Trailer Trash

Insanity check (Read 41 times)

Watoni

Well, after struggling with the Achilles, low miles and too much me, the right course of action is to bail on my first two races of the year (Sean O'Brien 100km and one in the Canary Islands in March). I was hoping these would set me up for the Zion 100 in April and another 100-miler in August/September.

I know it is insane, but I am half tempted to drive a ton of hours to the Sean O'Brien and just see how far I can run Saturday .... It would be better to go with the family to Tahoe (even if it pours rain) and run there. But I just hate the DNS .... the next 50 miler I can do is probably in mid March, which is a bit late for Zion (about 3.5 weeks before).

Arghhhhh

AT-runner

Tim

Many times I'll say "go for it",  but ahilles injuries are way to prone to  return without adequate healing.

Sorry about missing your Spring races, but you should be good to go for a fall 100.

Good luck.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

hectortrojan

I would not do it if I am not recovered fully. It sucks not to start the race, but it is worse to aggravate injury and loose more weeks not running.

Watoni

You folks are so logical!!! Thank you, really! I did run 100km at Javelina, but am still paying for it a bit. It is better to get stronger through proper training than binge running at races Wink

Sandy-2

I've got a friend who has been struggling with Achilles problems for years now.  He'll feel a bit better and then do some long run and be hurting again afterwards. I can't help but feel that if he had laid off it in the beginning and really given a chance for it to get better he might have been better off now.  He's too stubborn thou.

Although I feel for you on the DNS, you might be better off for it.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

I have found that sometimes achilles injuries actually get better after a long run...but it sounds like you tried that and it is not working for you.  If it were me, I wouldn't just stop running until it feels better but decrease your volume and focus on finding a fix.  Have you tried eccentric heel drop exercises?  Also, for me, going to low/zero drop shoes fixed most of my achilles/calf issues.  My theory is thsee shoes allow your achilles full extension vs high heel shoes limit achilles movement which leads to it shortening it over time.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I had issues with a couple of tendons in the foot and up into the leg a couple years ago.  Ironically it was not the Achilles which is the norm for runners.  But it took a while to heal.  That area of the foot/leg gets a lot of repetitious use in running and the tendons do not get the kind of blood flow that other tissues get so they can take longer to heal.  But hey...I am not a doctor...I just play one on TV.

I (and probably most on here) get the not wanting to pass it up but take it from me on "hindsight is 20/20" and make the wise decision.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

I would be very disappointed to get a DNS, but I would be more disappointed creating a bigger problem than I already have. Go to Tahoe.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I agree that the DNS is the better option. Forcing miles now is not going to help you, and it might aggrevate the achilles problem or drag it out even longer. Better let it heal up and then go for more later. No need to rush, there is always a great race out there for you.

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

Is this injury on the same side that you had the ankle injury? My ankle is still somewhat sore from my sprain that happened in August. At times I'll have some tenderness in the Achilles.  I think it's related to the injury as well, either due to the Achilles being slightly damaged then or for it having to compensate for the lateral tendon weakness.  FWIW my last ankle injury took about a year for the pain to completely go away.   I won't give an opinion on whether or not you should run, but for me I'd rather take a DNS then a DNF.

Watoni

Is this injury on the same side that you had the ankle injury? My ankle is still somewhat sore from my sprain that happened in August. At times I'll have some tenderness in the Achilles.  I think it's related to the injury as well, either due to the Achilles being slightly damaged then or for it having to compensate for the lateral tendon weakness.  FWIW my last ankle injury took about a year for the pain to completely go away.   I won't give an opinion on whether or not you should run, but for me I'd rather take a DNS then a DNF.

They are somewhat related. I reinjured ihe ankle due to a fall during Javelina about 28 miles in. I ran another 34 on it then said uncle. After that the Achilles has been very tight, but is ok once it warms up. I just have not tested it on anything over 15 miles and am very sensitive to the shoes I wear.

Funny about Tahoe, major weather, maybe a mi of rain and snow but most ski resorts were closed due to wind today

muppy

I struggled most of the summer with an achilles issue, not running for two months, even did physical therapy three times a week. I came back a little too soon and ended up wearing a walking boot for the month of November. Now I'm just taking it easy with no set goals and just trying to stay around 25 miles a week and so far it seems better.

I agree with what ATrunner said,don't screw with the Achilles!