Trailer Trash

Taxing Tuesdaily (Read 21 times)

XtremeTaper

No run yet today but the plan is for 5-6 miles after work on the trails of Coventry Woods. Wussed out last night and did not run. Probably good for me to take a rest day anyway plus I had errands to run.

QOTD: Have you noticed an increase of $ in your paycheck with the tax rate changes?

Yes, about $110 here (biweekly check) so over $200/month. In reality though I won't see how this pans out until I file 2018 taxes a year from now in 2019. I wonder if there will be any surprises for people when they file in 2019? It's pretty close to what I estimated so we will see.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

No run yesterday.  I am really sucking at this running thing lately.  Too much other stuff on my mind to "worry" about the lack of miles right now but I think some good healthy runs would help me to sift through stuff.  Hopefully something tonight even if short.

QOTD: I haven't noticed any changes.  what changes are you talking about that would give you so much money in your paychecks? Or maybe we're not in the same tax bracket???

Thanks for the reminder though - I need to do my 2017 taxes.  I always do them superbowl weekend and just plain forgot this year. 

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

runtraildc

Morning folks. Heading out this afternoon to meet a friend for 5 miles along the paved trail. Temps are climbing above 40 so it will feel warm for a change. and not windy.

qotd: NA. And as long as the government stays open and DH is paid friday, I'll check then. Our health plan costs changed Jan 1, so that really has a bigger impact.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Will be heading out to run trails later.

qotd: no paycheck, so no increase. That darn RMD, which I didn't really need for expenses, pushed my income high enough that my Social Security is taxable and I hadn't planned on that.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

Very nice and easy 3 this morning. I missed the rain for the most part. I had a few sprinkles hit me, but it was nothing major.

QOTD: Yes. I think it was about 40 dollars bi-weekly. Hey, 40 bucks is 40 bucks; I'll take it. I take hold out the most and normally get back a decent refund ranging between 2000 and 3000 dollars. I am hoping it will be at least the same next year. I think that doubling the standard deduction will be very helpful. It doesn't make much difference, though. My wife finds a way to use the majority of it. I may get a pair of running shoes and an out of state hunting license out of the deal and everyone is walks away happy.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

8 miles in the woods with Yaktrax’s on. Mix of soft powder, crusty snow and ice. Nice temperature out with almost no wind, so a great morning.

QOTD: No paycheck for me. IRS calls my income “personal withdrawal”. DW had a nice increase, so she paid for dinner last Friday.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Doubt I'll get in a run today. Got out of work late and have too much stuff that absolutely needs to be done.  Maybe something tonight.

Jamie - Don't worry about running too much. That way we can both hike Montour 24 .

QOTD:  Nope. Not yet anyway. Should be changing this week. We got a notice that they have until February 18th I think to start the new withholding tables but I'm expecting to see it this weekend on this check.  According to my calculations we should get a reduction of about 2000-2500 on a annual basis.  I'll take it.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

No run and no good reason.  Boot camp after work.  Taxing Tuesday, reminds me of Michael Smith the tax accountant from Michigan who use to be on RW.

QOTD:  Looks like I am getting $45 more a bi-weekly pay period.  Off the topic but still close.    I was looking at Obamacare and if you make $64,000 a year for a family of 2 the government will subsidized your health insurance by $1,500.  But if you make $65,000 you get nothing.  So making that grand more cost you $18,000 in subsidizes.  It make no sense and encourages people not to work.  You would think it would gradually decrease the subsidizes so it's not such a drastic drop.

reuntrail:  Yes my healthcare cost went up about $450.00 a month. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

I was looking at Obamacare and if you make $64,000 a year for a family of 2 the government will subsidized your health insurance by $1,500.  But if you make $65,000 you get nothing.  So making that grand more cost you $18,000 in subsidizes.  It make no sense and encourages people not to work.  You would think it would gradually decrease the subsidizes so it's not such a drastic drop.

Yes. Little details like that are what many don't (didn't?) see. And it is why I am glad they dropped the mandate. Unfortunately, I don't know what that will do to premium prices. In my opinion, people should have been allowed to have more latitude in the product they were forced to buy. If you make $65K per year, you probably cannot afford to spend 18 of it on health insurance. That was the fatal flaw in the program. But someone else may have a deeper understanding of the subtleties of the program. If you do, please explain them to me.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

plan on 3-4 miles with Tiny E this evening, may have to wear my running snowshoes; I don’t think there is a hell of a lot of difference, but Montana definitely has a better ring to it than Siberia 

qotd: about $100 increase in my pension (monthly) and about $50 in my paycheck (every two weeks)- if it holds that way should be close to $2500 for a year. I’m sure I can find a way to get it back into the economy 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

What I do know is that 11 years ago when I didn't have health insurance through work  I was able to secure catastrophic health insurance for my husband and me for $600 for 6 month.   I just got a quote for "bronze" insurance which the agent said is basically catastrophic for $1,300 a month.

Yes. Little details like that are what many don't (didn't?) see. And it is why I am glad they dropped the mandate. Unfortunately, I don't know what that will do to premium prices. In my opinion, people should have been allowed to have more latitude in the product they were forced to buy. If you make $65K per year, you probably cannot afford to spend 18 of it on health insurance. That was the fatal flaw in the program. But someone else may have a deeper understanding of the subtleties of the program. If you do, please explain them to me.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

WTF

What I do know is that 11 years ago when I didn't have health insurance through work  I was able to secure catastrophic health insurance for my husband and me for $600 for 6 month.   I just got a quote for "bronze" insurance which the agent said is basically catastrophic for $1,300 a month.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I think one of the flaws was how the “mandate” was enforced- very small penalties for not having it, young folks (for the most part anyways) did the math and it was cheaper to pay the penalty. That’s not an efficient way to get more folks (especially younger folks) into the pool. That was the whole premise of the mandate- get everyone (or nearly everyone) into the pool, thereby lowering rates- didn’t happen.

If not having auto insurance was a $10 fine, I wonder how many people would carry it. In Montana the penalties are pretty stiff and still have quite a few deadbeats that won’t buy it. If the penalties were less stiff it would probably look like a scene out of Mad Max! 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

SRD for me yesterday and today, although I did some light stretching.  No issues from my 50 mi pacing adventure, which is good.

qotd: Looks like I'll get about $375 per month, but as you all point out the real answer will come when we do our taxes a year from now.  We have everything on direct deposit with a set amount going into our "spending money" account, the rest goes into savings so that's where the "extra" will end up.  Trickle down will happen when we dig into the savings, e.g. retirement isn't too far away.

Can't help clarify Health insurance it's a mystery.  My DS has a fairly reasonable monthly premium that he seems to afford.  My DD is able to stay on my work insurance since she is under 26, thanks ACA.  My opinion; the people we pay for in Washington should work together to fix healthcare (like the crazy stuff QoN and LB2 mention) - don't just abolish it.  Pet peeve; folks having to use Emergency Rooms as their primary physicians.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

runtraildc

+1. The problems mentioned are not fatal, imo.  Just something that needed to be fixed, which could have been done, if said politicians were so inclined. I'm quite grateful we are covered (DH is a fed).

Today's run was great! Struggled the last couple of runs, but today, my legs felt like new models fresh out of the showroom.

Can't help clarify Health insurance it's a mystery.  My DS has a fairly reasonable monthly premium that he seems to afford.  My DD is able to stay on my work insurance since she is under 26, thanks ACA.  My opinion; the people we pay for in Washington should work together to fix healthcare (like the crazy stuff QoN and LB2 mention) - don't just abolish it.  Pet peeve; folks having to use Emergency Rooms as their primary physicians.