Trail Runners

Neo-Trail Runners Extreme Team - May 2008 (Read 273 times)

Yesterday we completed our last long run before the 50k. Hub asked me how far we ran. "3.5 hours." "How far?" "I don't know. We don't track miles, just time out there." "Then how do you know you can go 31 miles?" Good question - one I keep asking myself over and over and over. I have to stop asking. Roll eyes But no new blisters yesterday, so that's a definite positive. Happy Mother's Day, Kelly, and to any other mothers who may be lurking but not posting. Wink

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good luck with the 50K. Since I've gotten the Garmin this year, I've found that my pace on the hilly technical trails is about 15:00/mile. I was doing long runs of 4 hours last year, 2 5-hour, and an 8 hour 50k before the VT50. The 4 hour long runs were enough to carry me through the 50k no problem, and they were probably only 16 miles or so (though I did that as a low hr training run, very easy pace). Even the 5 hours were only probably 20 miles. You'll have no problem. Smile

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Ultrachick

Thank you for the Mother's Day wish. I had a nice day-brunch at my parents with my sister, a couple chores and went for a slow and easy recovery run. I ran 20m yesterday with Jack. I averaged 155 HR which was a little higher than I would normally go and through in a 7:47 mile towards the end which got me up to 182 HR. Tonight's run I averaged 137! Yes, I walked the few little hills and had to be careful not to walk too fast! Scared a turkey in the woods and frightened a couple bunnies too. Good luck at the 50K Leslie even though I'm sure we'll post more this week. I'm sure you'll make the distance-you've been training hard and have the mental toughness to just keep going. Kelly
        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
          My friend calculated the miles we did Saturday. She was very distressed to learn we only did about 10 and I guess were suppose to do 15. Oh well. She wants to finish the 50k in 8 hours, so she needs to be doing about 4 mph. I just want to finish in the 9-hour time frame, which would leave me at about 3.5 mph. Supposedly, the trail is more rolling than hills, which we have a lot of in the Arcata Community Forest. I think all the climbing we've been doing is going to be a real plus and I can keep a nice, steady pace. Kelly - What's your max HR suppose to be? Coach Bill calculated mine based on some formula that included my age (42) and resting HR (45-48), which gives me a max of 152. That seems low to me, considering my friend is 5 years older than me and has a higher resting rate at 58. Her max is 166, but she also did a VO2 test, which I am hoping to complete in August when the local university starts back up. Anyway, it was tough keeping my HR below 152 on my 5 miles this a.m. Stupid Garmin kept beeping at me! Smile We're tapering now which will be good since I leave Wednesday for 4 days of conference. I'm looking at my running schedule and my conference schedule and wondering when I'm going to get all this in. Luckily, there's suppose to be a really nice gym next door to the hotel, but I'm definitely not looking forward to 1.5 hours on the treadmill Saturday. Although it sure beats trying to find my way around Pleasanton at dark-30 hours in the a.m. Oh - I'm going to buy a nice, used mountain bike from Coach Bill's friend and put it on a trainer to get some better cardio workouts. My DVDs don't do anything for me anymore. I hardly break a sweat. He's selling me the bike for $50! Much cheaper than the $600 used Lemond RevMaster I want. Big grin

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

To truly find my max HR I would have to die Big grin. I have my HR monitor set at 187 I think? At my last VO2 test I got up to 186 I believe but that's not my true max because I'm not dead! Who knows how many more beats i could have gone but my friend who does this testing knows what he's looking for and once he has it, I'm done. I don't focus on my max or my VO2 number-I just want that upper limit of zone 2 for base training. Here are my zones: Zone 1:120-132 Zone 2: 133-150 Zone 3: 151-158 Zone 4: 159-170 Zone 5: 171+ Most of my runs are 150 or below or 159 and up. Zone 3 is that gray area and it's taken the last 2 years to narrow it down. For comparison my zones in 11/2006 were: Zone 1: 129-147 Zone 2: 148-165 Zone 3: 166-182 Zone 4: 183-187 Zone 5: 188+ I've shifted downward becoming more efficient. Bonus is that I'm running faster with less work (I'm not feeling yet this year though). Try the Maffetone formula for your zones until you get tested-I think it works better. Talk to you later! Kelly
              I found out yesterday I was wrong on Karen's max. It's 155. Then I remembered that 166 is where my PT set me when I tried out the stationary bike a couple of weeks ago. No wonder I was dying. This whole zone thing - it's very new to me and I'll be getting much more info from Coach Bill when I have more time. Right now I try very hard to keep it below 151, but I'm finding it's not that easy! Now I understand what everyone's been talking about. It'll be very interesting for awhile trying to stay within that zone on the trails, especially when climbing the hills. I'll have to ask Coach Bill what "technique" he used to find my max. Also, my PT promised me that if I worked within my max heart rate zone, I'd burn more fat calories and lose the little "middle" I can't seem to get rid of. I was like, "What?!? Give me the frigging monitor now!" Big grin

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Okay - According to the Maffetone system, my max heart rate would be 143. Confused I would be walking almost all the time, especially on the trails. 180 - 42 (age) = 138 + 5 (no real problems, illnesse, etc.) = 143

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

That's where I was 2 years ago! My suggestion is just dabble with it for now since it's racing season-try to keep your HR low for your recovery runs like after a speed day. Then, once your race season is over and I'm guessing by then you'll have had a VO2 test done and really know what your numbers are then you can spend the winter base training-which is what this low HR part is called. Kelly
                    That's where I was 2 years ago! Kelly
                    I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Confused Suppose to push myself on the dreadmill tomorrow, slowly raising the incline until I get in the anaerobic phase, then note my HR. Not sure what Coach is going to do with that, unless he wants to ensure that something isn't screwy and I can have a higher high rate. (makes sense?) It's freaking HOT down here in Pleasanton. It got into triple digits today, and we Nor Cal ocean gals just aren't used to that weather. For us, 65 is getting warmish. 70 - people are passing out in the streets. Didn't bring any shorts, and the fan on my car is messed up, so it's all out air conditioning, no way you can talk to each other it's so loud. . . or nothing. So unfortunately, when not doing conference stuff, we've had to amuse ourselves and stay cool by hanging out in the mall. I haven't' gone crazy, 'cept Macy's was having an over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder sale . . . so I bought 4. Woo hoo! Wink Big spenda! Gotta get to sleep. Have to get up and run 1.5 hours tomorrow before conference starts again at 9, and still have time to get dressed and eat. It'll be close. Have a good weekend!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Well,I haven't checked in here for awhile, sorry. I'm trying to be more diligent at work. Kelly, I did all my runs last year for three months, including a 50k, with my hr below 141. UUGH! It was brutal, and I did walk a LOT. This year, after a 5 month layoff, I'm just going out and running comfortably, and my hr hangs about 145 for the first 10 miles, then it gets harder to keep it down. I'm just trying to keep my hr below 150, which I've arbitrarily chosen as the ceiling. Once in a while I'm doing a short run, 3-5 miles, at hr of 150-160 the whole way. This approach has made running much more fun. I still have to walk occassionally but I dont' mind. It's nowhere near as much as I used to. As I get faster at 140-150 over the next year, I may drop my ceiling to 140 and see if I can still jog there. MAF is VERY conservative and is a total system of health. Some people adopt the running/hr piece but reject the muscle testing, shoes, and diet. To me, they all seem arbitrary as he didn't provide the numbers or refrences for his tests he's done. If all his other ideas are psuedoscience, why not the hr piece too? Reject it if you like, it's a good starting place, but run faster if you want. Have fun. Try to keep your hr lower. Just jog comfortably and don't worry too much about hr. I think getting a VO2 test is best so you can know for sure where your ceiling is if you have the money. I don't so I'm just poking along, and having a blast, much more fun than last year. I ran 14 on Saturday, 2/3 flat, 1/3 trails. I'm backing off my fast buildup of miles and trying to gradually increase. May or may not get to 50 this fall, probably not the 100, but we'll see. Take care y'all.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

It's pretty cool that the local university here offers a whole body check out (fat mass, nutrition, VO2, etc.) for $65. If you just do the VO, it's $50. But they aren't doing any again until school starts back up in August. So I'll just sit at the max of 151 and see how things progress over the next few months. The countdown has begun for Sunday's 50k. Cripes, I'm so stinking nervous. I can't help it. Ack! I need a Valium or something . . . . Tongue

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Glad to hear you're having a blast running again Buddo-that's what it's all about. Leslie, you'll do fine on Sunday. Just remember the clock is always ticking so keep moving forward. No heming and hawing at the aid stations trying to pick out someting to eat, walk fast-you're not out for a Sunday stroll. Also, have a blast! I mean have fun! Hopefully your tummy won't bother you too much-if it does, have a blast! You'll feel better! (Hopefully you won't be in a crowd of other runners Big grin) Enjoy the views and keep smiling Wink I'm having a blast too-I always I do when I run-it makes me go faster... Big grin I'm so busy still my head is a constant fog making sure I don't miss something or forget someone somewhere. I've got a Palm Pilot, 2 calendars and lists on scrap paper to keep me going and a trail marathon on June 1. Take care and talk to you later! Kelly
                            Kelly - You are way too busy. I'll take a nap for ya if that'll help. Wink The tummy issue - I've been taking Zantac since Monday, so hopefully that'll help the nausea I get. But don't worry - if I gotta go, I'm gonna go. Just avert your eyes, people. I don't linger too long aid stations unless I need to refill or am having some kind of issue that needs attending. I carry a small ziplock baggie with me and just grab some things and stuff it. Usually, I'm not there more than a minute or two. And I'm using all the positive visualization I can, especially being able to call the Hub at the end and letting him know I did it. Well, I have loads and loads of work to do, so I gotta get going. Later!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Wow, a whole week without posts. Everybody have fun this weekend? I replaced my waterheater and did respite care for a foster family, taking their 11 month old baby boy for the weekend. He was the best baby! Went to two barbecues and spent the rest of the time soldering, taking apart, resoldering the copper pipes and fittings to my new water heater. Finally finished it yesterday. I am so proud of myself. Cool I feel like a real Mr. Fix it. Managed to get in a 15 mile loop of the Wissahickon Gorge, my favorite grounds. This trail kicks my ass every time. Not sure if it was the deep knee bends I did all last week or not, or pool fueuling (giant Snickers bar) but I was woozy and drained after about 5 miles. Just got worse as the time went on. My dog was really dragging too. I wore my sandals that I trained in last year, Hi-tec Sicorro's. Open toed makes going down hill tricky. I slid on a rock at one point and bashed the outside of my right foot on a rock. Ouch. Still hurts 4 days later. Yesterday half my foot was blue/black. Oh well. I don't feel as beat up as the last time I did this loop a few weeks ago. I will continue to do this loop till it doesn't kill me, and then shoot for longer runs. Let's hear your running adventures from the weekend. Leslie, you had your 50K right?! How did it go?

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Trails/Forum/Post/3d4bce70db344d05b2036dd70afba9c7#focus Here's my report, guys. Beware! It's long! Buddo - Hope you didn't break anything in your foot. Confused Be careful, dude. We want to keep you on the trails! Been up to my eyeballs in work, both at work and at home (side job) since I got back. Reee-diculus, I tell ya!

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance