Trailer Trash

natural trail foods- ideas? (Read 28 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

when I did the Bob Open I brought some coconut rolled dates (Mom-in Law got them for me for Christmas) and they were really good, good enough I'm going to continue using them- they are ~ 100 calories a pop; I also tried Honey Stingers and liked those as well

I'd like to try baked sliced sweet potato rolled in sea salt, anyone try these before?

I'd like to hear other ideas that have worked for you Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Gator eye

I love apples, the smaller ones will fit in the front pocket of my hydro pack.

runtraildc

Mostly used for hiking trips, but my favorite is a wrap, rolled with almond butter, a little honey, sunflower seeds and sliced dried apricots.  Takes a little prep, but it has a good mix of carbs, fats and protein.  doesn't get crushed and can easily be cut into small, packable portions.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I've used dried apples, dried apricots, and dried pears.

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

good ideas 

the wrap reminds me somewhat of a "sandwich" we took on the Bob, lightly toasted bagel, spread peanut butter both halves, slices of fried bacon and then thoroughly drizzled w/ honey- they keep well in a pack and boast 600-800 calories, but you better have a lot of water handy 

anyone try those little apple sauce (and now other fruit) packets for kids?  they look like they may be kind of handy, will have to pickup a couple to try

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

anyone try those little apple sauce (and now other fruit) packets for kids?  they look like they may be kind of handy, will have to pickup a couple to try

Last year I tried some of the Go-gurt tubes (yogurt in a tube) on my longer runs. Seemed to help some with my stomach issues. Not sure how they would last on a multi-day trip if it's warm out.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I tried apple-blueberry pouches, liked them, but they did not deliver many calories for the weight/volume.

Run for fun.

Gator eye

I tried the little apple sauce packets but if you look at ingredients list they add sugar.  Not sure why they think apple sauce needs sugar? Anyway I went back to carrying apples in the natural throw away container.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Bananas, and they even come in their natural protective case with "easy-open" handle.

You people have issues 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

is Nutella a natural food??? 

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Our local grocery store sells coconut flake crusted crushed date bars in the bulk section...really great taste and packs well.  Aside from that, I usually just roll with a variety of bars and gels.  Choco chip cliff bars with espresso gel on top is a favorite mid long day snack.

some call me Tim

Bananas, and they even come in their natural protective case with "easy-open" handle.

Ah, yes, I believe I've heard of them... perfectly made for the hand, non-slip surface, curved toward the mouth so you don't miss, that sort of thing.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Go-Gurt- my grandson eats those I'll steal one

Nutella- good call!

a small banana would work great for a long run

the date mixture sounds very similar to the ones I get, would be nice to find them in bulk as they are pretty spendy

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

jmctav23

2/3rds training

the date mixture sounds very similar to the ones I get, would be nice to find them in bulk as they are pretty spendy

Amazon is your friend if your local grocery stores don't stock them...

organic date and coconut bars

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Nice- I ordered a one pound bag last week, didn't see the five pound one

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √