Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - February 2011 (Read 290 times)

Not much action around here still.  Hopefully, it picks up as winter subsides.

I'm in taper mode now for a trail marathon next weekend in the Marin Headlands, at the end of which I'm suppose to turn around and go back out for another 5 miles for an informal 50k.  I keep telling myself, "I will go back out.  I will go back out."  Hope it's not crappy weather. Blush

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

The GGTM looks tough! I did some of those trails a few weeks ago and it really hammered my legs. I'm planning to run Bolinas Ridge up there this weekend. 

MTA: There have been some mountain lions sighted in the Headlands in the last couple of weeks so make sure you carry cougar spray. OK, there's no such thing as cougar spray so just be careful.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Cougars? Great . . . .

I haven't run out there in a couple of years.  The initial climb out of the parking lot is a bitch and seems never ending.  And then I remember a section I affectionately called "a goat climb."  Straight up, lots of loose rock.

Be sure to report back on your run.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Pretty sure cougar spray is white zinfandel.  Wink

Big grin   . . . . . wait - doesn't that attract them?

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

True!! 

Cougars - something else that gets passed around!  Big grin

Cougars - something else that gets passed around!  Big grin

(cue rim shot . . . )  Hey Oh!!!!!!!  Big grin  

10 actual trail miles this a.m.  It reinforced that I need to get back to running in the Community Forest again, not only for the hill climbing, but for the downhill workout, as well.  I've lost a little bit of ability in that regard.

The Hub and his buddy are smoking tri-tips and cooking up burgers and dogs for the grand opening of a friend's butcher shop tomorrow.  Once the gas stove guy comes and gives me the thumbs up or the thumbs down, I gotta go help get things ready.  Then tomorrow I get to be the money taker.  Keeping fingers crossed it doesn't rain.

Enjoy the rest of your Saturday, peeps -

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

I am happy to report that I remain un-cougar-eaten. Ran 27.8 miles of the Miwok 100 course today, Pan Toll to the Randall Trail turnaround and back, if you're familiar. Well, that's probably the most beautiful run I've ever done. And mostly quite runnable, unlike the nasty section that fatozzig is running next week. It's also the longest non-race run I've ever done and I really enjoyed it. I feel a little bit less terrified about Miwok now.  A very little bit less.

Photos to follow. 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

I'm trying to remember which section was Pan Toll from when Kate did Headlands 100 two years ago.  Were you running through rolling hills?

PS - Glad you weren't cougar food.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm trying to remember which section was Pan Toll from when Kate did Headlands 100 two years ago.  Were you running through rolling hills?

PS - Glad you weren't cougar food.

Headlands 100 doesn't go that far north, it's east of Stinson Beach. Yes, rolling hills, a mix of doubletrack through the redwoods and singletrack through grassland above the coast. Spectacular!

There must've been a route change since 2008 as the runners were sent out to Pan Toll, then to Bolinas Ridge, and back to Pan Toll.  They only went out there once, during the day.

CA is in real financial trouble, and I know there have been partial and whole park closures.  It wouldn't surprise me if the state's closed part of the Marin Headlands.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

I guess so. The current course doesn't go past Muir Beach. I hope they don't close part of Marin Headlands, it's so beautiful and a lot of people were out there today enjoying it.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I loved running the Muir Beach Trail Run Fall 2009.  Lots of rolling hills ( = 800-1000 foot climbs) on very runnable trails.  VERY pretty.

We first hit the trail, winding through the hills. We had already climbed several hundred feet at this point. Up, down, up, down.

Turning around, looking back toward the start

Looking down on the ocean from the Coastal Trail

The Coastal Trail (on the second loop) winding through the hills and coves

A poor pic of a painful climb, straight up from Pirate's Cove

Looking back down from the stairs to Pirate's Cove

A bit later, this fence is maybe to keep me from falling?

They are serious about keeping me from falling

Eventually and with great effort you climb high enough that the protection from falling matters

Headed towards the Tennessee Valley aid station from the coast

Up from the aid station on the Marincello Road

Looking down down down onto Sausalito

Another shot down to the bay.

Looking back down the hill I just climbed

And then, finally up, it is back down towards Bonito Cove. Eventually.

A view coming over the ridge, about mile 7

A view of the city from the second aid station

Who is this goofball?

Another pic back at the city

The Rodeo lagoon

And then back up

Coming down the tallest hill, about mile 27

This is the tallest climb on the course, up Fox Road. 20% grade. For over a mile.

Finally up to the top

What goes up must go down

Another view along the coast

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yesterday's trail race was not nearly so dry and runnable...

Imminent Catastrophe

Nice pictures Trent, many of those places look familiar. Pirates Cove, Muir Beach, Fox Hill (we'll go DOWN that one about mile 56 at Miwok--ouch, ouch, ouch...), Coastal, Rodeo Lagoon. 

MTA: There seems to be a run of some sort about every weekend on those trails, Saturday I found myself in the middle of the Steep Ravine Trail Run, 7 miles to 50k.