Trailer Trash

Wednesdailies (Read 29 times)

Marley and I had a nice 5 mile trail run this morning and are about to head downstairs to the shop for some dulcimer building and shop cleanup.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

30+ minutes on the bike last night at a moderate effort.

QOTD: What has your experience been like with running shoes? Have you had to try numerous types before you found the one? Have you never had any issues with shoes? Still trying to find the one?

Every time I think I have found a good shoe, something comes up.  I have switched brands, types and even sizes.  Currently running in Hokas.  So far so good but less than 100 miles...it could end just like the others.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jonferg67

Endless trails

Morning gentlemen,

I had a great 6 mile trail run this morning, temps have been cooler here that past

week or so, nice running weather.

QOTD: Road: I've found my favorite after trying several different brands/styles, NB

1400. Trail: I went through 4 versions of Asics Fuji Racer before I decided I needed

more protection (more protection not necessarily more cushioning). Now I'm using

Montrail Fluid Flex and they are great. I've completely changed my attitude about

Hoka's and higher stack height shoes, I chose Montrail due to affordability.

Sandy-2

I'll do core training at lunch today. I may or may not run after work tonight. Gotta pack tonight because we're going up to the NYC area tomorrow.  I was planning on bringing my running stuff but I may not have much time for running up there with lots of family stuff going on.

Qotd: I bounced around with various brands/styles but about 5 or 6 years ago found that Asics Nimbus worked. Have warn them ever since - roads or trails. Don't fix what ain't broke.

tbd.

NorthernHarrier

Just finished weights, core, and stretching. I'll take both run and bike gear with me to work and do one or the other after. Last good day for awhile as we are heading into a real summer heat wave with the humidity and t-storms. Been a real good summer until now.

QOTD--Not like your issues. I always have at least 5 pairs in the rotation and never run in the same pair 2 days in a row. And when I say multiple pairs I mean they are different makes and models. With no science to back me up I feel it is a factor in me staying mostly injury free for over 3 decades. Any imperfections in my biomechanics are not compounded by a constant shoe rotation.  (edit--that was worded poorly, I'm trying to say running in a shoe every day that may not be right for you can bring to the forefront in an ugly way some issues. Changing constantly can hide those issues) Also at the first sign of any issue with a shoe they are kicked out of the rotation.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

QOTD--Not like your issues. I always have at least 5 pairs in the rotation and never run in the same pair 2 days in a row. And when I say multiple pairs I mean they are different makes and models. With no science to back me up I feel it is a factor in me staying mostly injury free for over 3 decades. Any imperfections in my biomechanics are not compounded by a constant shoe rotation.  (edit--that was worded poorly, I'm trying to say running in a shoe every day that may not be right for you can bring to the forefront in an ugly way some issues. Changing constantly can hide those issues) Also at the first sign of any issue with a shoe they are kicked out of the rotation.

I like this approach.  I have thought the same thing...just haven't actually tried it yet.  Sometimes the best science is your own experience.

Speaking of shoes...this website seems to have some good deals: http://www.6pm.com/

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

After work running date with Jill and Earl.. Will run 6.

Qotd:  I've happily worn Cascadias the last 4 years.  before that I never really had a problem with whatever shoe I bought.

sandy: definitely  take your running clothes just in case the opportunity comes.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Bike commute to work.  I'm having some issues with my groin right now...gotta take a little bit of time off from running, I guess.  TMTS?  I don't know.

QOTD: Unlike Harrier, I don't even think I could find 5 different models of shoes that I could run in.    My feet are all fucked up -- no arches, wide forefoot, narrow heel, etc.  I ran in a certain model of Asics for 5+ years until they discontinued them.  Assholes.  Now I'm on the search for my new shoe.  So far my Pearl Izumis are working out, but I only have like 25 miles on them, so who knows.  Now my trails shoes, I have that dialed in.  If Montrail ever messes with my Mountain Masochists, I am not going to be a happy camper.  I currently have 5 different pairs of those.

Running is dumb.

DigDug2

6.5 this a.m. on roads.  Trying to make my daily runs hillier lately, so I'm looking like an idiot running hill repeats in front of people's houses at 6 a.m.

Sandy - if "NYC area" is in Westchester or Fairfield counties, let me know if you want to get together for a run.

QOTD:  I've found two brands (Mizuno and NB) that work for me, stick with a few models (or their close relatives) and rotate so I'm running in 3-4 different pairs a week.  I'm happy with my shoes and don't see any issues related to them.

Daydreamer1

Spending 24 hours at work today. The ankle is healing nicely but certainly isn't ready for running yet.

QOTD:  For years I used Nike air for the road. Then I was only doing short stuff, mostly just 3-5 miles with the occasional 10k run. Feet and knees always hurt after 4 miles, but I was only putting on 150-200 miles a year of actual running. My first pair of real trail shoes were Cascadia 5s. I liked them and really had no problems with them on mileages up to 19 miles. Stumbled onto the Hoka Mafates and immediately fell in love with them. I've also used the Bondi B's and Stinsons. When using Hokas my knee and foot soreness and pain are eliminated. The Bondis did well on trail or road (they are a road shoe). The trail version of the Stinson didn't work out well due to poor lateral stability and slippy soles, so I'm using them on the road. I also have a pair of NB 1210's that I think are a good shoe. My feet and legs do get more beat up in them then the Hokas.

Other then the Cascadia's being a little small, I've never really had a pair of shoes that caused me any real problems as far as fit. Never get blisters and the soreness I get from the Cascadia's and 1210's is simply because they aren't as padded as the Hokas. I run in over the counter orthodics so maybe that helps to mask any problems with shoes.

I could pick at every shoe that I own, such as being too loose in the heel, or too wide in the toes, but I probably would have to spend a lot of money trying to find the perfect fit and then the shoe company would just change the model anyway.  I'm waiting for the time when we can get our feet 3-D imaged and have custom shoes 3-D printed for us.

Occasional Runner

I logged 8 awesome trail miles with my pup this morning in the dark. I lost track of her early on my ascent and looked up to the switchback above me and saw her eyes glowing back down at me, just watching me. A few seconds later, she was by my side, running with me. I looked back up and those eyes were still staring down at me, just watching. I stopped so I could try to make out the shape of the body. The eyes casually blinked a couple of times and bounded off. We'll never know what it was, but it's the same area where we've seen the mountain lion twice this summer.

QOTD: I've tried a lot of shoes and most of them work just fine. Anymore, it's a function of price and availability. I primarily stick with my NB 1400's for most of my runs but I'll run in Altras whenever they send me a free pair.

charlesmoman

8 walking miles starting around 5 AM to beat the heat.

QOTD - Got fitted with Brooks Glycerin 4 years ago and they have always worked well for me.

I also have Cascadias that keep my feet happy.

And I love my Hokas too = Bondi B and Stinson Evo.

Never had any issues with any shoe I have tried.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Morning all,

I got in a 45 minute swim and did 30 mins on the bike yesterday (nice kettlebell workout also while watching TV).  Today I need a good run!

QOTD: I run in VFF's and have pretty much from the beginning of my running odyssey.  For trails I'm convinced that there is no perfect shoe for me...all of the lightweight minimalist type of trail shoes that have a rock plate invariably have durability issues...I think that's just the way it goes.  I really liked the NB MT1010's, but broke every pair I had with less than 120 miles .  Right now I have 2 pairs of inov8 235s in rotation...they're pretty good.

**Ask me about streaking**

moonlightrunner

I ran a nice 9 last night, hope to do the same tonight. Now that summer is almost over the heat and humidity are setting in. Not liking it....but...it is one thing I can't control... so just go with it.

Qotd: my trails are mild compared with many if you, and my 5 fingers do well. They keep injuries away...at least the overuse ones.I just got a pair of Altar Superiors because with long miles my feet get pretty beat up. I ran in the once...I do not like them.  Too much shoe. I am used to the flexibility with 5 fingers

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

runtraildc

Morning!  Just got in under 6  on the trails in a park by my mom's.  Wished I had checked it out sooner - beautiful trails thru the woods and around a bunch of lakes.  Took the springer along- he did much better than the other day, so that was good.

qotd:  I have three brooks and a pair of asics in rotation right now.  All different models.  2 trail and 2 road. my cascadias are my preferred shoes.