Trail Runners

Neo Trail Runners Extreme Team-December (Read 462 times)

Ultrachick

WooHoo! I get to start the new thread! With a quote......(I think it's been done before but who cares? It's a good one) "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." T.S. Eliot Which is what I was just working on figuring out. Last year I ran 2392.3 miles-I should have been paying closer attention so get to 2400. Oh well. This is only significant to me because here it is Dec 1, 2008 and I just crossed the 2500 mile mark for this year and I still have 30 days to go! I've been averaging 40 miles or so a week so I should easily get to 2600 miles for the year! I hope everyone had a fabulous holiday. I did. I ate too much but who didn't? I need to go get my run done soon and unfortunately I might have to wear shorts because it's almost 50 degrees out. This is bad because I'm in VT and the ski areas are open-this warm weather doesn't help them and also because I'm ready for a white Christmas and winter. Kitrin-yes, I wasn't paying close attention to how you wrote your race dates. I think you have plenty of time in between them and should go for all of them! And where's Greg? Did he break his streak? I hope nothing bad has happened. Leslie-good job on the last long run-you're in fine shape for your next event. See ya! Kelly
    If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
      Yo, I'm here. Glad to feel needed. I stopped running for a few weeks. My counseling organization had it's annual teaching conference and all my colleagues were speaking, including my wife. Made me feel stupid for running so much again. Same thing happened last year. Wondering if I can really afford 1hr a day to running, plus the 4hour long run on Saturdays. I can't seem to get away from the woods though. They draw me. I've run 1 run, 4 miles on Friday. I will do another tonight. I did Crossfit and lifted for the last three weeks and gained 10 lbs. Back to 180 again. I broke my streak at 34 days I think. Not sure if I'll do that again, but I think I may start running again. Motivation is low right now. I'm just going to run a bit, bodyweight exercises too for overall fitness. Missed y'all. Happy holidays. Smile

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

. . . because here it is Dec 1, 2008 and I just crossed the 2500 mile mark for this year and I still have 30 days to go! I've been averaging 40 miles or so a week so I should easily get to 2600 miles for the year!
        CONGRATULATIONS!!! Here's to a total of 2600! Thanks for the kudos on the long run. Unfortunately, just found out that some of the mileages was given for certain combinations of trails was short - by about 3 miles. So basically every long run has probably been short by 2.5 to 3 miles. Grrrr! Evil grin I knew I should've trusted my own instincts. Next time, I don't care what anyone says, I'll do my own calculations. But I have to believe that all the hill work I've been doing will pay off this coming weekend, despite the lower mileage. Greg - Didn't we go through this with you last year?? I think you get da winter blues, dude. Don't let them derail you. On an up note - somehow, some way, I lost 4 pounds over the weekend. Go figure! I didn't stuff myself, but I also had an "Eh! If I want it, I'll eat it" attitude and have put away almost an entire berry pie by myself (I'll down the last little piece tonight). Maybe it's the whipped cream!! Yeah! That's the ticket!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Way to go Kelly! Who knows, maybe someday I will be up there with numbers like those. Thank you for the advice. I think I can do all of them if I do not "race" Cross Timbers. From what I hear, it is a tough course and weather is a total unknown. I ate too much over the holidays, but I did not go overboard. I am considering it a small victory. Still, I am finding it difficult to keep my running schedule with projects due for school and travel to and fro. Today and tomorrow I am in Houston visiting the Hubby, but without a vehicle. I guess I will be on the treadmill at the hotel, YUK! I spent Saturday night in a police car in Midwest City, OK with one of my brother-in-law's coworkers (he is a cop) doing a "ride along." They responded to shots fired, a vehicle burglary in progress (and grid search for suspects), and found drugs in the van that was our final traffic stop (driving with a flat tire) at 3:30am. Quite a busy night considering temperatures were in the 30s with 20+ mph winds. Usually cold weather makes for a quieter night. Boy, those cops drive FAST when responding. LOTS of fun! I found the Garmin 305 for $150 at Amazon today on a cyberMonday sale and put in an order. SWEET! I can't wait to be a techno-running geek. Greg, sounds like you have a little OCD like me. Hang in there. It is difficult to maintain anything over the holidays. Everything will settle down in about 4 weeks and then you can pick up again. Right now, set small goals each week and the time will fly by. Leslie, good luck in the upcoming race! I know you are ready and you will deserve a little break afterward. Oldguy Dan, hope you had a great weekend. Kitrin

Ultrachick

Yo, I'm here. Glad to feel needed. I stopped running for a few weeks. My counseling organization had it's annual teaching conference and all my colleagues were speaking, including my wife. Made me feel stupid for running so much again. Same thing happened last year. Wondering if I can really afford 1hr a day to running, plus the 4hour long run on Saturdays. I can't seem to get away from the woods though. They draw me. I've run 1 run, 4 miles on Friday. I will do another tonight. I did Crossfit and lifted for the last three weeks and gained 10 lbs. Back to 180 again. I broke my streak at 34 days I think. Not sure if I'll do that again, but I think I may start running again. Motivation is low right now. I'm just going to run a bit, bodyweight exercises too for overall fitness. Missed y'all. Happy holidays. Smile
            Who or what made you feel stupid? and why did you let them or it? You're a counselor, right? You should know better. I firmly believe you have to take care of yourself first before you can take care of anyone else-your wife, kids, patients etc. You can afford an hour to put yourself first and do what makes you happy-you'll be a better husband/dad/person for it. So I'm guessing the weight you've put on is from lifting again which some exercise is better than none, are you an emotional eater too? cookies make me feel better and then I believe you're a scotch person as well. Greg, get back out there into the woods and run. Running is now a part of who you are-you decide how big a part of you it is, not other people. That's my tough love speech. One of the reasons I left my ex-husband was because he didn't support my running. My races (5K-10K) conflicted with his tee-times. He also didn't care for the new friends I was making and wanted to be with. We had our fair share of other issues but his lack of athletic lifestyle certainly played a part. Follow your heart Greg-life is too short to not make everyday the best it can be. I would normally follow this up with some joke but I'm not going to tonight because I'm serious-now go get dressed and get out there! Kelly
            If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
              Weight gain-more wine than scotch this month Wink. I had gotten pretty lean and muscular at 170. I would guess maybe 1-2 pounds of that 10 is muscle, as you can rebuild more quickly once you've had it and lost it than building it the first time. To the real weight of the matter: my priorities. Noboby made me feel stupid. Seeing my collegues work as a result of their priorities vs. mine just highlights the difference in priorities between them and me. They are Christian counselors, speakers, authors, and professors; leaders and pioneers in the field of biblical counseling and respected the world over. Literally. They travel to India and Korea and all over this country to speak. They teach at some of the top seminaries in the country. All of that really only means they are investing in what is most important-people. All of this is predicated on a Christian worldview, as is my view of human nature. I believe there is nothing more important than serving the Lord and loving others. My problem is that running competes with that allegiance and vies for the use of my time, imagination, and energies. The glory of trail running and all it's awesomeness captures me when it shouldn't. It's supposed to be a hobby that leads me to worship when I see reflected beauty there. My problem is that it starts to consume me. This is true for many of my hobbies, as well as things like being entertained, comfort, and being respected and liked. These things tend to dictate my emotional responses and the direction of my life instead of allegiance to the kingdom and the work involved there. My problem is I believe I am a runner, where the truth is that no activity is meant to define who I am. All of the above says really is that we are all worshipers, it's just a matter of who or what we serve. When I serve me, my life gets screwed up. When I trust God and serve Him, my life is in balance. It's about keeping first things first, and that is where my problem is. Part of being a good servant is keeping the vehicle in good working order. How to do that and balance it with all my other important priorities is the struggle for me. Lifting? Running? Calisthenics? Combo thereof? I need to be healthy to serve others, but that health is first off a spiritual one that needs to be nurtured through study, prayer, communion, and fellowship with other wise people. Exercise, proper eating, and enough sleep come after that. I get those two backwards and my exercise, eating, etc.. crowds out the others, not to mention writing and speaking, due to my first allegiances getting swapped in my heart. A human's motivation can be a complex thing. I know myself fairly well and can aid others in that regard too. Howevr, my struggle displays the truth that insight is not change. Change is change. Who or what you love and serve dictates what you say, feel, think, and do. That deeper struggle is the one I need help with, as do all of us. All of life is really a glory war. What glory will capture the affections of your heart? What dream, desire, activity, purpose, identity? It's good for me to quit running for a spell as it breaks that allegiance. I think I'm going to run today for some miles in the woods and get back on the training wagon. I'm only going to do so though as I organize everything else in my life as first priorities. If my running has to take a backseat to studying, preparing to speak, or helping a friend in need, then it will have to do so. Sorry for the ramble. Just spilling my thoughts. Thanks for the encouragement.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Ran 4.5 miles in the woods. Beautiful out. No ipod. Cool (41 degrees), breezy. Scared up a handful of deer and a fox ran out onto the trail about 30yd's in front of me. Immersed myself in the experience. Ran comfortably keeping hr under 140, averaged 12:20/mile. Feeling great. I'll have to give an hour of that time back to my boss later today. From getting up from my desk to go to sitting back down here now took 2hours.

Hi Greg - Taking into account Kelly's comments, as well as your follow up comments, I hope what I have to say makes sense somehow. I agree with much of your spiritual outlook, and it made me smile to read your comments. However, I think that sometimes we have to take a step back when seeing the way others are serving God to ask whether or not that is the manner in which He wants us to serve, as well. God calls some people to go to special and far away places, but He also needs those people who are willing to serve close to home and take on the small, but very important, tasks. I also fully believe that He desires that we take care of ourselves, as well, so that we are able to do His service. In my heart of hearts, I don't believe that He would not in any way, shape, or form, begrudge you the time you spend running, lifting, or whatever form of exercise you choose. He gave you the gift of running. Why would he want you to waste that gift? Whether you run for an hour, half an hour, or whatever, you have to take time for yourself - we all do - in order to be of benefit to others. If you're interested, check out this web site I found: http://www.faithandhealthconnection.org/weekly-health-scripture-ephesians-314-20-power-to-change-behavior/ and http://www.blogcatalog.com/blogs/faith-and-health-connection-weekly-scripture-post/posts/tag/weekly%20health%20scripture/. Might help you get some more perspective. I'm glad you got out and ran. Just through your posts, you sound so much happier and less weighted down (mentally and emotionally) when you run. Take care ~

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Carl A

Greg, I don't post on these forums much because I have trouble keeping up after a few days of posting, but it sounds like you're fighting the good fight. Although you and I are following slightly different spiritual paths, I admire your courage and dedication. Also, nice run description!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Greg, I would love to have a long conversation with you about all the topics you raised. However, this forum is about running and I do not want to throw it off track. I will simply say that I agree with you and fight those same "loyalty" struggles in my own life. I also want to thank you for what you do because I learned much and improved my life immeasurably when I spent several months working with a Christian counselor some years ago. I will leave you with my favorite trite saying that is a response to my continuing recovery from perfectionism: Moderation in all things, including moderation. All my best, Kitrin
                        Hye guys, I wanted to respond to let you know I wasn't ignoring y'all! I'm just still thinking about all of this. I appreciate the links Leslie. I consider my whole life a gift and one to be handled carefully and toward the proper ends. I willingly gave up surfing, which was huge for me, to come to Philadelphia. I was commited to never leaving the coast and had to let that go to come up here and go to seminary. It was a great decision. I got a great education, met some of the wisest people I have ever met, and got married and adopted 4 kids, all of which would have never happened had I stayed down in Florida to surf, or stayed on the coast. I'm still looking at all my oportunities, gifts, talents, interests, and abilities in trying to decide where to go from here in my life. Running is a small part of that picture. I've determined I'll probably keep running daily if I can thanks to Van Aaken's Method, the book. The good doc convinced me increased oxygen intake is the best thing we can do for our bodies over against muscle development. He was dead on back in the 40's with his theories. I googled 'Oygen the key to health' and was amazed to see the results. Lots of gobblygook stuff holistic people are trying to sell, but interesting research in there as well. The good doc hypothesized back in the 40's that oxygen deprivation to the cell could lead to cancer development and that increase oxygen delivery to the cells might inhibit cancer, and he was right! I'm giving him a green light on the rest as that piece of his proposal was the iffiest (sp?) in the book for me. If he got that one right, he's got the rest right. So, I'll run and get small and body image be damned (to a degree). I've always feared looking like a runner, as I've always admired being (and looking) muscular and STRONG (insecurities, I know). Man I get rolling on these things! Sorry to take us so far afield in our discussions. This is a running board afterall. If any of y'all want to talk more about matters of faith and faith lived out, email me. I think it's in my profile and if it's not linked to my avatar I'll fix that. Ran same route yesterday, and had a blast. Will do it again today. 4.5 miles.

Hi, Greg. My opinion of this thread - Our lives are not singular, therefore, we can't really expect our topics in here to be singular. We're here to support each other in all ways, not just with running. And on that note - Had the pee waddlin' ole crappola scared out of me this a.m., one of the few times I didn't have my pepper spray with me. Shocked There I am, barely 5 minutes into my run, it's dark, I'm minding my own business. I look across the road to a house with its carport lights on, the door open, and this mutt dog is standing in the doorway looking into the house. Next thing I know, he's flying across the road toward me, growling and snarling the whole way! I'm yelling, "NO!" as loudly and firmly as I can, and the little %^*&#* keeps coming at me. He's at my ankles literally growling and snarling like he's gonna take a chunk out of me, and keeps moving left and right, and I'm trying to keep him in front of me while yelling, "NO!" His owners see what's happening, and instead of running across the street to help, they just start walking down the driveway, yelling for him - in Spanish. He finally listens to them and starts toward them. I yell, "You're lucky your dog didn't bite me," and start walking away (while checking my drawers to see if I messed them), and the frigging dog starts coming at me again!! Three times that dog came at me. The last two times not nearly as close, but holy guacamole! There's a lady I see often who walks her weiner dogs. On the way back, I took a detour around the house, saw her, and told her about him being out - just in case. I've never seen this dog before, and can only guess that he's usually inside or in the back yard. The Hub asked, "Why didn't you kick him?" I'm not sure, except it happened so fast, and I was afraid that if I missed or didn't kick him hard enough, he'd really attack. He wasn't a big dog. I'd say he's shorter that Joe's Buddy. If he wasn't so frigging mean, he would've been cute. Anyway, my blood is still boiling (can you tell?). SO - leave at noon today to start down toward Ridgecrest. Got a phone call from my uncle who's giving my dad a VW bug. They live in Bakersfield and are suppose to be bringing it over to Ridgecrest. Turns out, we basically go right past their house. So why are they driving 2 hours over the Ridgecrest to deliver the VW? Beats me! My uncle didn't understand that one, either. Cripes! With all of this going on, my race, etc. (close your ears, men), I'm in the throes of actual MS-ing. No "P" about it. And I barely got any sleep between 2:30 and 5:30. Ack! Midol, take me away!!! Oh - 3 miles, 28:37, 9:33 ap.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Three times that dog came at me.
                            YIKES!!! My hub and I are not fond of dogs for that very reason. If owners would be responsible and train their dogs, we might like them more. I remember running at a park in CA where owners frequently let their dogs off the leash. This one dog kept chasing me and the owner did very little to stop it. Sheesh! If you cannot control your animal, don't let it loose! I didn't care about the other dogs, because they did not care about me. That said, I am very fond of well behaved dogs. Even my husband (who was attacked by a dog when he was a child and almost lost an eye) thinks that trained animals are pleasant. When we run, we carry spray as well for "protection." I don't have much to report, except that I am groaning under the weight of a research paper that is due this week. I would rather be a cheerleader for you guys. GO LESLIE!!!! HAVE FUN!!! YOU WILL DO GREAT!!! Greg, I will try to email you with some thoughts after I finish my paper. I have new thoughts on faith and living by faith that I want to bounce off someone other than my Hubby, who generally agrees with me. Kelly, isn't it getting cold up there? How's school for you? Any end of term projects like I have? Kitrin out
                              I gotta read through this whole thread later... looks like some good stuff. Right now, I'm gonna HTFU and go for a run. It's like 4 degrees w/ 6" of fresh snow. This. Is. Going. To. SUCK. - Chris

dork.major dork.

Greg -- I hear ya. I hope you find balance. Dogs==scary (when not known/controlled) I don't post here very often, though I lurk almost everyday, mainly because I don't get to the trails that often. This month is all about cramming in the miles to (hopefully) reach 1000 miles for the year. But tomorrow, I'm going to hang out with a friend and we are doing a local trail 5k... should be fun!! I'm really excited. I just love all the energy that a race generates.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.