Trailer Trash

Hoka Questions (Read 113 times)

Resurrecting an old thread instead of starting a new one....

Does anyone have any opinions on the newer models of Hokas? What about the road/trail crossover model?

After some bad foot pain on a long road run this weekend I'm considering finally biting the bullet and getting a pair.

charlesmoman

I have run with mainly Hokas for 2 years. I have the Bondi B and Stinson Evo.

I recently bought the Rap Nui Tarmac and trail versions and love them.

They seem to have less cushioning than my Stinson and I am ok with that.

I have friends who had knee and foot issues and thought Hokas were stupid.

And they they tried them and their pan went away.

Will that happen for you?
      None of us can say, but they do work for many people.

And other brands are now going with more cushioning as well.

Thanks, Charles!

Runningwarehouse.com is having a 50% off sale on some items.

Has anyone tried the Stinson ATR? They are supposedly a road/trail model.

Daydreamer1

Has anyone tried the Stinson ATR? They are supposedly a road/trail model.

I had a pair of Stinsons. Since they are about two years old they may be slightly different then the newest ones. It seems like Hoka is constantly changing things. But anyway, I hated them on the technical trails. They didn't grip the wet rocks very well. I had numerous ankle rolls in them, nothing really bad but enough to see that they did not have any lateral stability. They were much worse then the Mafates and Bondis. I'm currently running trails in a new pair of Mafates. Lots of cushion, tread seem grippy and no real problem with ankle rolls, and I've been using them on technical trails covered in ice and snow.  I loved the Bondis for road and moderate trails. They do well on rocks and roots even when wet, but don't have the tread for mud.  I have a pair of Conquests waiting for the Bondis to wear out. They seem firmer then the Bondis but I haven't wore them outside the house yet.

Just bear in mind that I have really loose ankles and have rolled them multiple times, both in Hokas, NB 1210s and Cascadias. I'll probably be wearing ankle braces or taping for any races or hard runs this year.

charlesmoman

The ATR shoes interest me too.

They are on sale at Running Warehouse now for $79.88

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/HOKA_ONE_ONE_Stinson_ATR/descpage-HSATRM2.html

Watoni

My ankle problems started in the old Stinsons.

I have run quite a few miles in the Huakas, which are a decent road/trail model. I did mash a toenail on a really technical downhill, but they work pretty well for non-technical trails and road.

Caveat" I have a hope/hate relationship with Hoka generally. I hope something they offer will help with some issue I am having for ultras, then I am disappointed and bitter Wink Stinson, Rapa Nui 2, Challenger ATR I am talking to you

Queen of Nothing

Sue

This website has them one sale...

Shop Hookah Pipes

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Well played Queen!

I run in the Stinson ATR.  After some tinkering I think I have it right.  I overpronate so they were making my IT bands scream.  My custom orthotics just bother me too much so I compromised and bought a good pair of OTC inserts.  Really I took a chance that they would work.  So far so good.  But this does not really answer the question about the newer ones....so I am interested too in what changed.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

Well played Queen!

I overpronate so they were making my IT bands scream.  My custom orthotics just bother me too much so I compromised and bought a good pair of OTC inserts. 

Which OTC inserts do you use?  Spenco has worked the best for me. I have a pair of Superfeet that I'm using in my Hoka's right now.
                    For thinner soled shoes the Spenco's provide more arch  support. The Superfeet are adequate in the Hokas.

I never judge a shoe by how much support they have built into them. I just correct the problems with inserts. I can heat my Spencos up and mold them to where I need them to be.

The biggest reason I stay with the Hokas is for the cushioning. My old joints can really tell the difference.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I use the Superfeet too.  They come in different colors (which match the size of the arch support) - I tried the orange - I believe it is the max arch support.  They fit great - I didn't even have to trim them.  They cost about $50 and so far have been well worth the money.

Which OTC inserts do you use?  Spenco has worked the best for me. I have a pair of Superfeet that I'm using in my Hoka's right now.
                      For thinner soled shoes the Spenco's provide more arch  support. The Superfeet are adequate in the Hokas.

I never judge a shoe by how much support they have built into them. I just correct the problems with inserts. I can heat my Spencos up and mold them to where I need them to be.

The biggest reason I stay with the Hokas is for the cushioning. My old joints can really tell the difference.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

Shoe review time if anyone is interested.

Last December I picked up a pair of Hoka Conquests on sale from Running Warehouse. All I've used them for is to walk around in the house and a few light jogs on our old treadmill. They were supposed to replace my Bondi B when they wear out. Today I took the Conquests out for a 6.4 mile road run. I must say I was disappointed.

The biggest reason I buy Hokas is for the cushioning. These were supposed to have a plush ride. I find them to be rather firm.  Both my Stinsons (719.8 miles) and Bondi B (755.8 miles) still have a more plush ride then the new Conquests.  The Conquests are only slightly softer then my NB 1210s and NB 870s.  I certainly would not pay $170.00 for these shoes. The $99.00 I paid was too much.

Most likely I'll use these to replace my 870s which I use for the Gym and treadmill running. I might try them on some moderate trails as long as it's dry.  I doubt that I'll use them for anything over 6-7 miles if I do use them on the road. I still have some slight tenderness in my right ankle from last years injury. Today it was far more noticeable during my run and afterwards the ankle was stiff.

I've always found Hokas to be wide enough for me and to run about a 1/2 size bigger. These seem to be narrower then the Mafates, Stinsons and Bondis in the forefoot. At the same time they are big enough in the heal cup that I would have no problem running with a ankle brace if I need to.

Daydreamer-- my LRS offered the Conquest as more of a "stability" shoe for overpronators, not sure if that is correct. I did not try them on.

I ended up buying a pair of Bondi 4's from the LRS. They are a bit pricey at $150 but I had a gift card. I ran 5.5 miles in them last night and love them so far. I'm definitely thinking about getting a trail model, though I do like my Brooks Cascadias.