Trail Runners

Neo Trail Runners Extreme Team - NOV 2008 (Read 395 times)

Kelly I forgot to tell you I checked out your website. It is very good, looks very professional. Good Luck with your training business. Dan
    Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
    Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Kelly, I looked at your website too and I agree with Dan. It is well done. I did not go running today. By the time I came home from church and ate lunch, I received a call that I needed to cook something else for the dinner I am attending tonight. Went to the store, cooked, and had no time for a run before heading out to the dinner. I guess it will be tomorrow then, for sure! Kitrin
        Hey Guys - Kelly - Your web page looks really great. Good luck with it! Just got back from Riverside about 2 hours ago. I'm ready to hit the hay after 2 very late nights, 2 days of flying, and one packed day of conference "stuff." Absolutely no chance to work out since Thurs., so I'm feeling very fat (and the scale confirms it Evil grin ) and in the need to literally work my a$$ off. So just wanted to check in and see how things were going. Nite! Sleepy

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

I went back to the trail where I ran my race, but did not run the same route. I estimate that I ran about 7 miles in 1:45. I learned a lesson today too! I wore my hydration belt, but only loaded one bottle because I did not know how my body would react to the weight even though I was running in mid-70s temps. I drank half the bottle at my turn around and realized that I did not have enough water for the return. That made for a slow jog on the way back that turned to a walk more and more often in the last couple miles. I was trying to balance conserving energy with a fast return to my car, where I had plenty of water to replenish. Lessons learned: Always bring more water than you think you will need. The belt actually helps me run by pulling my gut in. There is no need to fear it. I think I have averted the dreaded "dehydration headache," so no harm done. How is everyone else? Kitrin PS I took some pictures and will try to figure out how to post them.
            Always bring more water than you think you will need.
            You will figure out the balancing act. Might I suggest, however, that you consider using a good sports drink for runs over an hour in length instead of water, especially when warmth and humidity are factors. Some people can drink Gatorade. I buy the powdered GU2O and cut it with maltrodextrin (or it's too sweet). It will help replace important electrolytes, etc.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Nice website Kelly!! - Chris

Ultrachick

Thanks for the compliments on the web site. Hopefully it will help with my business. Feel free to suggest me as a coach-if you feel comfortable. I realize none you know me in person and that can make it hard to recommend me because we don't have a personal level of trust between us. Back in May, I joined a chapter of BNI (Busienss Networking International) in Burlington and so I'm learning how to market myself and establish relationships with other business people so that if they hear someone comment on looking for a trainer, wanting to get into shape etc. they'll feel comfortable talking about me and referring them to me. And I'm hoping by using Training Peaks, I won't be limited to VT runners. I'd like to think that in time since I do travel to NH, MA, CT and NY to race that I could coach runners from those areas as well. Not much else is going on. I got hired to teach mat Pilates class for 12 weeks starting tonight. It's at a Ladies Workout Express so I'm hoping that will turn into a new source of clients for me and they might be looking for someone to cover the desk a few hours each week which I may take as well for some income. Anatomy class is going well-it's already time to sign up for Part 2 next semester which I may as well to finish it. Stowe opens on Saturday so ski season is coming up quick-that means teaching for me which I also thoroughly enjoy and can try to pick up more work there. Have a good evening! Kelly
                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                  Kelly - What do you think are the benefits of Pilates? I tried it on DVD a couple of times and got too bored.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Kelly, good luck with the business. Starting up is always a challenge, but I am sure you will be filling up your schedule soon. I do not have much to report. I am just checking in. I ran a couple miles today, 30 minutes total with some upper body presses on a park bench before and after. I simply did not have time to do more. I figured that I should run harder than usual because I had less time and was surprised at how quickly I blew out. Maybe I should do a little speed work too, in addition to working the hills. I joined the "holiday weight loss challenge" over at KickRunners, so I am hoping that keeps me motivated as the weather grows colder, and colder. I also could stand to lose at least 10 pounds, lol. Kitrin
                      Maybe I should do a little speed work too, in addition to working the hills.
                      Not in the same week. Actually, I would recommend you not do speed work right now. I was told not to until I'd been running at least a year. Your focus at this point should be on building stamina and mileage slowly and safely.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Kelly - What do you think are the benefits of Pilates? I tried it on DVD a couple of times and got too bored.
                        It's a different way to strengthen your core and I like the mind/body connection. It's a strengthening through lengthening your muscles as opposed to strengthening through contracting your muscles like you do with weights. ( I realize you have the eccentric part of the movement, Greg) It's the focus of keeping your core steady while your limbs are moving around that I find challenging and enjoy. Quite a few of the exercises have different levels to them and a good instructor will also have her own ideas or use props to make it challenging. You may not get that feedback/impression from a DVD. I usually recommend that a person takes a few real classes to get the hang of it, have the instructor feedback on your form and once you feel comfortable then move onto DVDs. I'm always suggesting to people to do some mat pilates moves for abs as another alternative to a stability ball. You can do Pilates with a stability ball! I'm into variety and options so there's never too many reasons a person can't exercise. Wink
                        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                        Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Kelly, I agree with you about Pilates. It is a nice low-key strengthening and controlling exercise. I tried a couple videos and liked them, but I had a very small amount of ballet training in the past and that helped with understanding the concept. If you do them right, they are very challenging. I never could get to the point of doing that amazing V shape, however. Kitrin
                            Thanks, Kelly. I know one of the local health clubs offers classes, but I don't want to become a member just for that. I'll have to check around. In the meantime, after my run in Dec. 7, I plan to concentrate a lot more on strength training for awhile. Speaking of the Dec. 7 run, tomorrow's my last long run (17 miles). I will be happy to have the whole thing done and over. I'm glad I'm doing the run, but I'm ready for a break, I won't be participating in an event again until the 8 3/4-mile Trinidad to Clam Beach Run on February 7. I did the 5-mile run a couple of years ago when I first started running. The most fun part is the water crossing - which can be very cold and high, depending on how much rain we get. The Coast Guard monitors the creek, and if they think it's too deep or fast, won't allow the run to pass through there. HOWEVER, if the run does go through the creek, CG guys are there to assist any floundering runners. They have fun and will even carry you across if you ask nicely. Big grin Have a great weekend, everyone!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Leslie, what a great way for the CG guys to spend their day! Sounds like a great race. On another note, I was reading old threads on KickRunners and saw the one you started about 5/1. Does that mean five minutes running and one minute walking? I usually try to run without walking at all. At what distance should I incorporate this kind of strategy? I read that many people run for 0:45 - 1:00 before starting the run/walk cycle and I think I would be comfortable with that. I also like the idea of doing more of an 8/2 or 15/3 like the others suggested. What do you think? On yet another, more general note, I ran 1:25 with both bottles on my belt today and learned that two bottles makes a big difference in weight. I had to adjust the position and tightness of the belt and found myself much more motivated to drink early (to lose the weight from the belt). I suppose it is a good thing to have a reason to drink more frequently. Other than that, the run was good and strong the whole time. At 0:45 I found my groove, and towards the end I kicked into high gear simply because I could. Is there such a thing as a running "growth spurt?" I seem to be running farther easier these last few weeks. I could have easily kept running today for more time. I simply did not have the time to give. Too many other commitments. Happy weekend to everyone! Kitrin
                                Re the Kickrunners Thread - This was probably before my SOB run. I had been playing around with a run/walk ratio and wanted others' opinions. Many ultra runners institute some form of a run/walk ratio, but, depending on the terrain, get in an hour of run time first. My friend, Kate, does a 20/2, which I've played around with. One of the pluses for me is that by walking for a short time every 20 minutes (I have my Garmin set to go off), it is a reminder to eat and drink on a consistent basis. Otherwise, I have a tendency to not take in enough fuel to get me through. I still have trouble with this and usually spend my 2 minutes gagging down 1/3 of a Clif bar. Why Clif bars? An entire bar has 250-280 calories and they're very portable. I usually cut them up into thirds and put them in a baggie. You'll have to play around with the run/walk ratios and see what suits you best. Re carrying two bottles of fluids - Be careful to not overhydrate in an effort to empty your bottle because of weight. You will need to get used to have that weight on your body if you desire to work toward the longer distances. Plus, you don't want to end up with no fluids and still have a few miles left to run. Cripes - in reading over what I've just written, I sound so "knowledgeable." Tongue As a disclaimer - listen to Kelly before you listen to me. Wink

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance