Trailer Trash

Basic Tuesday 8/2 (Read 16 times)

XtremeTaper

7 miles for the Lady and I last night on the blue trail of green lane. Grey calm and humid but temps fairly low, only about 80. I had some zip in the legs at the end which felt good. Today, this evening the plan is 7 miles over at Birdsboro watershed trails.

QOTD: Base miles. What is a good base mileage for you and any other comments about base miles in general.

A good base for me is 50-60mpw. While training for a goal race I certainly go over this and I may do so during non-race training phases as well. Heck sometimes I think anymore my training in general is one constant base phase as I do few if any structured workouts. This week I am sort of on the 7 mile plan. 7 miles a day during the week and slightly longer over the weekend. I will probably only do 1-2 "long" runs a month during a base phase.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Got in 7+ this morning.  It is noticeably dark at 5:30am now.  I feel like it was just yesterday that 5am was light out.  Oh well, I prefer the dark anyways.

QOTD: I don't know.  I feel like I put in a year plus of building some sort of base and then get injured - that has been my pattern over the last 8 years.  I don't follow any specific training plans.  I have always struggled to do so.  I have a general awareness of what I need to run in order to run a goal race - for instance in October I will run Oil Creek 100k.  I keep my "base" of 140-175 miles per month for a few months and throw in some LRs occasionally.  Since I am not competing for anything, I am just there to finish.  It's been working so far.

XT - you are one of the more constant runners I know.  From you (and others on here) I learned that the constant mileage is more beneficial then what I used to do which was LR on the weekend and somewhat minimal miles during the week as not to fry my legs prior to.  This is why I now say that LRs are overrated.  They are beneficial but not necessary nearly as often as one might think.  One LR every 4-6 weeks is good - in my opinion.

Rant - I am soooo not political and have purposely tried to not even pay attention to any of the nonsense going on but I had to listen (even if just for a few minutes) to Trump's "speech" last night since he was literally 5 miles away at our local high school.  Is he not the most arrogant man ever? He kept interrupting his own "speech" to talk about how good he is or how he "knows someone" or that he is funding his own campaign.  I know that being a good public speaker does not make someone a good president but boy if you are not, it makes it hard to know what they truly stand for.  As much as I don't want Hillary in office, I really am having a hard time with the idea of hearing Trump for the next 4 years.  This intensifies my utter distaste for politics.  

Ok I'm done....

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Got out early for a 2 hour run with a buddy.  Nice single track with not too many hill; just over 12 miles.  He's a faster runner, so was a good push for me.

XT - do you carry water for the dogs, or do they drink from lake / streams?

Jamie - my buddy is a HUGE Hillary supporter and believes everything she says. He wanted to talk politics today and I if I heard another thing about Trump or Hilary I was running the other direction. He finally got the message.  I think I'm voting for Gary Johnson. Not because he can win, but because neither of the other two should be in office and no one can blame me for putting them there.

QOTD:  Never really think about base or build up too much.  I've run 35-50 mpw for years.  I run more in good weather and less in bad.  If I have something I'm training, I add as much course specific running as I can and add on to my long runs.  I'm not competitive, so most of my runs I do for my own mental therapy as opposed to some physical gain.  That's probably why I've slowed down from my marathon days, but I'm fine with that as long as I stay healthy.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

5-ish miles in the pitch dark; at least it's cool!  I always find it amazing that we will routinely get 40+ degree swings in the temperature this time of year.

qotd: I'm on (and have been) the run four days a week plan; usually three runs in the 5-7 mile range and one long run on the 15-20-ish mile range- usually in the 30-ish miles/week range

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NHLA

6 miles this morning. Group run tonight.

qotd  50 mpw

Daydreamer1

Ended up not running yesterday. Partly because of lack of interest, partly due to doing other things, and partly because my right knee is sore. The knee has been an issue for years, even when biking.

Not sure what today will bring.  Having a lot of stress right now in life and it's stripping my desire to run.  Probably try for at least 5 miles later this afternoon.

QOTD:  I seem to need at least 30 miles per week on average.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

If you aren't into the August fun posting I will repost what was so fun for me today...I was running in the woods heading up the hill that takes me to a power line trail...Jack and Earl were excited and Earl was howling up a storm.  We step out of the woods and I see a bear who took off running into the woods.   I kept expecting to see him again since I was sure he would be headed in the same direction as me.  Since he didn't take off just hearing Earl I wonder how good those little bear bells are.  6.6 this am.

QOTD:  I'm guessing 30 miles but don't really know...I don't track things enough to know my race went so well because of my training or went so poorly because of my lack of training.

Extreme:  Dam extreme you have a very big base.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Gator eye

Ten this morning, 6 on the road then I hit the treadmill for some hill work.

QOTD: I'm pretty much on the ten mile program. I've gotten away from the weekend super long run, it takes up to much time on the weekend and the weekday runs are spent trying to recover. I try to get inbetween 50 and 70 miles a week while building up for a race.

XtremeTaper

Jamie - I consider base miles just normal running with no big training race goals in the immediate future. It's usually lower miles for me than say the months before a big race. The days ARE getting slightly shorter. It will be really noticeable by the end of the month.

AT - I've never carried water for the Lady, other than in FL. Around here plenty of lakes, streams, and creeks, but this time of year the flow can be low in some places. Typical runs 2-3 miles max between water stops for her.

Warden - That's a huge temp swing. Yesterday I bet ours was less than 10 degrees.

NHLA - Doubling up on Tuesday. Two for Tuesday!

Queenie -  

Gator - I've crossed over to the camp a few years back that a long run on a weekly basis is really not needed either.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I like the thought process of less long runs...it takes up so much time....and ran the other days and glad I carried extra water for the mutts because when we got to the creek it was dry!!!

AT - I've never carried water for the Lady, other than in FL. Around here plenty of lakes, streams, and creeks, but this time of year the flow can be low in some places. Typical runs 2-3 miles max between water stops for her.

Gator - I've crossed over to the camp a few years back that a long run on a weekly basis is really not needed either.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NHLA

steepcanyon50k.com   sept 8th  only 18 miles from home. If anybody wants to run let me know. Looks like lots of fun.

Starts at Oskar Blues ranch and goes thru DuPont Forest.

Sandy-2

Yesterday I ended up taking an URD, afternoon/evening thunderstorms rolled in. Actually I think 2 days off in a row helped my foot a bit.  This morning (Wed) I actually got up and did 5 mi, a sweaty mess, but felt good afterwards.  Nothing "fun" to report today.

Mr. Jamie, thanks for the nice comment yesterday, the foot is like a speed/distance governor at the moment, but I do feel it's on the mend.  I'll also add to your political rant....  if he is elected he's gonna have to add a new fully staffed Cabinet Position...."Department of Trying to Fix up the Stupid Shit He Says".  (Actually it's surprising that there isn't such a position since "W" years in office).

qotd: typical base for me is 40 to 45 mpw, which includes Mon and Fri off.

tbd.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Yesterday I ended up taking an URD, afternoon/evening thunderstorms rolled in. Actually I think 2 days off in a row helped my foot a bit.  This morning (Wed) I actually got up and did 5 mi, a sweaty mess, but felt good afterwards.  Nothing "fun" to report today.

Mr. Jamie, thanks for the nice comment yesterday, the foot is like a speed/distance governor at the moment, but I do feel it's on the mend.  I'll also add to your political rant....  if he is elected he's gonna have to add a new fully staffed Cabinet Position...."Department of Trying to Fix up the Stupid Shit He Says".  (Actually it's surprising that there isn't such a position since "W" years in office).

I think when things got serious for him running for president (when they actually thought he had a chance to beat the other Republican scrubs), many on his team were scrambling and trying to figure how they would deal with the stuff he said (and the aftermath) BUT then it seemed as if that is why so many people like him - he says what is on his mind.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

I think when things got serious for him running for president (when they actually thought he had a chance to beat the other Republican scrubs), many on his team were scrambling and trying to figure how they would deal with the stuff he said (and the aftermath) BUT then it seemed as if that is why so many people like him - he says what is on his mind.

Watch a real politician give a speech. They don't talk from a few notes. It's carefully scripted and delivered. Most of our successful politicians have studied public speaking extensively. They employ speech writers who craft the speech and vet almost every word. The politician then just has to read it and deliver it in a way that appeals to their base. That's why they say one thing and do something else. The speech was just for show. And we fall for it. Time after time which is why we elect the idiots that we do.

Now contrast that with how a business meeting might go.  A few basic notes to highlight topics then ideas are kicked around. Sometimes it's a pleasant, easy going session, sometimes it's gets pretty ugly. In the end something gets hammered out.  But it doesn't follow a strict script or if it does that company will end up in trouble sooner or later because of lack of ideas.  Often times the most aggressive person in the room gets their ideas advanced.

Now look at the two candidates. One is a lifelong politician who is skilled at speaking, will say one thing and do another.  She is mainly concerned with manipulating people through speech, just like most politicians. The other is a headstrong business person who will say what's on his mind and will become very verbal to advance his ideas.  He is a person who will call it as he sees it.

This is why I wish Biden would have run. I think he would have taken the nomination and he has a tendency to say what's on his mind. That could have led to some really interesting debates .

One final thought. How would Trump differ from Mark Cuban when on the campaign trail?  Cuban is considered by many people to be a jerk as well but he is also a successful business person.  I suspect many people would find him unpalatable as well.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

25 minute tempo run with warm up and cool down. Haven't felt that good on a run in a while.

QOTD: I'd like to maintain a base of 35-40 mpw which I did manage a couple years ago but fell short last year and looks like I will this year too.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.