Trail Runners

Trail Runners Extreme Team - July 2009 (Read 272 times)

I'm rootin' for ya, Greg.  Here's hoping you'll be 100%++ soon.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Hi Guys,

I guess I am barely slipping in on the July thread.  Here I am with my tail between my legs, hanging my head in shame for deserting my online running buds.  Sorry.

I basically crawled into a hole this past Spring.  My husband came home every night talking about how much he hated his job and wanted to move again, our exchange student was not blending well, I frequently have problems in the Spring anyway, and I started a backyard landscaping project that was SO BIG it took over my life. 

Well, the project is complete, the hubbie is tolerating his job (until something better comes up), the exchange student went home, and I am over my Spring slump.  I started running again, but my mileage is low.  My top end runs are 4-5 miles.

I am currently in OKC because FEMA sent my guy here and I can follow, now that we are childless again.  We packed up the cats and have all lived in a hotel room since July 2.  I drive home, 3 hours each way, once a week to make sure bills are paid, the yard is mowed and watered (I invested too much time and money to watch anything die), and I do laundry while I am there.  Otherwise, I am at the hotel doing homework or running.  Life is never what you expect it to be.

I want to do a half marathon this fall if I can.  We'll see if I can build up the mileage.

Kitrin

Hi Kitrin!

I'm sorry things have been tough, but it's good to hear from you again and to see you're getting some running in.  BTW - Yard work is x-training.

I hope things keep improving for you.  Please remember you always have ears here to listen and help, if possible.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Leslie,

Selfish me.  I did not even think to congratualte you on your FABULOUS 50k victory.  You inspire me.

Hi Kitrin! Looks like our little community is reviving somewhat! Kitrin, go for the half! The last issue of Running Mag. has some good training plans. You can do it.  Go for it! I however haven't logged anything for several months. I was trying to run a few times a week to rehab the ankle before I had to give it up completely for a month or so.
            Few weeks ago I started doing short runs again, which hurt, but seem to have been active rehab as after taking another week off, I ran without pain three times this week. Yahoo! Only half hour runs, but that's a victory for me. I missed my early morning long run today as I slept in. It was to be only 90:00 but for me that's a long run currently. Instead, I'm going to hit the treadmill at the play room at the Y where my kids can romp while I run on the treadmill. Oh well, anyway, good to  be back. I'm taking it easy and monitoring the ankle as I go. We'll see what happens.

Today, all 4 of my kids, my wife, and my four dogs (one totally blind) went jogging together in a local state park. My 5 year old boy hang with me the whole time, even running up a big hill nonstop. Looks promising. I was proud of him. So, that counts a little bit to the miles. I probably totaled about 1.5 miles. So, we'll see. Keep running everyone!

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Hit 5 on the dreadmill while my kids romped in the playroom at the Y. Bumped the elevation to 3 then 5 on the last quarter mile. Left ankle a little sore today. I'll take two days off from running and cross train cycling to let it rest then run again on Tuesday to see how it feels. This injury stinks. I'd take recommendations if y'all have any. I'm not going to the doc though. Not yet. They'll just subscribe rest and rehab anyway. I'll save my money.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Florida

What's your injury?  Achilles issues?
                  Yeah, I strained or partially tore it a few months ago along with smaller tendons on the side of the foot. It's taking months to heal.

Florida

Yeah, I strained or partially tore it a few months ago along with smaller tendons on the side of the foot. It's taking months to heal.

Rest and rehab...you're right.  My suggestions - for what they're worth: Pay attention to any pain and don't try to run through it.  Think about trying some flexibility work - I like the Aaron Mattes method...Active Isolated Stretching.  Depending on your injury, you're apt to find a particular stretch(es) that work(s) well for you.  Also try using (street and running shoes) small heel lifts (some sort of soft yet resilient gel material perhaps 3/16 of an inch thick that fit into the heel cups of your shoes - I got mine from my ortho doc) that elevate the heel and take just a bit of the tension off of the Achilles. 

In my experience, an Achilles injury is not something one can easily run through.  I injured mine at the 2006 Goofy and ended up with a 20-mth marathon layoff. 

Keep after it!  You'll get there!