Trailer Trash

Cyber Tuesdaily (Read 17 times)

jonferg67

Endless trails

C'mon people, where is everyone? Have the hackers made it to our forum yet.

Great weather this morning for a quick 4 miles on my trails. I wish I had more

time for trail maintenance. I have the same feeling of accomplishment that

LB mentioned last week after weed-wacking his trails, their is something

about it I just can't describe.

QOTD: Do you think the Internet will run it's course and end in our lifetimes?

I don't know, but I do think we are relying on it more and more. I think we are

vulnerable due to that fact.

AT-runner

Tim

Hip still feels sore, so no run today but probably a walk.  Going to open up the pool and see how green it is.

QOTD:  I think we'll remain connected to the WWW in some way. Might not be lap tops or tablets, but probably more phone usage or even holographic devises.  Instant information is hard to take away once you have it.  It's funny when I hear people complain about how slow their response is to a query. I remember using my dial-up modem where I had to put the phone on the cradle, and that was't that long ago. I would search for a research article on "Web Crawler" and come back in 10 minutes and see the response. I was amazed it had found what I needed in "only 10 minutes". Now we get upset if it's 10 seconds.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Got home from work a little late and expected to be late to the party here. Maybe everyone is out buying or downloading antivirus and malware products.  Since I work from home at times and access patient charts I was thinking of upgrading to some of the same programs that Boeing and Lockheed Martin use to protect themselves.  Already have some anti tracking stuff on my computers that some sites down't like.

Getting ready to go for a bike ride with Evil Knievel, AKA DW (that's her new nickname at work). Probably do 20+ miles then I'll try to get in a shorter run of about 5-6 miles a little later in the evening.

QOTD:  Will it end in our lifetime? Not a chance. It may change quite a bit, but I see most people becoming more "connected" over time.  I see us moving away from physical connections in some areas to wireless and even space based technologies. I stumbled on some of the things that are being developed on the one investment web site that I frequent.  In some ways this will be good and in someways it will be bad.  Quick and easy communications can really increase productivity and knowledge. At the same time it leaves us open to be tracked and manipulated by the idiots in government.   I'm actually not sure if it leaves us more vulnerable for things like having our information stolen or not. In the pre-internet days I had several friends that had information stolen.  Mail was stolen and the ID was used for nefarious purposes. Another guy had a large check written on his account. Someone was able to pull a check out of his checkbook when they walked into his house. Crooks have always had tricks up their sleeves and been plying their trade. Now when it happens everyone hears about it due to the Internet.  A genuine mixed bag.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

going to try and get 5-ish in this evening- try to work a little soreness out of my legs

qotd: I think it might take different forms in the future, but the connectivity isn't going anywhere

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

Hi trailers. Haven't run yet, waiting for a delivery. I'm getting impatient. Probably a short one, 4-5 miles along the paved trail on the creek.

qotd: I'm curious to see how it changes over the rest of my lifetime (and how humanity changes, too and). Like AT, I remember the days of dial up. And we just switched from DSL to fibre. 

LB2

I was going to start it, but two FBI agents showed up at my office. We chatted for an hour. I am not in trouble, but it was an interesting conversation. They already knew all the answers except for a few details. I'll run a short loop after work.

QOTD: I think the internet is here to stay. But I think it will be far more advanced than anything I can imagine in the future.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Little over 4 with the mutts this morning..also ran 4.5 night before...wow!  what has happened to me.  It was a painful slow 4 this morning.  I really need to up my game or just call it dog walking/jogging. 

QOTD:  What happened?  Guess I can google it.  I think it's here to stay.

AT:  Mike complains about it when trying to send pictures to someone.  I reminded him how in the past he would go to CVS pay extra for 1 hour photos and then take them to the post office and pay extra to overnight them.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

I'm planning on doing 4 after work today.  Well, it looks like I am currently in taper mode.  Not sure what else to call it, since my DD "convinced" me to run with her on Saturday.  It's a 12 hour treasure hunt, I'll probably do in the 10 to 12 hour range (35 to 40 mile range).  The objective is not the miles, but collecting the treasure points, whoever gets the most points wins.  They don't even keep track of the miles, but ya gotta run the trails to get the treasure.  There will be some navigation and strategy involved.  Although most of the things you have to find are on-trail (you have to carry little books and visit stamping stations to collect the "treasure"), there could also be a little navigation involved to find some special "harder to find" off-trail things.  Of course it's going to be hot and humid.....  all to keep the base training for the hondo I'm planning in October.

Luckily no virus attack at home or the office, heck at the office it's really difficult to get into our system even if we have the various passwords. I guess it could also keep the hackers at bay.

LB2, will we see you on CNN later tonight?  Replacement for Comey perhaps?  

qotd: No I don't think it will fizzle out any time soon.  It may change form in terms of access devices, but the basic web of info will last.

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

AT:  Mike complains about it when trying to send pictures to someone.  I reminded him how in the past he would go to CVS pay extra for 1 hour photos and then take them to the post office and pay extra to overnight them.

Louis C.K. has a funny stand up but about that.  "...give it a second. Would you just give it a second, it's going to space. Could you just give it a second to get back from SPACE."

AT-runner

Tim

I was going to start it, but two FBI agents showed up at my office. We chatted for an hour. I am not in trouble, but it was an interesting conversation. They already knew all the answers except for a few details. I'll run a short loop after work.

Now that's a teaser. A college problem or "past mayor" thing?

LB2

LB2, will we see you on CNN later tonight?  Replacement for Comey perhaps?  

No and no. haha

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I was going to start the dailies too but then something called work happened...

A short run last night, a short run at DW's soccer practice tonight.  All this short stuff has me feeling...short.

QOTD: I totally remember dial up.  Wow it was slow.  I remember AOL advertising their lightning quick 56k service.   I think the only way we get rid of it is if terrorists decide to target that knowing all the chaos it would cause.  The problem is it would be chaos for them as well.  But I agree with AT that it may look different in the future but we will always have free flowing endless info floating through the air.  The difference may be how we access via different devices etc.  We see the changes now as cable TV is starting to really struggle.  They are selling "boxes" that will give you access to just about any channel in the world via the internet.  Right now, you pretty much have to have it hardwired as wifi gives sporadic access.  Should be interesting to say the least.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

Now that's a teaser. A college problem or "past mayor" thing?

All the questions dealt with possible voter irregularities. I asked them if it had anything to do with Trump's assertions. They said it wasn't directly related to that.  Basically, you have quite a few people who move away from here but still vote here. They asked if it seemed to be a coordinated effort and if I thought it was racially motivated. What I told them was that it was basically a rural area where people leave and their parents or uncles or whomever are still here, and they vote in blocks by families in many cases. Also, some people have a lot of land, so tax elections are always an issue. It is has nothing to with racial lines; everyone pretty much does that to some extent around here regardless of ethnicity. But more specifically, they wanted to know if anyone had ever used my ID to vote in my place, and they wanted to know if I knew of anyone who had paid people to vote. It was pretty general, but they had specific questions for me, too, but it was all along the same lines. I had to explain my situation from last year. They seemed to already have that part figured out, though. We had a pretty good laugh at my sarcasm with a news reporter. Anyway, I explained the whole story from start to finish, and then they gave me a subpoena to come to a grand jury hearing to testify. But they also said it was unlikely that I would be called to testify. I don't know the scope of the investigation, but I can tell you that it is not me as far as I know. It is a little scary when the FBI shows up at your office, though. I think they are looking for evidence of vote buying and voter fraud as defined by having someone vote in another person's place. I doubt they will find any of that going on.

LB2