Trailer Trash

Sundailies (Read 30 times)

We went out after the sun was up a bit. The roads to our usual trails were closed so we ran at the local high school. It was brutally cold and windy; 5 F and there were gale force winds so we only did 2 miles.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

runtraildc

Today may end up as a URD.  It's 8*, but more importantly, the winds are still at 25+mph.  And it snowed last night as the temps were plummeting which led to frozen slush on the roads this morning as we headed to the pool.  It was pretty bad so I'm going to play 'wait and see' today.

I know it is much worse elsewhere in the country.  Keep warm (and safe) trailers!

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I have company...no running going on.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NorthernHarrier

No worries, it's warming up here. Woke up to -18F but it's climbing rapidly now as we are up to -6F.  But it is a dry cold. Sunny too. I'll put some booties on the dog and putz a little outside just to feel alive, I'm not much for just hanging around inside regardless of the weather. Snowshoe race isn't until 1:00 so maybe we'll be at 0F by then.    Finally found the results for last weeks snowshoe race I did and saw that I came in 13th out of 82. Looks like I geezered a lot of peeps. LOL!

Stay warm!

Daydreamer1

Sitting at work listening to the fire scanner. A lot of Chimney fires today. Guess everyone has their wood stoves cranking today. It would really suck to end up with no heat in the house on a day like this. Temps in this area are between 6-10 with a nice brisk 20+ mph wind.  If I were home I would head out for a short jaunt. Still have a lot of crap in my chest and running in the cold air always helps to knock it loose.

14 miles this morning at a new trail for me. Still trying to ease my way back into elevation after tweaking my achilles a couple weeks ago, so found a "rolling hill" type trail rather than my normal rocky trail. Felt like I was running in a prairie, a bit different than I was used to. Managed to get around 2K in elevation over the course of the 14 miles, which puts me around the gain average of my marathon in April. (I think its about 3800' over the full course.)

In an effort to force myself to slow down, I made sure to stop and appreciate the unfamiliar route and take a couple pictures. (After it got light, at least.) Also had background of howling coyotes for the first hour before the sun came up. Kinda neat.

I had company:

I had company

Sharptail Ridge and Southwest Denver:

Sharptail Ridge

LB2

That is good company Derek F.  I made a walking loop through the woods where I heard some tree cutters last week. They have leveled one area and thinning a section of planted pines across from my house.  I may make a running loop through there shortly.

QOTD: Do you ever run where you don't have permission?

Sometimes, but I don't do that during hunting season. I don't think people care too much if you are just passing through. Usually, I ask. But sometimes, I just cross...

LB2

QOTD:  Yes sometimes I have trespassed during a run, but not usually.   Most places I run are open to the public, so no permission required.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Daydreamer1

QOTD: Sometimes in the past I have. Recently though all of my trail running has been on public lands. There really aren't many trails on private land here in my area.

Sandy-2

Been kinda lazy and busy at the same time these last few days.  I managed to get out early and do 15 mi on Saturday and 10 more on Sunday.  On Sunday I went off on a new trail, but hit a dead end.  I didn't go exploring a few other turns that I saw before the dead end because I had to get back to the house for a delivery (finally got a TV).  Gives me a few more trail-miles to explore later this week.

Speaking of this week, I get Wed - Fri off due to the Lunar New Year.  Planning on pushing the miles over the down time.

moonlight: glad things went well.

qotd: I don't mess around here since there are a lot of military posts scattered in the hills.  There is one that has warning signs to stay on the trails (plus they broadcasts messages over loudspeakers in Korean and English once in a while) since it was an old mine field and there could be some old unexploded mines, ya gotta stay on the trails.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

LB2

I ended up with a 6 mile Barkley-esque loop through the woods. I checked out the timber cutting area again. I saw three gobblers and more turkey scratching than I have seen in a very long time in the middle of nowhere. It was pretty epic run for 6 miles. Those folks had set that thing up for their kid's motor cross bikes. It is pretty cool. It must be close to 400 acres in there.

LB2

sugnim

Hi all. I got a nice 8 mile run in the hills today in the sunshine. That really felt great. Yesterday my wife and our son hiked up to the top of Mount Sentinel with a red, heart-shaped balloon tied to the backpack baby carrier. We were going to have a picnic at the top, but it was really windy and my son was shivering. So we ate cheese and strawberries on the way down. Hiking up a mountain with a toddler on your back is a great leg workout!

QOTD: Not really, but there are plenty of times when I take my dog on trails where dogs are forbidden. Those trails are pretty steep and far from any trailhead, so my chances of running into any authority figure there are pretty slim. Mostly we've just run into bear poop.

Derekf: nice pics!

runtraildc

Nice pictures, Derek!  I noticed that there is not any snow-- is that normal?  If so, must make for great winter running!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

The day ended up as a URD. The temperature never rose above 6 degrees, and the wind chill stayed around -15, so I decided to take care of the kids instead after work.

Picked up DD from a sleepover and almost got stuck in the 3-foot high snow drifts in the middle of the road, in the middle of nowhere. Not fun.

Several whiteouts convinced me that the wind was actually real, and it would not be much better on the mountain.

Looking at starting work at 5 a.m. tomorrow, hoping my car will start then at the forecasted -10 degrees!

QOTD: I accidently crossed private land a few years ago while searching for the trail, but I don't do it on purpose. There are so many trails here, and state forests, state parks and state game lands are abundant, so there's plenty of options to go "wild" without trespassing somone's property or land where it is not allowed.

Run for fun.

Nice pictures, Derek!  I noticed that there is not any snow-- is that normal?  If so, must make for great winter running!

It comes and goes a bit at city elevations, rarely do temps stay below freezing more than a couple days in a row. And this past week it's been 60's and into the 70's, so it helped dry up things. It's been a warmer (and drier) year than usual. Obviously, above 9k you'll find pretty consistent snow.

As I type this now, however, the snow has begun to fall!