Trail Runners

What's up here? "Is there anybody out there?" (Read 500 times)

under a rock

Welcome to the group new people!

Morgana, I did thrills in the hills a few years ago. It was nice but a little crowded at the start. My friend and I considered Mystery Mtn for our first marathon a few years ago but decided on a trail marathon closer to home and less mountainous. I'll be interested to hear your experience.

MorganaRuns

Slower than you

Hi BatGirl! 

Well, there's the Scenic City Trail Marathon in Chattanooga, that's a nice one. And the Twisted Ankle in Summerville which is also tough, especially if it's hot. Both of them are in May. 

I've volunteered as the race photographer at MMM the last two years, I hope to see you there next year!

Thanks for the tip! I'll look those up and decide. MMM is a serious challenge, but I need that to actually get off my ass and really train.

BTW: what kind of "perfesser"" are you?

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man" - The Dude

Upcoming races: AthHalf: 10/20

MorganaRuns

Slower than you

Welcome to the group new people!

Morgana, I did thrills in the hills a few years ago. It was nice but a little crowded at the start. My friend and I considered Mystery Mtn for our first marathon a few years ago but decided on a trail marathon closer to home and less mountainous. I'll be interested to hear your experience.

Hi there! Yeah, MMM seems very intimidating, but it is pretty close to home. I'm in Athens, GA. Which marathon did you end up doing instead of MMM?

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks for the tip! I'll look those up and decide. MMM is a serious challenge, but I need that to actually get off my ass and really train.

BTW: what kind of "perfesser"" are you?

Heh, my username comes from this:

The actor who played "The Professor" on the 1960s series Gilligan's Island has the same name as me. I got a lot of kidding when I was a kid (in the 1960s) but not so much any more, except from the occasional boomer. 

The username "Professor" was taken so I chose "Perfesser", which is how The Skipper pronounced it. Then added an R to it so it would be unique.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

under a rock

Hi there! Yeah, MMM seems very intimidating, but it is pretty close to home. I'm in Athens, GA. Which marathon did you end up doing instead of MMM?

I did Medoc Marathon near Roanoke Rapids NC. Not much in the way of hills. Mystery Mtn may have been a better choice in the end since the elevation gain was closer to what we trained on. Medoc almost ended up being too flat since I was used to having plenty of uphill power hiking breaks during my training and there were very few hills that needed power hiking. I think the power hiking breaks would have saved my ITB a bit.

I used to live in Athens, didn't go to school there, just work, but I have a soft spot for it since I met my hubby there at a dog park.

MorganaRuns

Slower than you

Heh, my username comes from this:

The actor who played "The Professor" on the 1960s series Gilligan's Island has the same name as me. I got a lot of kidding when I was a kid (in the 1960s) but not so much any more, except from the occasional boomer. 

The username "Professor" was taken so I chose "Perfesser", which is how The Skipper pronounced it. Then added an R to it so it would be unique.

I loved that show when I was a kid and the professor in the show was the best kind - he was a little nerdy, but still cool.

I'm going to lurk over in the Ultra Runners group until I've finally run that elusive marathon and can consider bigger and better things. Smile

MorganaRuns

Slower than you

I did Medoc Marathon near Roanoke Rapids NC. Not much in the way of hills. Mystery Mtn may have been a better choice in the end since the elevation gain was closer to what we trained on. Medoc almost ended up being too flat since I was used to having plenty of uphill power hiking breaks during my training and there were very few hills that needed power hiking. I think the power hiking breaks would have saved my ITB a bit.

I used to live in Athens, didn't go to school there, just work, but I have a soft spot for it since I met my hubby there at a dog park.

That's a cool story about meeting your husband in a dog park here in Athens! If you're ever back in Athens, let me know. Oh and I also appreciate hillier trails where I actually have an excuse to power walk up hills. Smile

under a rock

That's a cool story about meeting your husband in a dog park here in Athens! If you're ever back in Athens, let me know. Oh and I also appreciate hillier trails where I actually have an excuse to power walk up hills. Smile

I miss Athens sometimes, mostly for the food! I miss The Grit like crazy. I have the recipe book but it isn't the same as going there. If I had to move back to Georgia I'd have to pick Athens, close enough to the family in the ATL, but not too close, and lots of good eats, shopping, arts, dog parks, and the one friend I have there.

Where do you go to do your trail runs around there?

MorganaRuns

Slower than you

I miss Athens sometimes, mostly for the food! I miss The Grit like crazy. I have the recipe book but it isn't the same as going there. If I had to move back to Georgia I'd have to pick Athens, close enough to the family in the ATL, but not too close, and lots of good eats, shopping, arts, dog parks, and the one friend I have there.

Where do you go to do your trail runs around there?

The Grit is awesome! It's one of my favorite restaurants, too, and there are quite a few good ones to choose from. My dog and I like going to the dog park and the trails around Lake Herrick. My trail runs are on Cook's Trail and at the State Botanical Gardens.