Trailer Trash

insect repellants (Read 46 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

What do you prefer and what really works....well?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Gator eye

Anything as long as it has plenty of deet

Although I have notice when I go out of my way to eat large amounts of garlic the bug still swarm me but seem to be less likely to bite.

I ve tried drier sheets, thermocells, and skin friendly bug sprays without much luck.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Reason I ask is that I noticed a post on the FB trail and ultrarunning page, said deet doesn't work. I have the sports spray with 40% deet.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

LB2

I have been using Off Cutter (I think that is the name of it) for the past month or so while running because we had some at the house. It works pretty good. But I use lots of Deep Woods Off during turkey season. I hunt a lot in river swamps, and it works very well for mosquitoes. However, the best thing I have ever used for mosquitoes is a Thermacell. The problem is carrying it around if you are running. Of course, horseflies and deer flies are my only issues while running. I don't know if it works on them because I never see them in late March through April around here. They get bad around the middle of May.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I use Repel max lotion (hard to find, but walmart carries it) with 40% DEET. I apply it after the sunscreen lotion. It works very well for keeping flies, gnats, mosquitoes and ticks from biting. Also deer flies. I apply it before the run, and it lasts for several hours, even through sweat and rain. I re-apply only on runs lasting longer than 6 hours. For keeping gnats out of my eyes and face, I found a visor or baseball cap work best. Deer flies are just a pest, and only hard tempo sessions over at least two miles seem to get them away.

Run for fun.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I will have to look for that.

I use Repel max lotion (hard to find, but walmart carries it) with 40% DEET. I apply it after the sunscreen lotion. It works very well for keeping flies, gnats, mosquitoes and ticks from biting. Also deer flies. I apply it before the run, and it lasts for several hours, even through sweat and rain. I re-apply only on runs lasting longer than 6 hours. For keeping gnats out of my eyes and face, I found a visor or baseball cap work best. Deer flies are just a pest, and only hard tempo sessions over at least two miles seem to get them away.

PRs

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I just purchased some OFF Deep Woods that are in the form of wipes.  I haven't tried them yet, but I threw a couple packets in my running bag and stashed a few in my pack.  If they work it will be a really convenient way of carrying a small quantity of repellent with you.

**Ask me about streaking**

XtremeTaper

The deerflies and I have come to an agreement. They land on my head and bite me. I smash em' dead. We do repeats like this all summer long.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NorthernHarrier

I walk around during the summer smelling like Deep Woods Off. In my unscientific study of one that is the best. A super high percentage of deet is really no more effective than staying in the 25%-30% range. You need the inert ingredients to help carry the spray to get a good application. I figure to deal with the skeeters and black flies now and the cancer hopefully when I'm even older and more feeble than I am now.  For deer flies I just spray up as usual and then wear a hat that has the rear apron. Using a bandana under a cap can work the same. You could use an old crappy cap and actually safety pin a couple short strips of sticky fly paper to the top to collect a bunch. That can be pretty fun.

There is nowhere in this country that can match northern Wi., northern Mn., and Uppper MI. when it comes to mosquitoes. And I spend an awful lot of outdoor time there so I am confident in my research.     LOL!   I also don't think a lot of you guys get to have the fun that a May black fly hatch can bring. Pretty sure that is just a north country/lake country deal.  And they don't look like a house fly or stable fly. Picture swarms of stealth little gnats around your head especially active on sunny days and at dusk. Great fun on my early Canadian canoe trips.

Repel isn't bad but I had the misfortune of having a container leak on a bunch of stuff once. The results and damage that stuff caused gave me a little pause as to ever applying that stuff to my skin.

All that said I have to mention if you read on a FB page that deet is ineffective, well there you have it. Must be true.

AT-runner

Tim

Who was it that had the picture on RWOL of the hat with fly paper loaded with flies on it?

I use Deep Woods Off as well.  I spray my hat, socks and pack with a very strong layer.  Seems to work well most of the time, unless it's a very still day.  Some say it doesn't work as well on clothing as skin, but I haven't noticed that.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

There is nowhere in this country that can match northern Wi., northern Mn., and Uppper MI. when it comes to mosquitoes. And I spend an awful lot of outdoor time there so I am confident in my research.     LOL!   I also don't think a lot of you guys get to have the fun that a May black fly hatch can bring. Pretty sure that is just a north country/lake country deal.  And they don't look like a house fly or stable fly. Picture swarms of stealth little gnats around your head especially active on sunny days and at dusk. Great fun on my early Canadian canoe trips.

Are you challenging Alaska mosquitoes and black flies? Wink  Black flies in June in Adirondacks are also worth mentioning.  But the Alaska black flies at the right time are so dense, it's difficult to eat a sandwich without getting some extra protein. You can try sneaking under a head net, but some of the NPS folks I did field work with had a tent for lunch breaks. Alaska mosquitoes tend to be big, but can be slow some times.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                        NorthernHarrier

Yeah, pretty sure Alaska would easily take the crown for black flies. Alaska's black flies are legendary. I think the peeps in Maine would also want a portion of that crown too.  I'm having flashbacks to eating at camps wearing a headnet and trying to slip bites in under the net. Pant legs tucked into my boots, gloves, long sleeve shirts and every clothing opening tightened down. Sometimes you never feel them gnawing on you but just have dried blood.   Up at my shack the really late spring has messed up the fly hatch. Went right into hordes of skeeters when usually it starts with black flies then skeeters and then deer flies.  So I hold out hope that it was a poor hatch but then again it could be next week.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

AT: I think it was RunsWithWolves (Tracy)?

Alaska is a great place for mosquitoes, I have some fond memories.

Harrier: I am using the lotion, and so far, no damage when I accidentally got it on my shorts, shirt, sunglasses or hat. But, it might be a matter of amount, or the spray/spray lotion have something else in them that causes the damage.

I don't think we'll have to deal with cancer later. Ultra running will have ruined our hearts by then, so that should be taken care of.

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

I use anything with deet, preferably 20% or greater. Seems to work for me.

Some where I have a picture from when we were in Alaska on the Dalton Highway. The back of our pick up was covered in a light tan mud and there were literally several hundred mosquitoes sitting on the back window of the cap. With the light colored background it was easy to get a good shot. The air was just full of them. Amazingly we didn't get bit at all. Someone told me that only the females bite and at that particular time the males and females were separated for some reason that I don't remember. I think it had to do with laying eggs or something else in the breeding cycle.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Not saying it must be true, but I was saying about 20 people came on there stating the crap doesn't work for them. It doesn't work for me either, I've covered myself in it, even my son at risk of him hacking and mosquitoes still bite us along with ticks.

I'm thinking about buying this Repel Permethrin clothing & gear insect repellent for the shoes, it says it can last up to 2 weeks on clothing but I just don't see how that is possible if you wash your clothes.

I walk around during the summer smelling like Deep Woods Off. In my unscientific study of one that is the best. A super high percentage of deet is really no more effective than staying in the 25%-30% range. You need the inert ingredients to help carry the spray to get a good application. I figure to deal with the skeeters and black flies now and the cancer hopefully when I'm even older and more feeble than I am now.  For deer flies I just spray up as usual and then wear a hat that has the rear apron. Using a bandana under a cap can work the same. You could use an old crappy cap and actually safety pin a couple short strips of sticky fly paper to the top to collect a bunch. That can be pretty fun.

Repel isn't bad but I had the misfortune of having a container leak on a bunch of stuff once. The results and damage that stuff caused gave me a little pause as to ever applying that stuff to my skin.

All that said I have to mention if you read on a FB page that deet is ineffective, well there you have it. Must be true.

PRs