Trailer Trash

Uninspired Friday (Read 22 times)

runtraildc

No catchy title today. Got in just under 5 miles with my running friend, who is back from a month in Korea. Good catching up, we ran really slow so the heat and humidity seemed more bearable. And the cloud cover helped a lot, too.

qotd: I want to say 'pass' as all I can come up with is weekend plans. But let's go with upcoming travel plans or anything exciting happening in your world? It's the middle of summer so we're entrenched in summer swim leagues. 2.5 more weeks and it is over. I cannot believe summer is halfway done and we have nothing exciting planned, except for a Labor Day beach cabin rented at henlopen state park. One of my favorite parks on the beach in these parts. Might head to NH for a long weekend during blueberry season.

moonlightrunner

DC: glad you could find a pleasant pace to balance out the weather. I envy the swimming! My daughter was a swimmer. I loved going to swim meets. They were so fun.

I had an awesome run last night despite the heat and bugs. I need to get out and do a long run this weekend. I am stuck...I love my 9 mile trail...I need to go longer and the weather is supposed to improve.

Summer always goes so fast after the 4th of July. I need to cook up some awesome run adventure before the season is done.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Queen of Nothing

Sue

hello...hello....echo echo..where is everyone??  Ran with the group this morning...it was fun but 7 miles for Jack is the max.  I felt a bit like I was a water skier with a the anchor dropped.  Earl pull me up front and Jack dragging me from the behind.

So yesterdays QOTD I said "but always sunny"  in regards to our weather.  So ummm totally overcast today.    So today I am going to say and we never get rain after July.

QOTD:  Heading to Mt Hood to run 50 miles.  My friend ran it last year and said I thought about you the whole way because it was a course you would love; single track and totally runnable...very few climbs.  After that I have no definite plans.  We are definitely putting the house up for sale and I am definitely retiring but those dates are blurry and once firm I think I am going to do some more backpacking and maybe drive to CO in September...I am also in talks with the parent to go to Alaska with them.

QOTD2:  The other Born to Run thread is making me think how about we pick a book to read runner/ outdoor adventure type and have a little book discussion?  I miss my book club

Three to zero...girls are winning this morning!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

Slept in this morning so I'll have to suffer thru 5 miles of the heat after work today.  For some reason while I'm hitting the snooze button I don't care about the afternoon heat so much.  

Got some gut-wrenching news last night, my DD's friend who did the Mongol Derby (different year as my DD) and has done some ultras with my DD was just diagnosed with lung cancer.  They are still pinning it down but they are leaning towards lymphoma. I know her through my DD and crewed for them on a few of their runs. She was training for her first 100 miler.  She's otherwise as healthy as an ox, and there is some optimistic talk, but it still totally sucks. She's married and has two kids, I guess she's in her mid 30s.

qotd: My DW and I are going to Miami next weekend.  I have to go for a business meeting and she's tagging along then we'll stay for a few extra days. Using those frequent flyer miles. We'll be on the hunt for the best Cuban sandwich.

tbd.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

runtrail - Glad things seem more bearable weather wise.

moonlight - Can you run your 9 mile trail twice?  I'll do that on LR's if I have to restock water, etc.

Sue - Looking forward to your Mt Hood race!  Hope you can get plans squared away with your parents for Alaska too.  I'd put Alaska as a must-see once in your life (haven't been yet).  And you reminded me that I need to read more books.

Sandy - Sorry to hear about DD's friend.  That's terrible when so young!  I hope treatment is effective and not too invasive.  Good luck on your quest for the best Cuban sandwich!

I played a little bit of hooky (i.e. - "work from home") today, so I was able to get out for 8 miles in the morning rain storm.  It was so nice not to feel smothered by the heat and humidity.  I think the humidity dropped with the passing storm, so I might go out later this evening for a few more miles.

QOTD:  DW and I are going to St Martin on the 14th (when Sue will be running around Mt Hood).  We'll be there for a week doing not much of anything but laying on the beach, some snorkeling, lots of eating, and I'll be running, but just to the bar for another beer.  I'll be back at the cabin throughout the summer as well.

3-2.  Girls still up, but it can be like a World Cup match... it's not over yet! 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

AT-runner

Tim

QOTD:  Heading to Mt Hood to run 50 miles.  My friend ran it last year and said I thought about you the whole way because it was a course you would love; single track and totally runnable...very few climbs.  After that I have no definite plans.  We are definitely putting the house up for sale and I am definitely retiring but those dates are blurry and once firm I think I am going to do some more backpacking and maybe drive to CO in September...I am also in talks with the parent to go to Alaska with them.

Just saw I'm 2nd on the Wait List, and Jess was told she was in least week.  We of course, aren't going because we were 123rd and 135 th on Wait List. Jess already replied "NO", so we're pretty pissed that so many people dropped from what was a lottery race. Don't enter the damn lottery of you don't plan on going.  Never in a million years would have thought they'd  get down to our crappy lottery numbers.  Oh well, DD#1 is coming from Portland for the fist 3 days that we are in CO, so we'll see her in Leadville.

SRD today. Long run tomorrow in hopefully better temperatures.

Sandy - That's sad news.  Hoping for good results and prognosis. Unfortunately, the wait for testing and results from cell typing is excruciating.

QOTD:  Eating crabs and drinking beer tonight, long run tomorrow, and if we can get our crap together, we're doing an overnight on the AT.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Another slogfest of a run last night at Coventry Woods. I can't say it was the heat, I just don't feel right on the rocky trails some days, um, I mean most days. Mixed up my normal route slightly for about 6.5 mile run. Still sort of hot out there last night. There was a hint of storms in the air (distant thunder) but alas no rain during my run. It poured overnight, early morning with a loud bright thunder boomer.

Planet of fitness today at lunch. Might take the Lady for a short doggie joggie as the heat wave has broken though it's still a bit humid.

QOTD: No big plans right yet. Boring, but the missus and I don't want to take a trip away from the dogs due to SirB's special needs, and my buddy that I sometimes travel with for running vacations just got a puppy so he is going to be tied up training the dog the next month or two.

Queenie - Have fun at Mt. Hood. Crazy that you say the route does not have any big climbs. Enjoy the scenery!

Sandy - Awful news about your DD's friend.

Berto - Will you be trying any naked snorkeling at St. Marten? Watch out if you do!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NorthernHarrier

Holy crap! I think half the country is up in Vilas county Wisconsin this week. Where do so many touron's come from? When I pull the plug and move here in a year or two I'll have to find somewhere else to escape to during these holiday/vacation times. Anyway I came up with the dogs again last night and it looks like I'll be having some great weather--  72F and sunny right now with low humidity. Had a real nice 9.5 mile trail run on my favorite loop near here this morning and now I have to do some lawn mower repairs since my parts arrived. I'll try to get some mountain biking yet this afternoon before DW arrives.

and maybe drive to CO in September...

Ummm... this sounds interesting. Please do!

QOTD--I never take for granted what I have here and like I said half the country comes up here to vacation but I still like to check out other places. The end of this month I'll be doing a very long weekend shooting out to Colorado and running the Grand Mesa 30k. I was originally gonna do the 55k but after my pathetic run in the Wasatch mtns. a few days back I decided to drop to the 30k. The entire run will be above 10k. Who needs to acclimate. 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

XT:  Looks like a few climbs to me!!!  She did the 50/50 which was 50 miles Saturday and 50K Sunday...looks like the 50K had only one climb so maybe she forgot about the 50 mile climbs.

MH50M elevation profile

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I thought I was going to the gym yesterday evening, but met with the boys for a couple of beers at the brewery instead- talking about a bison hunt this fall. It’s a backcountry unit north of Yellowstone, only five permits issued and he (Dave) drew one. He is trying to gather a decent size crew to assist in packing meat out if he is successful. A big bull will yield 650-700 lbs of boned meat!  Add in the hide and head and your talking some significant work.

Will get to the gym this evening.

qotd: a few backpacking trips planned, next week we’re heading to Eureka (NW corner of the state) have a cabin rented on a nice lake- oldest DW and family staying as well.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Ultra Cowboy

QOTD:  DW and I are going to St Martin on the 14th (when Sue will be running around Mt Hood).  We'll be there for a week doing not much of anything but laying on the beach, some snorkeling, lots of eating, and I'll be running, but just to the bar for another beer.  I'll be back at the cabin throughout the summer as well.

I enjoyed St Maarten in 2016 (the Dutch Side),  Hope it is recovered from the hurricanes.  Looking forward to hearing how it is.

I thought I was going to the gym yesterday evening, but met with the boys for a couple of beers at the brewery instead- talking about a bison hunt this fall. It’s a backcountry unit north of Yellowstone, only five permits issued and he (Dave) drew one. He is trying to gather a decent size crew to assist in packing meat out if he is successful. A big bull will yield 650-700 lbs of boned meat!  Add in the hide and head and your talking some significant work.

Randy Newberg did a show on that hunt I think.  Fresh Tracks. .

WYBMADIITY

Save

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

3 wonderful nice evening miles. Nice temperature, and a good breeze, which made for a great run. I always relax much more on these evening runs than at any other time of day.

Sandy: Very sad news about your DD's friend. I hope the cancer will respond well to the treatment, and she'll have a good outlook.

QOTD: I just came back from Austria, and I spent a few days up at the yurt in Little Pine State Park, hiking and camping with the boys, before my  trip to Austria, so all major travel and vacation this summer is now done. Not as planned, but I have to go with the flow when life demands it.

Maybe a few days on the beach somewhere along the east coast (Carolinas, perhaps Florida) for the boys.

On that note, my DD also just came back home from her all-across-the-country road trip, which covered more than 10,000 miles and took her, well, all across the country. We were looking at her pictures, and I am happy she had such a great experience. I never expected her car to hold up all the way - it's a 20-year old VW Beetle (stick drive!), and it now has about 157,000 miles under its belt without any major hickups.

Queen: Good luck on Mount Hood! My DD showed me pictures of the mountain, quite impressive!

Run for fun.

Lost track of the men vs women's score in posting but I'm here to do my part!  

SRD today, 20 miles or so with a RC friend tomorrow.  Hills and heat are the goal.  Heading over the hill so it will be warmer.  My 50 is the week after Queen's.  Speaking of which, since we're talking about Mt. Hood 50, here's my pic from 2 years ago (any excuse to share it!).  Love that race and didn't find the hills too bad, but it really depends on what you've trained for.  Nice soft trails, trees, moss, ferns, rhododendrons, Timothy Lake, and if you're lucky, Mt. Hood won't be clouded over.

But enough about me...

Berto-o, I was "working" from home today too.  Purely a coincidence that the world cup matches were on this morning.

AT, yeah that's annoying that there were so many people on the Mt. Hood WL that didn't seem to want to do the race.

Sandy, that's terrible news.  I hope they caught the cancer early and her prognosis is good.

MTA: Valerie, you doing Ochoco 50k this weekend?  If so, have fun!

QOTD: I'm heading up to Lake Tahoe in a couple of weeks for my 50 on July 21.  Intentionally keeping the summer open after that, then a trip to the Philippines in September.  Whoever mentioned Alaska, that's on my to-do list too, but not this year.  A friend just came back from AK and posted many incredibly gorgeous pics.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Sandy-2

/\  that photo looks fake!!  It’s so nice. What I’d give to be running in cool mountain air right now...

tbd.