Trailer Trash

Hyner 25K RR (Read 24 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Race report is posted in the Beginners and Beyond Group here.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

sounds like a very tough 25k!  anytime you're grabbing for something, that's a steep climb   fortunately nothing that steep for the Elkhorn- plenty of vert, but no grabbing for shrubs and roots 

while you didn't finish as well as you hoped, looks like you learned a bunch- can't complain about that

one tip- keep track of your vertical as well as your mileage, my weekly mileage isn't very impressive (30-40 miles), but I generally am getting close to 10,000'  per week; I also try to dedicate one day (one day is all I can handle) to hill repeats- hill repeats work, unfortunately they suck

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Good read George. I wasn't sure of your last name but I thought that you made it, another victim of Hyner .  That course always beats me up for some reason. If it's not my legs failing at the end it's my stomach.

What bothered you the most?  The rocks, elevation gain, or something else?  For me it's always the rocks.

Not quite sure where to tell you to train for stuff like this down your way. Maybe Keystone can give you some help with that.

runtraildc

Congratulations on a brutal course!  And thanks for sharing-- some good lessons and insight there.

Keep Going

George great job in finishing that monster! It was fun wasn't it?  I loved it!! The 50K was even prettier out back with sweeping canyon vistas and quiet remote single track! That race is a gem!

100 milers are my favorite

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thanks all! I wish I hadn't been so preoccupied with simply getting up the climbs. I did get a few glimpses of the scenery, mostly when I reached the top at Hyner View, but most of the time couldn't pay much attention to my surroundings concentrating more on where I was placing my feet. I'm really surprised I didn't cross the finish line all bloodied. My quads and calves are killing me today from the vertical gain. Most of the time, once I got my nutrition and eating under control, I felt good on the downhill and flat, strong but unwilling to move faster because of the gains still to come. I'm going to try some day trips to run at French Creek and Hickory Run. I'd like to run Rothrock, but that would mean asking for yet another weekend off work.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Sandy-2

Congratulations.  It sounds like a beast.

tbd.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I'm clueless. How much elevation change on this course?  Sounds brutal.

You people have issues 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm clueless. How much elevation change on this course?  Sounds brutal.

Three big climbs ranging from 850 to 1300 feet from my reading of the elevation chart. Total of 4226 ft of gain per their website.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Three big climbs ranging from 850 to 1300 feet from my reading of the elevation chart. Total of 4226 ft of gain per their website.

I had a look at the elevation chart.  Looks awesomely

intense. We have a local climb that's similar but it is all rock and not mud.  Excellent job.  I'd love to get back east and try some of these awesome trails you guys experience.

You people have issues 

XtremeTaper

Tough one George. Hyner is about the toughest course per mile I've run, including my races at Massanutten, Superior, and others. They do a great job though and getting one's self up the mountain to Hyner View and taking in the view is pretty incredible. If I read this right, you did not carry any fluids for the beginning part of the race? Definitely a mistake for a course like Hyner... or any trail race.. you have to think in terms of time not miles. Anyway, you persevered and made it through and I don't believe you will find too many courses out west that are any more difficult per mile than Hyner.

As for training in SE PA, French Creek is great but does not have the big climbs like Hyner. There are a few places there, maybe 500-600 feet in one hill, max. You might consider the Appalachian Trail north of Reading. There is a trail head near the Hamburg Reservoir, up reservoir road. There are some big climbs there up to 1,000 feet. While there is a ridiculously rocky strewn section between Pulpit's Rock and the Pinnacle, the majority of the trail is good for running and there are some very big climbs and descents.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Tough one George. Hyner is about the toughest course per mile I've run, including my races at Massanutten, Superior, and others. They do a great job though and getting one's self up the mountain to Hyner View and taking in the view is pretty incredible. If I read this right, you did not carry any fluids for the beginning part of the race? Definitely a mistake for a course like Hyner... or any trail race.. you have to think in terms of time not miles. Anyway, you persevered and made it through and I don't believe you will find too many courses out west that are any more difficult per mile than Hyner.

+1

You people have issues 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Factoring in time rather than distance was a lesson hammered home on Saturday. Around the neighborhood on relatively easy terrain I have no problems going out for 2 hours without water, but it was completely different at Hyner. Thank God for the kindness and concern of fellow trail runners.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Keep Going

Factoring in time rather than distance was a lesson hammered home on Saturday. Around the neighborhood on relatively easy terrain I have no problems going out for 2 hours without water, but it was completely different at Hyner. Thank God for the kindness and concern of fellow trail runners.

George just keep in mind that Hyner is a mountain race. Big difference then your typical average trail race like Dirty German or Blues Cruise in our area. And like Taper said for mountain races you need to hit the AT, it's really the only place you can get sustained climbs and descents in our area. (the descents are what really murder you) Valley Forge is a great place but those I would consider rolling hills and you need to condition your quads for the shear punishment that you will bestow on them if you plan on running in central PA. So if you hit the AT or Conestoga Trail out on the river a few times a month Hyner won't be nearly as punishing. But still awesome you stuck it out and pushed through! You should definitely be proud!

100 milers are my favorite

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Holy cow George! I finished literally right in front of you!!!!

I finished the 50k in 7:39:44 - I must have passed you right at the end.  I wasn't going to run in the last 50 yards but the hecklers on the side made me!  I remember passing a bunch of 25ers right at the end and kind of felt bad.

I did look for you before the 50k but gave up after a bit since there were SO MANY PEOPLE! It was like looking for Waldo in those Where's Waldo books.

Congrats! There's no shame in saying Hyner kicked your hyner.  It does that for most of us.  I did the 25k once and never again (unless my kids want to hike it someday).  Just too many people.  Even the 50k this year had more than in previous years.

It is a great part of PA though.  I know you said you didn't get to see much cuz of always looking down but the sheer beauty of the area is amazing.

Congrats on finishing.  It is truly a tough SOB - the whole thing not just that climb.

It may not be what you want to do but one suggestion to prep for the climbs (and descents) is to do the stair machine at the gym.  I cannot hit the trails nearly as much as I used to but the stair machine helps a decent amount - even 1-2x per week.

And for anyone not sure about the gain/loss, below is the elevation profile on the Hyner website.  Just looking at it makes ya wonder why so many people put themselves through the pain!!!!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday