Trail Runners

Trail Runners Extreme Team - July 2009 (Read 272 times)

GREG!!!!  Where the heck have you been??  It's been very lonely in here.  Kelly's busy as a frigging beaver, Chris has a new baby, no peeps whatsoever.  I pretty much have been talking to myself.  I like my own company and all, but even I get tired of me after awhile.

I'm off to run SOB again on Saturday.  Keep your fingers crossed.  This is the race last year where I didn't make an aid station cutoff and was pulled.  It's a grudge match - me and that freaking mountain!

Okay, it's late and I gotta get some shut eye.  Don't be such a frigging stranger - running or not.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I am out in the field all day with my new job. Previously I could sit all day and waste time surfing the net. Now, I only have a little time each day and don't get on on many days. 4 kids and a wife with the house tend to take up much of my time. I haven't run barely at all, just here and there, testing my achilles when it feels good. It doesn't yet. Still injured. 

Good luck in your race. 

Where's Kitrin? 

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

. . . testing my achilles when it feels good. It doesn't yet. Still injured. 

Where's Kitrin? 

Wow. Sounds like you really did a number on it then.  That stinks.

No idea about Kitrin.  She disappeared along with everyone else.  It's just been little ole me and sometimes Chris.  It's been lonely.

Hope your job is doing well.  Drop in whenever you get a chance.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hi!  I've been a bad forum friend lately, sorry Smile

Not getting much sleep these days.  Still running as much as I can.  Hoping to start ramping up the mileage to get ready for the Bear 100 in Sept. 

The baby is doing well.  She only sleeps 2-3 hours at a stretch though, so we're not getting a lot of quality sleep.  I keep telling myself it's training for the overnight runs.  I don't think it works that way though.

Greg, sorry to hear the achilles is still giving you fits.  I'd imagine you're ready to choke strangers and kill kittens by now... I can't imagine going that long without a running fix.

Leslie: Kick some butt in your race.  My first 50miler was like that.  I DNF'd the first year and it haunted me for an entire year.... but I exacted my revenge and you will too!  Most importantly, have a good time!

- Chris

Hey, is this your first 50 Leslie?

How do you feel? How has your training gone? You still getting the deluxe treatment with a personal trainer?

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Good lord - it's not a 50-miler!  Yikes.  It's a 50k.  Chris is the one banging out the 50 and 100 milers.  And yes, I'm still working with a coach.  Last summer he went to a coaching clinic to become a certified running coach and FINALLY!! He agreed with what I'd been requesting all along.  This year we've been training in miles as opposed to time, i.e., last year the longest training run we had was 3.5 hours and whatever mileage you could accomplish in that amount of time.  The theory was an old one where supposedly when you run any longer than 3.5 hours, it takes your body too long to recover.  Well, I never understood this as I didn't see how running only 3.5 hours could get you ready for a run that, in my case with my first 50k, last over 8 hours.  Didn't make sense and I kept questioning it over and over. 

Now, after attending the clinic, he and my running buddy, Karen, agreed that mileage was the important thing.  As she told me on one of our training runs, "It's the time on your legs that's important."  Well, duh!  That's what I've been saying all along.  And yes, I did an "I told you so" to both of  them. Had to.

So with all that being said, I feel much more confident (with the exception of the elevation) this year.  My only concern is the aid station cutoff times, so I'll have to keep an eye on the clock.  I'm taking the early 6:00 a.m. start, the first cut off is 11:45, the second is 1:15, and we have to complete the run by 2:30.  We start at 6400', climb to 7100', and have over 4200' of elevation gain through the 31 miles.  Being a sea level dweller, that kind of elevation leaves you feeling like someone's sitting on your chest, so we'll see how it goes.  Relentless forward motion and keeping food in my mouth are my objectives.  Lack of fuel did me in last year.

Chris - I've never had kids so can't sympathize with the lack of sleep, unless you count The Hub's snoring.  But hey, I like your idea of using for all running training!

Greg - You've graced us with your presence not once, not twice, but three whole times  in about 24 hours.  Yea!

Okay - back to my regularly scheduled program of transcription for the next 2 or 3 hours.  Ugh!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey Gang - I'm back, and, if I do say so myself . . . . I kicked SOB Butt!  Finished in 7:39:13, and I am so frigging happy with that!  My first 50k in March 2008 - 8:44:??, second at SOB in July 2008 - swept at Mile 22.  This year, I came back with a vengeance.  My hips are sore and I have a few blisters, but am otherwise happy, happy, happy.

Will tell more later.  Right now, I want a nap.  Later!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Holy cow, that's incredible!  Nice job!!

Fill us in on details when you're recovered!  :-)

Way to go Leslie. Can't wait to hear the details.

I posted my race report on an other thread here - SOB 50k Trail Run Report.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Nice report, great job!!!

Thanks, Chris.  How's the new baby girl doin'?

6.7 recovery miles in about 1:40 this a.m.  A little slow for me, but Karen wasn't in a mood to go any faster.  Felt good.

We have my SIL and her hub here 'til Monday.  Going inland this afternoon for a BBQ a winery should be fun.

Have a great weekend, all.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Hi Guys!  Thanks for the busy beaver comment-I don't know what I've been doing.  Work is keeping me busy, the kids are out of school and one is working the other I'm keeping somewhat busy thanks to some help from my parents but now he's home bored to death.  Busy training-I'm 10 weeks out from my 100 miler?  Something like that.

Last weekend was the VT100 which I crewed for Jack and he won!!!  He had a great race-finished in 16:36 which is not a PR for him but within a 10 min range of the past 2 years finish time.  He had one other runner hanging with him until mile 88 where he was finally able to slip away while he was in the John and won with about a 40min gap.  Jack is the first VT male to ever win the VT100 in its 21 yr history and Ultrarunning suggested he could be the oldest winner of a major ultra ever at 51yrs old.  I sent this info to the AARP Magazine-we'll see if they call for an interview .

My training is going well.  I ran the Finger Lakes 50 mile on July 4.  The mud was so deep and plentiful I finished in 10:04 about an hour slower than last year but still placed the same-second female overall and first master female.  13 out of 23 that finished-about half the field dropped to the 50K because of the mud-weenies!

My family life has been keeping me busy in that when you mix two divorced people and one has kids (teenagers now) things don't always go as smoothly as other families appear to be.  I've been grappling with what to do internally and still haven't come up with any solution.  This isn't exactly something I want to be posting on the internet so we'll leave it at this and things will work out somehow.

I do miss you guys but there's just not enough time in the day.  Keep up the good work!

Happy Trails,  Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Holy cow!  It's a Kelly sighting!!

BIG congratulations to both you and Jack.  You two are quite the running duo.  Let us know if AARP does an article on him, and please let us know how your 100-miler turns out.

Come back soon!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hi. Ran twice this week now. Looks like I may be over the worst of it. Ran two ::30 runs, one barefoot. Achilles feels 95%. I may be able to go back to regular running. We'll see. Going to go long Saturday- 90:00! Yeah, I tore it all up. I think it's actually a tendon on the side of my foot that's the major culprit. The achilles hurts some too though. Who knows. I'll continue with my self directed rehab. Take care.