Trail Runners

Neo Trail Runners Extreme Team-SEPTEMBER (Read 447 times)

Is it because you feel the need to be more cautious?

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Is it because you feel the need to be more cautious?
      Nah, I think it's because I suck! Big grin Seriously, I think I just need some dedicated hill workouts.
      Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
        Nah, I think it's because I suck! Big grin Seriously, I think I just need some dedicated hill workouts.
        Big grin Big grin 2.5 hours in the Arcata Forest all by my lonesome today. Karen is up in the Oregon visiting her family. It was kind of nice to be able to do my own thing at my own pace. It's gorgeous here today, and even though most of the trail system is in shade, I eventually had to take my shirt off to cool down. Very unusual for us North Coasters. Now I'd like to take a nap, but, alas, I have transcription to do. Evil grin Have a great weekend!

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

oldguy, What a great race report! I think I am more intimidated by the thought of composing a race report than I am of running such a race. I am a much better hiker than I am runner (or writer). As far as time is concerned, I would LOVE to run for over four hours at a 14:30 pace. Big grin I ran a scant three miles on the trails yesterday in cooler weather than I have had for months and I averaged 13-13.30. I was stoked! The only race I ever ran was a 5K road race last fall where I averaged a little over 12 min miles. I will never have fleet feet, but I plan to keep them going no matter what. Thank you all on the advice about the shoes. I did take them back to REI and bring home 1/2 size up. We'll see if that helps, but I expect my feet (especially my toes) will simply need to harden to trail running a little. I plan to increase mileage slowly, so maybe the transition will not be too painful. I am glad that I have never been a pedicure person because I think I will lose that one toenail before this is all done. On another note, I worked an aid station at a North Texas Trail Runner event this morning. I met some nice people and learned through the experience of others about the challenges of finding the course during these races. Oldguy, I think I will do what you did and make sure I follow veterans when I run, LOL! Anybody else have some fun this weekend? Kitrin
            Hi Kitrin I'm glad you liked my race report. I agree with you. I'd rather run than write! Don't worry about your pace right now. Just try get more time on your feet and have fun. I ran a 20K trail race today. I wasn't trying to race it but just to use it as a workout. The course was very hilly, something I really didn't want after last week at Wapack. I got lost twice but it probably only added an extra 10 minutes to the run. I bonked major league around 10 miles. I had to walk a lot the last 2. I guess I haven't fully recovered from the 4.5 hr run 6 days ago. Dan
            Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
              Howdy y'all. Glad to hear of all the cool exploits. Fatozzig, 4 hours on the trails by yourself sound awesome. That's my long run every weekend (once I get my miles back up), usually mostly in the dark too. Must of felt good to get back to the trails. I ran 11 miles in extreme humidity, 5500' elevation gain and loss. I was whooped. Couldn't keep my hr down. Was jacked for most of the run,-160-175. Soaked my car seat on the way home to the point I had to use a different car to go somewhere after I showered up. My clothes really stink now too. Can't believe how much my sweat stinks! I had no idea. Hmm. Thank God for deoderant. Reminded me of my high school years in Italy on the Milan subways in the summer. P-U. I just got back from a very relaxing, rejuvinating trail run on my lunch hour, 2.25 miles. Low hr, low humidity, 82 degrees. Cool. I'm ready to start building my miles back up.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Buddo- Don't know if you know about it, but this stuff works really well in getting the stink outta your workout clothes. The least expensive place I've found to purchase it is through Amazon. My friend's sister uses something else that's available at regular stores, but for the life of me, I can't think of the name of it. When it comes to me, I'll be like, "Doy!"

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Our humidity finally broke today, so I was not soaking as I drove home - for once. Big grin Greg, I feel your sweat! About halfway through my run I started to ask myself why I was feeling so strong. Maybe it was because I ate a little more this morning? A little cooler? The nice breeze out of the South? After the run, I decided that it was all those factors but also gave a big nod to lower humidity. I have been running with temps in the 80's and humidity in the 70-80% range for weeks now. As I drove home, the temp was 75 and humidity around 50%. I pushed slightly over one hour today, but also did some power hiking to see how that helps. I really have no idea how much distance I covered. No big deal right now. I know that I ran at least four because I am certain I am running faster than 15 minute miles. My toe still hurts and was not happy by the end of the run, but it was oozing this weekend. We'll see how it does over the next couple days. Smile As always, great to hear from everyone! Kitrin
                    My toe still hurts and was not happy by the end of the run, but it was oozing this weekend. We'll see how it does over the next couple days. Smile Kitrin
                    Kitrin - Is there a blister under the toenail? Or is it . . . okay, where's the blister?

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Leslie, Yes, the blister is under the toenail. Tongue One of the North Texas Trail Runner members suggested to me this weekend that part of my problem might be an untrimmed toenail that my socks pull backwards. I went home and trimmed the nail and it started oozing blistery puss like I had popped a blister. I thought to myself, "Well, I certainly DID have a blister UNDER that toenail, like I suspected." I did not trim the nail severely, just nice and clean and short. My position in life has always been that it is a good thing to drain blisters, so I let the toe dry out by wearing sandals and staying in watching hurricanes. Big grin Any excuse to spend hours watching radar on the computer works for me! I am beginning to think this has something to do with a combination of supination (I have VERY high arches) and the tougher toe guard material on the new shoes. Also, my left foot is slightly larger than my right. My right foot/toes are not having this problem. Kitrin
                        Kitrin - The one time I had a blister under the toenail, I had to drain it a few times before it quit filling back up. Don't be surprised if you lose the toenail. The next one will probably grow back funny. I would definitely suggest wearing a shoe that's at least 1/2 a sizer larger than your larger foot. This will give your feet the room they need for "expansion." A great book to have is "Fixing Your Feet" by John Vonhof. I have found it to be invaluable. I got it offwww.half.com fairly inexpensively.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey, I like the new avatar. Cute kitties.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Hey, I like the new avatar. Cute kitties.
                            Wilson and Oscar aka Gumba. The "kittens" we adopted a year ago. They love that cat post. A friend built it for us a few years ago. It's over 6 feet tall with 3 levels. Our old guy can still get on the lowest level, which is right at window ledge height. We had to pull it away from the window, 'cause when Wilson, Oscar, and Ziggy would all get on there and start playing, they kept slamming into the window.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Hi Guys! I'm back! Jack and I had a good time in Utah....Jack had a great race-finished 3rd overall which is awesome for someone from the East coast. He finished in 21:47-only a few minutes behind Andy Jones-Wilkins and over an hour behind the winner Geoff Roes-20:01:07. We went down to Moab after and ran around the Arches National Park and went mtn biking. Jack did the famous Slickrock Trail-I didn't even make it around the practice loop. I said 'you go ahead honey-I'll wait for you at the car' and studied. We found an easier trail with some slickrock on it for me to do. I fell over twice on the rock within the first quarter mile and said that's enough-I have a race coming up soon. When Jack got back he said I wouldn't have enjoyed it. So I have lots of catching up to do and a life to figure out-I'll chat with you all later! Kelly
                              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                                Well, CONGRATULATIONS!!! to Jack!!! Woo Hoo! You have quite the stud there, don't you? Then after running 100 miles, he went mountain biking?? Maybe he's nuts instead . . . Wink We missed you. Nice to have you back!

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance