Trailer Trash

Tips for winter snow running (Read 287 times)

Watoni

Hello! My family will be in Tahoe this weekend, and there has been (and may continue to be) quite a bit of snow around.

On the other hand, folks who live in snowy climes (Lace, Anton) apparently run snowy trails often.

Any thoughts on what to bring? I was going to bring running gloves, some long sleeve/long pants options and my most grippy shoes (La Sportiva X Country). Other thoughts?

We will be in Truckee with the kids in the Northstar ski program/tram. I am hoping there are trails near the resort.

sugnim

You might want some traction on your shoes, if there will be ice on the trails.  Something like this is what I use.  Other than that, remember to take a little smaller step, and go a little slower.  In my experience, running in snow uses muscles differently than running on dirt or roads does, and I'm generally pretty sore after the first few weeks of snowy weather.  Most importantly, have fun!

(Also, this will sound weird, but I have a theory about Tahoe.  Not really a theory; more of a paranoia.  Let me know if anyone in your group gets sick while visiting there.)

Watoni

Thank you! I am trying to get the La Sportiva kit for adding spikes into the lugs of something like C-Lites so they can be my winter runners.

Also, I am thinking about running snowshoes (Atlas?)

Birdwell

Gloves are a must. Make sure you layer up well also. It gets warmer than you'd expect pretty quickly. Wear wool socks, because your feet will get wet.

as far as traction goes, I try to stay in the fresher snow. I find that I avoid ice more easily by running in the powder,  but that's just me.

running in the snow is loud too, Especially if the top layer has frozen over a bit.  It's a little weird at first, but I enjoy the noise now.

Occasional Runner

I wear Atlas snowshoes and love them.

I don't do anything special when I run in snow and ice. I don't wear traction devices or add screws in my shoes. I switch to my Inov-8's because they have really aggressive tread and they're a bit warmer than my NB10's. I wear tights when it dips into the low 20's and I wear a short sleeve tech shirt with a long sleeve tech shirt over top of it. Even in really cold weather, I sometimes shed a layer. I also wear 2 pairs of gloves. A thin pair covered by a thicker pair. This allows me to shed a pair if I need to, but I almost never do. My hands suffer the most in cold weather.

Just pay a lot of attention to your footing and avoid the ice if possible. You'll be surprised by how little difference the snow makes in your run. I think people tend to over think it.

Have fun in Tahoe!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I am usually fine in winter socks (I use drymax winter trail socks, but smartwool or others are just as good) and don't use gaitors. Even if the shoes and socks get wet after a while, the feet stay warm as long as I'm moving along. And I pull the socks up over the tights to avoid snow getting in between socks and tights, or onto my skin.

You might keep an eye out for what the snow looks like and learn to figure out how slippery it is. Often the roads are much worse than the trails.

Stay off large rocks, they may be icy, or slippery with your wet shoes and/or traction aids.

Stay off any logs, walk on wooden bridges!!

On very steep trails, you may create "steps" in the snow with your shoes to climb up or down, and use your hands (that's when mittens come in handy).

I try to relax my hips with each step, especially when I have to lift my feet high up in deep, heavy snow.

Avoid running when the snow is glazed over with a layer of ice that is hard to break (a thin layer that breaks easily is fine, although it may hurt on the shins after a while). You can get seriously hurt if you slip on that kind of snow, and it may be very hard to get up again after a fall.

And when it is sunny and fairly warm, I run in just a long-sleeve shirt, tights, and mittens, no jacket, because the core gets warm very quickly, only the hands might get cold.

I have just regular hiking snowshoes, I am not sure if running snowshoes pay off if you don't use them that often.

Run for fun.

Watoni

Thank you all again!

I will layer up (I tend to get quite warm) and will either find some trails to run in my cleated shoes and/or hit the snowshoe trails!

Endurance Guy

Pain cave junkie

Or Jeff how about a fat bike?  Tahoe is perfect for off road fat biking.

jb

Thank you all again!

I will layer up (I tend to get quite warm) and will either find some trails to run in my cleated shoes and/or hit the snowshoe trails!

ultraendure.blogspot.com

valerienv

Thread killer ..

There is a a lot of snow up there right now  . If you want to come down to Reno there will be a run on Saturday @13 miles , it will be in the snow too just not as much . It's right off the 80 about 45 minutes from Northstar .

To add to technique, if you're wearing wind pants (as you might if snowshoe running), you can slide down the hills. Wink

Snow conditions can vary so much depending on so many factors. It can be hardpacked like a dirt trail. It can be water on top of ice (ok, not really snow). It can be a foot or more of fresh stuff.

I'll use anything from just my shoes on hardpacked snow to strap-on studs or screws on somewhat icy stuff to kahtoola microspikes for hill work if the snow is packed to running snowshoes on fresh stuff.

Check on trail rules. Some trails are multi-use. Some are groomed for skiers only. Some are groomed but are multi-use - either non-motorized or motorized and non-motorized combined. We've got some that are mushing only. The speeds of dog teams can be fast and they are quiet, so you don't hear them.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                      mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I always take my closest to retired shoes and screw short (3/8") sheet metal screws in, they last all winter and have never had one pull out

if it's really dangerous footing I use Microspikes, they pretty much blow away any competitor for pull on traction and they aren't too bad to run in

of course if there is really a lot of snow, snowshoes are the ticket Smile

also think about investing in a boot drier, I put them on after a run in the snow, the next morning they are dry and toasy

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

andrew.albright

Forgive the noob question. How do you get the screws into thee shoes and get them to stay there without pushing up into ones foot?

andrew.albright

Forgive the noob question. How do you get the screws into thee shoes and get them to stay there without pushing up into ones foot?

Birdwell

A drill, and short screws. Those appear to be #8 X 1/2" sheet metal screws, available at your local Home Depot or hardware store for about $6. They don't go all the way through the soles.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

A drill, and short screws. Those appear to be #8 X 1/2" sheet metal screws, available at your local Home Depot or hardware store for about $6. They don't go all the way through the soles.

yup-short screws, I use a drill w/ a 1/4" head driver- just go kinda of slow Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √