it quick and I can't-so I'd make those a little bigger as well

the thing carries like a dream and it's so nice not to have a handheld anymore

from the front (those are my gloves hanging from the sternum strap)

rear

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

quick update on the AK pack-used for my Uwharrie run and was very happy w/ the way it carried; there was a lot of jumping involved w/ the race-crossing streams, numerous blow downs, etc and the pack just doesn't bounce

I also made the classic mistake of wearing too much clothing at the starting line, was able to shed this clothing at the first aid station and the small pack handled my windshirt and mid-layer w/o any problem

I  saw two other AKs in the race

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Ultra Cowboy

I tried on an SJ on Saturday, and it felt like what I can imagine a Brassiere would be like...I am going to give an XL Salomon  skin 12 a try..

How was the bottle slosh?

I really like the idea but I ain't the typical Ultra runner body type!

WYBMADIITY

Save

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

http://ultrarunnerpodcast.com/ultimate-direction-sj-ultra-vest-review-a-female-perspective/

Another review in case the females are interested.  I take that review with a grain of salt, however, because that chick doesn't have a whole lot of boob.  If someone wants to send me a vest, I would be happy to do a different review.  Big grin

Running is dumb.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

didn't notice much of a slosh and for the race I didn't have my music on Smile

I don't have a "typical" runner's build either, and while the pack is certainly on the smaller side- it rides very comfy

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

just a quick update, have lots more miles on the pack, including a recent 50k race and while not perfect in regards to the pockets (needs a bigger pocket up front to hold a camera or smart phone is the biggie), the pack carries great, bottles are very easily accessible as are the gels/cubes/electrolytes, has plenty of room in the main stretchy pack for extra clothing, first aid, etc; overall I have to give it a 95% Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Chnaiur

Nice to see this thread! This year is so dry that my usual refill streams aren't streams any more, so I've realized I want a vest. Most vests I've looked at seem built for much smaller people than me though.

Will check this one out.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

ceezy

Really want to try a S/M but seems like they are hard to find.  Kicking myself for not getting one a while back!

AT-runner

Tim

Nice to see this thread! This year is so dry that my usual refill streams aren't streams any more, so I've realized I want a vest. Most vests I've looked at seem built for much smaller people than me though.

Will check this one out.

Chnaiur, I have the SJ vest in the large size.  I'm 6' and 200lbs and it fits well. I probably could have gone to a smaller size since I have it pulled pretty snug, but it works well with my large frame.  I changed out the bottles to regular bike bottles, and love the vest but hate the UD bottles.

Agree with Warden on needing larger front pocket for phone / camera.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Chnaiur

Thanks - just ordered one in size Large!

I will be very interesting to check it out - it weighs only 1 oz more than my 1-bottle fanny pack.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I changed out the bottles to regular bike bottles, and love the vest but hate the UD bottles.

yeah I'm not sure what's up w/ their bottles, they don't leak one bit which is great, but getting that nipple where you can actually get a drink of water is wee bit frustrating

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

http://ultrarunnerpodcast.com/ultimate-direction-sj-ultra-vest-review-a-female-perspective/

Another review in case the females are interested.  I take that review with a grain of salt, however, because that chick doesn't have a whole lot of boob.  If someone wants to send me a vest, I would be happy to do a different review.  Big grin

That's very helpful... makes me reconsider the bottle up front approach. I'd definitely want to try on one of these types of vests before buying them.

RabbitChaser

My second run with the AK pack did not go so well. I couldn't get it adjusted properly, every time I would snug it down, it would loosen back up within a half mile. I probably should have ordered the smaller size. I ended up having to take the pack off halfway through my night trail HM a few weeks ago because it seemed to increase the effects of the heat/humidity on my back. After I took the vest off, I felt better. I do not do well in the heat, and should probably stick with something that will help cool by back off like one of the many hydration packs I own. Smile If i can get the AK vest to fit properly, it would be great for running anytime other than the summer.

Eric

Will run for scenery.

Hi, just found this user group so I just saw this thread.

I got the SJ (mid-capacity) version of the vest.  Haven't taken it out yet, but have a nice run this Saturday, so we'll see.

One thing to note about these vests is that there is very limited adjustment.  Each model comes in 2 or 3 sizes, and after that all you can do is pull the front closed more or less tightly.  Since people come in more than 2-3 sizes, it's a bit of a crapshoot where on your ribcage the bottles will end up.  So you definitely want to try several on in person, or prepare to deal with mail order returns/exchanges.

That said, I love the fit of mine.  The materials seem top notch.  My only complaint is that I'd like a pocket big enough for (practical) smartphone use.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!