Trailer Trash

Winter Weekender (Read 18 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers!  It's winter in spades here-  -5F this morning and about a foot of snow in town; they say we're supposed to get into the teens today, but color me pessimistic- we'll see.  If it makes it close, I'll hit the trails- if not, probably the treadmill.

I know other parts of the West are hurting for snowpack, Montana seems to be the exception- 150%+ in almost all of ranges- that's better than the alternative for sure.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

No winter here. 68 deg and very rainy with thunderstorms.

I did 4 mi in the pouring rain this morning, it was fun.

Stay warm everyone.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

runtraildc

Cold and rainy here. Just as the group run was finishing up did it really start to rain. 6 miles on the trails in rock creek. Rain through the rest of the weekend, but I can't complain because we are in a drought. And with the warmer temps the next few days, it will sink it and feed the spring bulbs, which are just starting to poke thru the ground. We're still a month away from daffodils, but it feels as if winter's worst is behind us.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Rain just started to his here on the east coast.  Got 11.5 in this morning.  Not looking for tomorrow's run when the rain will be here full force.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

NorthernHarrier

All in all a typical nice winter day here. We have 6-7 inches on the ground and it was calm, sunny, and about 20F today. I ran 17.5 miles on the roads and bike trails today. A visit to my favorite brew pub is on "tap" for tonight.  Probably will need to reload with some calories and rehydrate a little.

A random QOTD--In buying a pair of running shoes would you buy an awful color if it was significantly cheaper or would you get your preferred color knowing some day those shoes once retired from the trails could be your wear around shoes? Same shoe model just with color choices. That's my dilemma.

I'll probably spend the money as I think about it.

Daydreamer1

No run today due to working.  Did get some cross training carrying people into houses though.  Legs and hips need a rest after yesterday's effort in the snow. Post holing is hard work.

https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27750147_1736710549702026_8397857080451198588_n.jpg?oh=986ae3a39779e68dfc4604de6253a694&oe=5ADE6834

My two mile downhill. Made it down about 1/2 mile and turned around.  Not so much the depth but the inch thick crust giving me problems.

https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27545413_1736710883035326_4164074013601769375_n.jpg?oh=f8109c24f71c9136b9cc6a1f36d13cfc&oe=5ADD75A8

Had to do a Warden impression.  Not a very good one though.

https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27749861_1736711246368623_3172821720802298382_n.jpg?oh=2a6bcdcf112ff923baf1e2d9c01cf174&oe=5ADC3AEC

Someone/something else was on the one trail before me.  Tracks were frozen making for some rather interesting footing.

https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27654361_1736711186368629_5779348435742249295_n.jpg?oh=19c1bb2e172a5554f60e1a4f861c117f&oe=5ADFB55E

Following the tracks.

https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27750244_1736711663035248_5456241847784848669_n.jpg?oh=982a096d61e9ae90d372e0add9578bff&oe=5B208FBF

This was about a mile up the mountain through snow that only two other vehicles had tackled.  About a average 8% or better grade and I was scraping on the bottom the whole way.  Needless to say I was impressed with the SUV.   Jeeps now bow down to it.

https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27657609_1736712009701880_3665697562066544243_n.jpg?oh=886b8056679874fb90794c2d13ef21d1&oe=5B0C69CA

Damage from breaking through the crust. More bruising and rather tender today.  I was wearing my Asics with waterproof socks. How do you protect your ankles and  keep this from happening?

GC100k

12 miles on the roads in the rain today. Trails are a mess of ice on top of snow on top of ice. First time on the roads since last spring. Did you know that asphalt is hard?

QOTD: color is a factor, either for running or retired running shoes as casual shoes. Whether I'd get the cheaper but uglier ones depends on how much is the price difference and how ugly are they. I like dark, dull colors. Nothing too garish.

AT-runner

Tim

Raining pretty hard during our 6 mile tempo run.  Felt pretty good to push the pace.  What I learned is I need to do more tempo runs. Tomorrow looks pretty wet. Hope temperature stays up a bit, I hate being cold and wet on a longish run.

dreamer - close on the selfie.

QOTD:  Price over color. I'm not too picky, and I have some ugly shoes already. After a few coats of mud, they all look the same.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

DD- I give it a 8.5, not bad 

Tiny Elvis and I got 6.5 miles on snowshoes (TE wasn't on shoes)- cold, about 10, but sun was out and little wind so a pretty nice afternoon outing

qotd: I usually get the color I want, but do have some rather "bold" looking shoes in my collection

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I set out for 10 miles but ended at 12.5 so I guess it was a good day for bonus miles.

QOTD: Hmm....depends on the colors.  

Have a great night/day/rest of the weekend.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

No run today... long one tomorrow.

Qotd:  I bought the cheaper pair in the raspberry color with the hot pinks strips  cause they cost less.  But then once I retire them they are only used for yard work.  I did where them to the gym and kept seeing them and fekt like  I was five!!  Money is. Money and they are just shoes...get the cheaoer ones and enjoy a couple IpAs with your savings.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

10.5 miles today, then volunteered at a trail race in the afternoon.  Not wintery here at all.  Envious of those with a robust snowpack, which we do not have in CA.  There goes our water supply.  Again.

QOTD: price over color for sure.  Shoes are shoes, I can run in any color.  My garden isn't picky either, after I retire the shoes.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

AT-runner

Tim

10.5 miles today, then volunteered at a trail race in the afternoon.  Not wintery here at all.  Envious of those with a robust snowpack, which we do not have in CA.  There goes our water supply.  Again.

QOTD: price over color for sure.  Shoes are shoes, I can run in any color.  My garden isn't picky either, after I retire the shoes.

DW uses her old shoes in the garden, and mine become "lawn shoes".

Sandy-2

Back to winter-ish, it was 38 deg and pretty windy on my 5 mi run this morning.  At least it wasn't raining.  I may have to take a few days off to get over this hamstring thing, it isn't bad, but I can feel it when starting up, going up hills, and it's slowing me down (even more than usual).  I guess some rest won't kill me.

qotd: I really don't care about shoe color, other than preferring lighter colors in the summer for a little help in keeping things cool, but I'd go with the cheaper price.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

AT-runner

Tim

8 miles on the Hamster Wheel of Death. It was a slog. Started watching Altered Carbon on Netflix. Seems interesting. I read the book along time ago.

Raining in buckets, so TM was the best option. I’ll do my long run in Tuesday.