Trailer Trash

Genes: destiny vs. predisposition (Read 44 times)

Birdwell

Found an interesting article at runnersworld.com  (I know, I know)

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/new-book-offers-latest-science-on-nature-vs-nurture-debate

It's an interview with David Epstein of Sports Illustrated, about his new book "The Sports Gene", after reading the interview, I may need to get this book.

I particularly liked this part

What would you say is the most common misunderstanding about how genetics can influence distance running success?
    DE:
     Among laypeople, I think the biggest misconception is that genes are destiny as opposed to predisposition. The vast majority of genes now, it looks like, just shape your biological predisposition. They aren't certain destiny. Now, that's not true in every case. The genes that give you ten fingers and all the brain chemicals you have and your organs—those are pretty deterministic. But that's the vast minority of traits. Most other traits, genes work in broad networks. They depend on one another and don't crowd out human agency or free will.
    But it might mean that you need to manipulate your environment in different ways. Somebody will have, for example, a gene that predisposes them to having brain damage if they get hit in the head. You see this with NFL players. And that doesn't mean that person is going to have brain damage for sure; it means they'd have to manipulate their environment to get hit in the head less if they want to be on equal footing with everybody else. And that's for the vast majority of genes.
    When the human genome was first sequenced, scientists did think they would find more single genes that would say "you're like this," or "you're like that." But what's emerging is that genes push you this way or that way, but you have to interact with your environment to have some outcome. Every week I see news wire stories about a new gene being found. It's like: "The Alcoholism Gene," or "The Lazy Gene," or "The Angry Gene." And that sort of language I think is really counterproductive because it make it seems like you can't do anything about it, and that's not the case.

Messenjah

Who is this "Gene" and why does he have so many  terms...."Sports Gene"....."Alcoholism Gene"......."Lazy Gene"......."Angry Gene". Maybe he should get out on the trails more often Smile

Sorry for the stupid humor....post "IPA Day" brain Big grin

NorthernHarrier

Interesting though in my simple mind I still blame my parents. Big grin

SillyC

Thanks for that, Birdwell!

He really gives an excellent explanation!  I may have to get that book as well.

Brian Runner

It seems to me that he isn't actually saying anything at all. Destiny as opposed to predisposition. Regardless of what you call it he's still saying you need to have the favorable genes should you choose to use them

I have the free will to want to be an elite runner.  My genes don‘t seem to care what I want or how hard I train. My genes have decided that I should be an average mortal.

NorthernHarrier

It seems to me that he isn't actually saying anything at all. Destiny as opposed to predisposition. Regardless of what you call it he's still saying you need to have the favorable genes should you choose to use them

I have the free will to want to be an elite runner.  My genes don‘t seem to care what I want or how hard I train. My genes have decided that I should be an average mortal.

+1000000    We have a winner.

My genes and my desire only got me to a certain point. That's it. People who say we only lack better training and inner fire are whacked. Where do you drawn the line? Some of us clearly should be running 20 minute 10k's

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

We all just aren't trying hard enough... Wink

Pre-disposition yes, destiny, no. But you can outrun your pre-disposition only that much.

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

blah blah blah

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Watoni

That just means Kilian has to train as opposed to moving to sea level at age 10 and developing a pork rind and video game habit

He had it in him to be Kilian, I don't