Trailer Trash

Terrible weather tuesday (Read 33 times)

runtraildc

Well, not so much here, thankfully.  And I think the 'biblical' storm is not panning out to be quite as biblical in many parts, which is a good thing.    For me, I'll get out for 4 tempo miles this afternoon, once I get the house service calls out of the way.  One down, one more to go.

QOTD:  What's the worst weather event you've experienced?   Lots of storms,on land and at sea, snow & hurricanes alike, but one drive thru a MN blizzard really stands out as the scariest.  White out conditions, black ice and bitter cold along farm roads in central MN.  If we'd gone off the roads,  we wouldn't have been found for a while.

LB2

Probably 7 after work, maybe only five. I can't find my damned phone this morning, and it has totally screwed up my day. Shit!!

QOTD: I have experienced just about every type of weather from hurricanes, tornadoes, typhoons, blizzards, flash floods, lightning storms, etc. I don't know which would be worst, but I guess I would have to say a hurricane. With most hurricanes I have dealt with, you get some pretty bad squall lines that you think are the main storm even though you know it isn't. You think, "How much worse can it get?". Then, it gets worse, and they sometimes linger for days. Then, the mugginess that comes behind them is pretty much unbearable. Specifically, Katrina was, by far, the worst one I have ever experienced.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Good morning! I meant to get out for a short run last night to shake the legs out.  Ended up running a little over 5 because I was having so much fun.  There was an inch or two of fresh snow on the ground and the sky was spitting snow.  I more or less ran the middle of the roads and had them to myself.  Ran a bit at a park up and down a short trail.  Coming back up I noticed a figure in the middle of the trail staring at me (at least that is what I thought).  I got closer and closer and realized it was definitely something in the middle of the trail and not a tree I imagined was a person.  Finally the figure moved and I saw it was a deer whose body was behind it so all I saw was the front.  But it was the biggest deer I have ever seen.  I swear it was as tall as I am.  Probably taking today off.

QOTD: Growing up in New England, we had our fair share of big snow events measured in how many feet we got.  After my dad would plow the driveway, we would have 10-12 foot high snow banks.  As a kid, it was great.  I remember some nasty ice storms that covered everything in think ice - created havoc.  I remember a hurricane one year that was not fun.  No tornado's.  That would probably scare me the most.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

NorthernHarrier

Got in 11 miles in a lake effect snowstorm yesterday. A little wet and cold by the time I finished. Looked at a couple radar sites and it showed clear sky's yet it was a whiteout. Good stuff. Then had a bad drive home as I hit bad reezing rain around Wausau. I go from being one of the fastest cars on the road to one of the slowest in bad weather. People are nuts!

QOTD--I'm old and can't remember.  Probably a solo canoe trip on a lake/river system in NW Ontario. Only a pilot new to pick me up at a certain point at a specific time. Was going thru a huge lake in semi-placid conditions when the wind came up and within just a couple minutes it was perilous. I barely made it to a 10' by 10' rock island and sat there for 32 hours as this thing raged. My outlet bay was maybe a half mile away and if I could just have gotten back into the river I would have been fine.  I stayed patient despite several times wanting to make a go for the river.

sugnim

Good morning all. I had a nice little 4 mile run under dark and stary skies this morning. No storms here, though we could probably use some more snowpack in the mountains.

QOTD:  I remember driving through a dust storm when I was a child. We were on our way from CA to VA and I believe we were in TX at the time. My teenaged sister was driving, and we couldn't see out of any of the windows. I was very scared, but for some reason my Mom thought it would be better to keep driving than to pull over. I still remember the song that was breaking in and out on the car radio: I Got a Feeling Somebody's Watching Me.

As an adult, the worst was a blizzard last winter that piled up snow about 4 feet in our driveway. I walked to work in blinding, blowing snow because there was no way to drive in that. It took a few days for me to dig us out, but our street was impassable for about 2 weeks after that, at least in our little car. (I'm still waiting on the standard issue Subaru 4wd I've heard about )

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Schools closed again today, and we have more than a foot of new snow. Together with the snow from previous storms, it is piling up to 16+ inches in places. The soft fluff is a joy, but hard to run or even just walk in!

My boys built an igloo yesterday, with windows, and even a side entrance.    I did not know they were such talented architects. They stayed outside in 17-degree weather, with the snow storming, for several hours just to get it done - I think they inherited some of their Mom's genes...

QOTD: Hard to say. With winter weather, it might have been the weeks-long snowstorm in Austria in 2006. DH, our older children, and I went there for a ski vacation. They had the snow pile up 6 feet and higher. It was cold, temps always below freezing, sometimes into the single digits. Getting around was difficult. In the village where we stayed, the sidewalks had been turned into hallways with 7+ feet high walls on the side facing the road, which made it difficult to cross roads to get to where you needed to. There was a constant threat of avalanches coming down from roofs, or from the mountains. Driving was possible only with chains on the wheels - we had rented a full-size van, so putting on those chains was a challenge in itself. We did not take off the chains during that whole week.

Luckily, we had a wonderful set of rooms in a little B&B, which made the stay a memorable, but fairly pleasant experience.

Run for fun.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The cold and wind chill, not the snow, will probably keep me inside today.

QOTD: Several winter storms come to mind. I was caught in the Jan 1969 that dumped 29" of snow on Chicago trying to drive home for semester break. I only made it halfway before I had to hold up for 3 days in Kankakee. Then there was a bad storm, I think it was Dec 1973, in CT. After visiting some friends I went to drive home only to find my car frozen to the pavement. After getting it broken free, the tires were frozen with a flat spot where they had been frozen to the ground. Parents were calling students to tell them to stay at school if they could because much of the state was without power for as long as 3 days. As far as hurricanes, I managed to keep just ahead of both Agnes in 1972 and Sandy in 2012 driving home from vacations. At least the worst of those didn't hit until after I was snug at home.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

Saw a funny picture for "Real Weather".  It said 0-100% chance of 0-24" of snow.  That's a bout right.  NY was closed down for waht ended in 8-10" of snow, WTF.

We got about 10" and now heading out for an easy run on the road.  Legs are sore from my long run on the road.

QOTD:   The scariest moment was in a whiteout while skiing.  2 friends and I were doing some mid-week skiing on the North Face at at 7 Springs.  Turned into a blizzard and the wind kicked up and we were totally blinded.  We yelled and yelled for each other and finally hooked up after several frantic minutes.  We held poles to make our way slowly down the slope and I bumped into a lift tower that I never saw coming.  We started to hear music from the ski lift and made our way over.  They closed the mountain so we went to the bar.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

(I'm still waiting on the standard issue Subaru 4wd I've heard about )

It is all wheel drive all the time. On my way to work, I see a Subaru Outback for sale.  I actually want to stop and look at it. I would love to have one. In fact, you cross my mind every time I see it.

LB2

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It is all wheel drive all the time. On my way to work, I see a Subaru Outback for sale.  I actually want to stop and look at it. I would love to have one. In fact, you cross my mind every time I see it.

I love my 1998 Legacy wagon. I bought it new and it's been a good, reliable car for me. Have about 147K on it.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Watoni

Not terrible weather here .... need some weather.

Going to try for a few in the redwoods at lunch or during a break from work if time allows.

QOTD: White out in the Austrian alps. Took us a good hour to find the way down. They have posts on unprepared routes to keep you on track and we lost them. I hiked back up until I found a post, then reconnected with my sister and brother-in-law, who were none too pleased.

NorthernHarrier

I love my 1998 Legacy wagon. I bought it new and it's been a good, reliable car for me. Have about 147K on it.

My first Outback I bought new and put 280k on it. Replaced with a 2013 Outback that is outstanding. The other car we have is a 2014 Subaru Cross-trek which I am trying to pry loose from my wife as I really like that car.

some call me Tim

Just a few inches of powder here and another SRD... finally done hobbling this afternoon, but the peroneals on both feet got smoked on Saturday and are slowly returning to normal.

qotd: Probably the mid-fall ice storm we had here 7 years ago. My wife was pregnant with our first, we were living in this little house and all the leaves were still on the trees. Couple hours of ice and it was raining tree branches. I was drinking scotch in the little addition in the back when a huge branch came crashing down on the roof, causing one of the windows to blow inward, spraying glass everywhere. That's how I found out that my late great uncle (who built the addition) had neglected to put headers above the windows. Anyway, there were power lines down everywhere and inches of ice on everything. It was pretty cool.

moonlightrunner

Probably no run tonight. Long days at work suck. I have 3 more weeks of it.

Qotd: I am plagued with a terrible memory. There have been big snowstorms, but that involved being home and it happened over the course of hours. About 5 years ago there were tornado warnings so I of course decided I needed to drive to my parents' house. Driving rain and trees and power lines were coming down all around. We had 100 mile straight line winds. No tornado. It was very scary.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

AT-runner

Tim

Our first Outback went to Oregon with DD#1 and is driving well at 180,000.  My current Outback had 20,000 on it and it's 10 months old.

George - I remember Agnes very well.  We lost 3 trees in the back and one took out the family above-ground pool.  That was the first time I ever saw my Dad look worried.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!