Trailer Trash

weekender (Read 19 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

happy weekend 

ended up strength training yesterday vs hitting the trails, will hit the trails today- going to try and get something half way longish, not sure if that's today or tomorrow- we shall see

qotwe: real estate prices in your area? rising, falling steady?

When we moved here five years ago the market was very strong (much stronger than Eastern Montana) so we took a pretty good beating buying here, BUT the market is even stronger now.  Our original neighbor on the corner (it's a bigger home than ours) paid about $300k-ish for their newly built home in 2012, they sold it last year for $400k-ish- the new neighbors have been there a year, if that, have it for sale now for $470k    now they certainly may not get that, but my guess is it will be definitely well north of $400k   Anywho, it's definitely a seller's market and we have no doubt the value of our home has increased significantly in the five years since we purchased it.  We're giving serious thought about down sizing a bit and looking at a townhouse/condo (no lawn maintenance, etc) , if we could find something we like it could be a really win financially for us

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

About 9 miles for me today, including a 10k trail race called the Swamp Creek Stomp. Pretty fun course. Most of the trails were twisty, rustic, meaning barely trails through lowlands around Swamp Creek. Serious mud patches in many places all over the course. Sucked my foot out of the shoe in second bog. Lost a few places getting the bugger back on. Two crosses of the main creek and too many small creak, ditch crossings to count. Everyone was pretty muddied up. A 5k took place at the same time and instead of a double the 10k split off for bonus distance and rejoined it multiple times. Very well marked course, and considering the nature of the trails that was a plus. Last mile was in an open meadow and set my sites on 2 guys ahead and reeled them in for decent finish.. 56:40, just over 9 minute pace. Good for me these days especially considering all slowing mud.

QOTD: I should pay attention, and I would guess pretty good but still off it's peak from a decade ago. Still we are fine as we bought our property ages ago so even with a mortgage still due to some improvements we made, we have plenty of equity.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

2 1/2 hours on the trails with DW. I was pretty wiped by the end, even with a slow pace. My energy just gets drained from me, and I don't recover. I need to just shut it down, I guess.  I have blood work up on Monday before I leave town for a golf trip.

XT - My USGA Handicap is an 8.8 right now, but doubtful that I'll play up to that since I didn't play much golf last year (and with our winter, haven't played yet this year).  I've been playing since I was a youngster and even caddied for a while in HS. And nice job on your 10K. Hope it's a sign you are on the mend.

QOTD:  Haven't hit the high we did a few years back, but things are returning.  Been in our house since 1991, and no plans on levaing anytime soon.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Bert-o

I lost my rama

XT - That's a great time on a muddy 10K!  Nice work.

AT - 2.5 hours is the most you've done in quite some time.  Hoping for signs of improvement in your blood work.

Got 8 in this morning.  It was pretty warm and sunny.  Shirt was drenched in sweat.  Might to out for a few more later.  Tomorrow will be back to rainy and cold for the long run.  Fun.

QOTW - When everything went into the tank during the housing market crash, I told my not yet DW that we have to buy now.  Prices dropped a bit, but there was no low balling in our area.  We found a really good deal - mostly because of the location - but since all the lending rules were changing, it took over 6 months to close.  We were homeless for a month waiting for a closing date.  A few years later, we refinanced and our place was appraised at over 50% on top of what we paid, so we made out good.  Today, we wouldn't be able to afford to buy our own place, so they're definitely rising.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Sandy-2

Bright and sunny in Oslo today. Warm too.  As a result every person living in the Oslo area was down at the harbor at the same time I was today. Great people watching.  In the late afternoon I went for a run, 6+ miles, in town but I did hit Frognors Park (the one with all the naked statues). I think everyone was just glad to seen the sun after the long winter here.

Now I’m at a bar thinking about what to eat for dinner.  Just paid $18 bucks for a beer. Ouch!  Good thing the company is paying!

Nice run XT!!!

qotd: Houston real estate prices are flat flat flat. 20 years ago we had a House here for 4 years and sold it for the exact same price as we bought it.  However now things are getting a bit tighter and we see that houses in our are are appreciating a bit.  Problem is we were thinking of downsizing ‘cause it’s just the 2 of us now and the smaller houses were more expensive than our 2 story 4BR monster.

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

Now I’m at a bar thinking about what to eat for dinner.  Just paid $18 bucks for a beer. Ouch!  Good thing the company is paying!

Ouch, that's worse than Ballpark prices.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Hi trailers. 5 miserable miles with the group this morning. It was day 1 of the couch to 5k program, according to my legs. I'm still really tired, but tomorrow is a whole new day. Hot and windy here.

qotd: It's DC, what can I say? Some areas, especially outside the beltway were hit in the downturn. Ours just went a little bit flat for a few years, but houses for sale in my neighborhood are uncommon so they sell within days (by a metro, lots of services, restaurants, etc.). We made a distinct decision when buying-- smaller, needs lots of work, good location won out over a larger, new build with long commute. We probably could not afford our house now.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

XT- nice work!

Sandy- $18 US?  that's crazy; I told my wife, she was in Oslo just after graduating from high school (which was a long time ago ), and said it used to be cheap, even cheaper than here back then- something changed

4.5 miles with Tiny Elvis- I had a 60 lb pack on, Tiny was free as a bird 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

SRD.

Its DS’s birthday, so it’s Pool party and sleepover. I’d be ready for some sleep, but the boys are still in pool party mode.

AT: I hope your follow up goes well. Might just take its time to heal up.

Sandy: That’s some expensive beer.

QOTD: pretty much the same as 15 years ago, just lately prices have gone up slightly because Penn State is expanding again. In our school district, houses and rent are extremely expensive for rural Pennsylvania, not so much as soon as you go outside the school district.

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

Sandy- $18 US?  that's crazy 

Yup NOK 140 which is about $18 US. That was for 0.5l, it is crazy!! That was for an IPA, next time I’ll get a cheaper local variant. 

Taking the the train to Bergen today. Gonna be SRD Sun and Mon for me.

tbd.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Sandy - If the company is buying....  Drink away and enjoy the continued travels.

Got 5 more last night and 13 in this morning.  The warm weather yesterday was quickly replaced with cloudy and very windy 40 degrees this morning.  No shortage of things to bitch about.  Rain is coming this evening, so maybe I'll go out for a few more.  Why not?

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Tired today, but. did some swimming in the pool this morning, then relaxed in the hot tub, before cleaning off the breakfast buffet. What a start into the day.

Cold here today, 43 degrees and drizzling, quite a change from yesterday’s sunny 86 degrees. And it’s only going to get colder throughout the day. I am reconsidering my planned afternoon run. Maybe take a nap instead.

Run for fun.

runtraildc

30 degrees cooler today over yesterday. Ran 7 miles along the creek to see the bluebells. This trail is less than 10 minutes from my house. Run felt so much better than yesterday, but today's 'run' was more like a hike. The combined age of the three of us was 175, one being substantially older than the others. There are sections that are not great for the balanced challenged, so we went at a safer pace. The rain started just as we returned to the parking lot.

from my crappy phone

Sandy-2

The train made it over the high plans and down into Bergen. If look closely at the first photo you can see cross country skiing track markers. I think it goes for miles, may have to come back and run it. The beer is slightly cheaper here (to convert to USD divide by 7.8).

Taking a boat ride on a fjord tomorrow. Then the train back to Oslo.

tbd.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The train made it over the high plans and down into Bergen. If look closely at the first photo you can see cross country skiing track markers. I think it goes for miles, may have to come back and run it. The beer is slightly cheaper here (to convert to USD divide by 7.8).

aking a boat ride on a fjord tomorrow. Then the train back to Oslo

Bergen was a great city to explore, though I was a little taken aback seeing whale meat being sold in the open air market (summer).

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.