Trailer Trash

Headlamp Recommendations (Read 48 times)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

So I'm planning on an R3 in early October and I need a headlamp.  I'll be running down South Kaibab trail in the dark.  It is steep but but not technical but my eyesight sux azz.  I mean really sux azz.  My depth perception is sh/t because I really only see out of one eye.  So you can imagine I'd like something that works well for those first couple of hours in the dark.  I tend to steer away from night trail running simply because I have no desire to pick myself up out of a ravine after doing the trip and fall.  But there's no way around this.

Yes, once I buy the light I will practice some night trail running to get used to it.  I'd prefer not to break the bank of the purchase either.  Some where in the $50 range is my budget.

The Black Diamond Revolt seems to look pretty good and I like the idea of rechargable.

Other recommendations?

You people have issues 

Birdwell

So I'm planning on an R3 in early October and I need a headlamp.  I'll be running down South Kaibab trail in the dark.  It is steep but but not technical but my eyesight sux azz.  I mean really sux azz.  My depth perception is sh/t because I really only see out of one eye.  So you can imagine I'd like something that works well for those first couple of hours in the dark.  I tend to steer away from night trail running simply because I have no desire to pick myself up out of a ravine after doing the trip and fall.  But there's no way around this.

Yes, once I buy the light I will practice some night trail running to get used to it.  I'd prefer not to break the bank of the purchase either.  Some where in the $50 range is my budget.

The Black Diamond Revolt seems to look pretty good and I like the idea of rechargable.

Other recommendations?

You've already figured it out. The other nice things about the revolt are the dimmable main beam and the ability to put in standard AAA batteries should the rechargeable ones fail

I have some depth perception issues at night. I find that another lamp set on the chest strap of my pack or on a separate waist strap (or ever something handheld) really helps. It was very useful at the Canyon last year.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I use the Princeton Tech Viz. It is lightweight, has great light, and is typically $10 to $20 cheaper than the Diamond lights.

However, the battery life on high beam is just 2-3 hours, and if I was planning an R2R2R and investing in a new light anyway, and would want to afford it, I'd go for the Black Diamond ReVolt.

For depth perception, I use my son's bike light as a handheld in addition to the headlamp. It is small, waterproof, has enough light to function as a backup in case my headlamp fails, it's lightweight, and the battery life is great.

Run for fun.

Was going to suggest the Black Diamond spot.  It's just a little bit cheaper, and doesn't have the rechargable option.  It sounds like it's something you're not going to get a lot of use out of because of your night vision, so I'd save a little bit of money.  Another option for increased depth perception is to use a handheld with a broader beam.  For whatever reason, it seems that something more at waist level works better for me in those cases.  I had LASIK surgery 7 years ago, and have the same problem at night, not the best depth perception at times, especially if I'm tired.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

Gator eye

+1 on the black diamond plus a handheld light. The 2 lights at different angles really help to pick out the ground terrain.

LB2

+1 on the black diamond plus a handheld light. The 2 lights at different angles really help to pick out the ground terrain.

I was going to add this. I ran for a couple of years with the biggest piece of crap light you have ever seen. It was some cheapo that my father in law gave me instead of tossing it in the garbage. That light may have been good for looking under your hood to check a battery cable or something on your car, but it was not a good running light. It was not heavy, though. I did like that about it. I started using a handheld with it because I just got all these crazy shadows being cast, and although I am very comfortable in the woods at night alone, I would freak out at times because it looked like something was charging at me from the side of the trail. I now have a Black Diamond Storm, and I have no need for an extra handheld for vision. You could just about land a plane with that thing, but I still use a handheld along with it. I just feel like it helps my depth perception. That may be totally bogus, but it works for me. I like the Storm because it is supposed to be waterproof, and almost every event I participate seems to have rain associated with it at some point.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I like the Revolt, as Birdwell points the ability to charge and use AAA's is really nice- lithium AAA's rock in the cold

I also like to use lamps in tandem, one on my head and one near my waist- makes a huge difference in depth perception; the South Kaibab trail while not overly technical, it's steep, has a ton of steps and October there is always a chance of snow and/or ice- you definitely want to see well

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I too have the BD Storm.  The battery life is great.  It would easily give you what you need.  The storm is brighter than the revolt I believe.  The con is the weight.  I would not call it heavy but certainly not like some of the feather weights out there.  Sounds like you are looking more for the light than weight anyways.  Price is good too - right at $50 unless you can find a sale.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Weight was the issue with many headlamps for me, that's why I was so happy to have come across the Princeton Tech Vizz. It seems to be one of the lightest ones with a bright beam out there.

I've had neck injuries, so every ounce that I have to carry on my head counts.

Run for fun.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Thanks for the recommendations.

You people have issues 

Messenjah

I also have the BD Storm and LOVE it. Works really well in the cold and wet. The one drawback is switching batteries in the middle of the night is a pain because it does have the screw closure instead of a snap closure.

I too have the BD Storm.  The battery life is great.  It would easily give you what you need.  The storm is brighter than the revolt I believe.  The con is the weight.  I would not call it heavy but certainly not like some of the feather weights out there.  Sounds like you are looking more for the light than weight anyways.  Price is good too - right at $50 unless you can find a sale.