Trail Runners

Moab Red Hot (Read 310 times)

runnercat

Hi all, I'm hoping to do the Moab Red Hot 33k. Has anyone here done the 50k or familiar with the area? Specifically, the web site doesn't say anything about a shuttle from the end back to the parking at the start. Is the highway between the start and finish a easy bike ride?, would it be safe to bike from the end back to the start?I'm a little iffy on whether or not to do this run. I've been having plantar fasciitis issues lately but seems ok if I run slow and gently enough. Thanks
      Hi, I am doing the 50k this year, have never done the race before and was curious about a shuttle myself. I would not want to ride a bike back up to the start. It's not very long, but the 191 is a pretty busy highway. The town of Moab is much closer to the finish than going back to the start. If there is no shuttle, I would try to arrange a ride to the start and then just ride back to town. On the Plantar Fascitis note, I had some issues with that earlier this year and discovered that it was not due to running, but working long days on my feet in unsupportive shoes (crocs). I bought new shoes and some insoles specifically for PF and within 2 weeks, the pain was gone. I never stopped running. Just a thought. Hope to see you in Moab Jarrod
      runnercat

Hi Jarod, I emailed the RD and there will be a shuttle from the finish. Thanks for the info on the bike idea on the highway. I was afraid it might be a little wild as far as traffic. So things look good. Now the excuses--been running 11 min miles the last month due to ice and snow. I think I can do the distance but no telling how long it will take!!!! Looks like the 33 K starts 30 min after the 50 K so hopefully the shuttles will still be going when I finish the 33k. Hope to see you there Corinne
          Corinne, Thanks for the info on the shuttle. I feel you on the snow and ice. It has been hard for me to get the miles in that I want to lately. I'm sure you will finish the 33k with plenty of time for the shuttle. (if I can average 11 min miles in the 50k, I will be ecstatic!). I just officially signed up today, so I will be there! Jarrod
            I did this race last year, it's an excellent course and a really fun race! Hwy 191 is busy, but it has good shoulders. I'd ride it without much concern, but I'm pretty comfortable riding busy roads. As someone mentioned, it would be better to leave a bike at the finish and take the shuttle to the start and ride back to town. It's a quick ride from the Poison Spider Mesa trailhead back to town and the ride along Wall Street is really nice. One item of concern: there may not be a place to lock a bike at the trailhead. I don't recall a place. - Chris A shot from the Gold Bar Rim trail (about mile 26 or so):
            runnercat

Jarrod Good luck at the race. I am heading out on Wed. Going to make a long weekend of it. Away from the snow I hope. I'm gonna run real slow, maybe even take some pictures. Maybe I can finish the 33K with the end of the 50Kers! Maybe we'll see each other there. Corinne
                Hope to see you guys there. I'll be the fat slow one! - Chris

Just keep running...

Hi, Im running the 50k with Jarrod, (well not WITH him, but probably somewhere behind him ;-)) One of my favorite runs is the "Blue dot" trail (thats what I call it, I dont know what it is really named) but it is slickrock + singletrack up to the top of the Gold Bar rim trail... I cant wait to run it! We should make a big RA sign so we will know each other!
                    Report anyone? I would love to hear about the runs! Big grin
                    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                    runnercat

From the 33K-- I'ts a great run. First mile+ uphill then mostly down/rolling to about mile 5, up, up, and up till about mile 15, then down to the Colorado River. Absolutely georgous scenery (and I know cause I was going slow and had time to look around!) Lots of running on slickrock. Orginization was great for me--packet pick-up in town easy, start easy to find, plenty of porta potties, good parking, started on time. Aid stations good. There was a shuttle from the end back to the parking lot and good food at the finish. The weather for the run was absolutely great. I drove down early and got caught in a horrible snow storm in SLC but thats not the fault of the race. All in all, it was a great time--there were some awsome runners there (I was definately out of my league) Good feelings all around. I'd go back anytime but from Montana, it's 700 miles at a pretty ify time of year weather-wise. Corinne
                        Wow! Sounds nice. Did you take any pics? I hear you about the drive. I wanted to do the run, but you can't count on being able to drive over the Sierra this time of year, and flights air prices are outrageous now. Thanks for sharing. We'll probbaly bite the bullet and go in November, though, for the other Moab one. MTA: Corrine - you failed to mention you placed 1st (women)? (I looked at the results)! Very cooooooool! Probable didn't have time to take any pictures then, i would guess. Congrats!
                        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                        runnercat

Ohh, that was'nt me that placed first. I wish. I'm pretty slow this time of year. (and the rest of the year too). I'm thinking of doing the Moab marathon in april, the drive should'nt be snowy then and the canyonlands and lost horse state park should be cool that time of year. I've promised my boss and my husband to stick local after that Big grin Have a good year Corinne
                            I finally got around to writing up a little race report, if anyone's interested: http://www.chrisgerber.com/outdoors/trip-reports/moab-red-hot-20080216.cgi Thanks, - Chris
                            runnercat

GREAT REPORT CHRIS Thanks Corinne

Ultrachick

Nice report Chris! and the pictures are great! I'll be going to Utah in Septmeber because my significant other got into Wasatch. I've never been there before so I'm really looking forward to it. Kelly
                                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.