Trail Runners

Neo Trail Runners Extreme Team-SEPTEMBER (Read 447 times)

Happy Saturday, folks. We ran the Headwaters today. 11 miles in 2:35:19. It's been so long since we went the whole distance out there, we both forgot how much climbing is involved. Needless to say, it's a lot of fun coming out since it's mostly downhill. They've also done a considerable amount of work on the trails and have re-routed a good chunk of it. For some reason, though, the inside of my knee is really bothering me now. Will have to discuss that in depth with my MAT person on Wednesday. It hasn't bothered me this much in awhile. Hmmmm Confused The Hub called from work and won't be home this evening. College football and BBQ a someone else's house, and no, I'm not invited. It's a guy thing. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with myself the rest of the day. I guess I could clean house, but why?? Big grin Hope all is going with you.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Woohoo Leslie! Free time to yourself-hope you did something fun and didn't clean all day! I was busy with watching my son play football. He's in the 7th grade and usually plays on the 7th grade part of the 7/8 team but was asked to play today with the 8th graders. He did a great job as water boy and once they were winning 26 to 6 in the 4th quarter he got to go play! Big grin That was this moring and then in the afternoon I met with a young woman who is going to hire me as her personal trainer to help her lose weight-woohoo-a new client! I finally went for a run around 6:30pm-I was waiting for the humidity to lighten up and ran 7 miles on the trails out back. It was getting rather dark towards the end-around 7:40pm. That time of year is coming soon! Planning on a 20 miler for tomorrow.
      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
      Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Congrats to Jack! What an amazing amount of strength and endurance! Leslie, thank you for your suggestions on my toe. It is on the mend now and I plan to get back on track this week. I want to run a 15k in November, so I better get back on track. I hope that your knee is okay. I have a bum knee that has popped all my life. Throughout the day it will lock up and I need to snap it loose again. That is one reason why I am taking this so slowly. I worry about that knee. Keep us posted on what you hear from your MAT person. We had a cool front pass through this weekend so we will have HIGHS around 80 with low humidity all this week. It actually had that fall feel in the air today. I should have gone out for a run, but I met with some friends to play Mexican Train for a couple hours instead. I will hit the trail tomorrow for sure. Cheers! Kitrin
          Only did a quick 7.5 miles tonight. Worked the GoLite warehouse sale all weekend (insane deals) so most of the weekend was spent standing around on concrete floors fondling tons of outdoor and running gear. Not a bad way to spend a rainy weekend, though I spent 3 times what they paid me Surprised
            Ran 11 miles in 92% humidity, AGAIN. Wicked tough. 2:25. Lots of hiking the ups. Inching up the miles. Glad to hear of all your exploits.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Worked the GoLite warehouse sale all weekend (insane deals) so most of the weekend was spent standing around on concrete floors fondling tons of outdoor and running gear. Not a bad way to spend a rainy weekend, though I spent 3 times what they paid me Surprised
              Darn those sales, anyway! Big grin Sounds like everyone's still percolating right along. And nope, I didn't do housework Saturday. Watched me some chick flicks and drank Cosmos. . . . .Okay, I had 3. That's about my limit on any alcohol anymore these days, unless I really want to pay for it the next day. Hey, what can I say. I'm a cheap date!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Leslie, LOL! My sister and I are the cheapest dates I know. We will be giggly after 1/2 a drink (or a glass of wine) and I once had a single Singapore Sling that left me reeling. I am not kidding, I had trouble walking! Greg, way to go! Keep it slow and steady. The humidity or temp (or both) WILL drop eventually. Glad to hear that you are inching up those miles. I ran my hour today. Altogether, I ran close to 5 miles, I think. My toe did not give me trouble, but my knee did. I started to feel that mild ache and stiffness around the 0:55 mark. The weather was so great (41% humidity, WEEE!) and temps in the 70s that I had to tell myself to slow down several times earlier in the run. I also ran quite a bit of distance on grass next to a concrete sidewalk. The grass was a little high and I had to keep my knees up. I am not sure which factors impacted my knee, but the whole experience leads me to ask a few questions . . . I hear that I should never, never, never, try to run through an injury. When do I know it is time to stop? I felt good today in every way except my knee even after I did give up. It was so frustrating to know that I could have kept going if it were not for that one problem. Was I right to push a little to finish the last 15 minutes? Where do I go from here? I took some ibuprofen and plan to keep my legs up as much as possible today. Is it prudent to run shorter distances for a bit until I am certain that my knee will stop acting up? This same problem showed up last year regularly at the two mile mark. I consider it a victory that I have made it to nearly five before it showed up this time. However, I never could work through the two mile problem last year. I think the cure was going off of running for six months. That worries me. I look forward to the responses. I appreciate the great input I receive from all you veterans. Kitrin

Ultrachick

I think what was left of Ike blew through here last night and this morning so the humidity is gone! I got in 20 slow miles yesterday. My usual 10 mile loop at the trail center takes me about and 1:40-yesterday it was 2 hours. I forced myself to go 5 more on a couple different shorter loops and went home and did 5 more on the trails out back. I might also just be bored from running the same loop! Anyhow, some advice for Kitrin and her bum knee. This is one of those where you have to listen really good to your body-you could be right on the edge of either running through this or injuring yourself again. I say go for some shorter runs-on dirt-no pavement and hopefully you remain pain free the whole time (shorter being 30-40 min). Don't up the mileage or time-hang here while your body adapts to it. If all goes well this week, then shoot for an hour run over the weekend. If it starts to hurt again try to run through it to finish-no longer-unless it's worse then stop and walk and do what you have to do. I don't quite agree with the no running through an injury. We always have aches and pains-not every ache and pain is an injury. I've been running with a very tight hamstring all summer long. But listen to your body and do what's right for you-you can tell the differences in the pain and what you can run through and can't. That's my advice-attached is my liability waiver-please sign here................ Big grin So Chris-what did you get me at the GoLite sale? Is the box coming in the mail? Big grin Leslie-I'm right there with you on the cheap date thing-my limit is one. I'd rather eat the calories in the form of chocolate than drink them and feel awful the next day. I never feel bad after eating chocolate! Buddo nice to see a little chime in from you. How are the new shoes working? I'm still happily unemployed-I have however picked up a new personal training client this week and just got home from meeting with a trainer who has his own gym and is lookingfor trainers to work there with their clients. So we'll see where that leads. Next up is my own first 100 mile race this weekend. Keep your fingers crossed for me everyone-there is a 36 hour time limit-I'm hoping I'll be done sooner than that! Speaking of running, I guess that's what I should go get done now and get on with the rest of the afternoon. I also have my first test due in the online anatomy & physiology class I'm torturing myself with. Like I said-cross your fingers!
                  If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                    Kelly - Is this the Iroquois Trail Run? Good luck!!! I'm very excited for you! I'm assuming Jack is your crew person? Make sure he takes pictures. Kitrin - I agree with Kelly. See how your 30-40 min runs go. Keep up with the ice and Ibu if it feels inflammed. There's a different feeling between injury and just aches and pains. You may be trying to up your mileage too fast and not allowing your body time to adapt. Buddo - Nice to hear from you, Dude! How're the hips feeling?

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Howdy folks. Thanks for the considerations. The new shoes are pretty good I guess. I think the hip pain may have been more from overtraining, too much too soon. I backed off and am taking it a little more slowly, only increasing 10-20% weekly. I'm also listening to how I feel. I can run 5-6 comfortably. With the hiking mixed in though, I can push it beyond what I can do comfortably, and I think that's bad. So, I've junked all plans and am basing my training on how I feel. Got this from Karl Meltzer and David Goggins, both who say, just go run man. So, no low hr training, no barefoot. As it gets colder I may throw a block of low hr training in, also as I drop some weight. It's been cool to see how pushing the hr up high-170's- makes 150-160 feel easier than it used to. I still have a weird pain in my hip/buttocks/low back on my left side that bothers me after I run. This is an example of a maybe/maybe not injury. Could be misalignement, inflammation, not sure....Morton's Nueroma in right foot flaring up a bit. I'm falling apart! I guess I'm no spring chicken at 40 anymore. Hard to swallow. Cry Y'all take care.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Kelly and Leslie, thanks for the advice. I thought that scaling back a little bit would help. I may have to give up on the 15K in November, but I might still be ready for the 1/2 marathon (practice one) in March. I have learned over the years that I am a slow and steady person and I guess that included increasing mileage in running. Greg, I am so sorry to hear about all you physical ailments. My husband and I noticed our first "Does that hurt?" moment that was not injury related when we were still in our 20s. The decay starts early! However, people have the advantage of life experience to draw on to cope with situations when they are nearing 40. By then, we know that pains come and go and you can ignore them if you have to. Life (or the run) goes on, lol. I pretty much run according to how I feel, so welcome to the club. Kelly, GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND!!! I am sure you will do well. You have trained hard and smart. I have to keep this one short. See you all later. Kitrin
                          GOOD LUCK, KELLY, WITH YOUR FIRST 100-MILER!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

She's probably running as I type this at 8:18 am on Saturday. Sending prayers out for you Kel. Ran 15.5 miles this morning on Forbidden Drive, a crushed gravel road through a park. Wanted to put some running distance in instead of all the hiking I have to do on the trails. Averaged 11:00/mile. Real nice run. Half moon out lighting the trail real nice. Didn't see anybody till mile 12. Started at 4am. Hips only hurt for 1 mile on an uphill section. Feeling real good. Refreshed. Here's to everybody else. Good vibes to y'all..

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Greg, you are probably right about Kelly running as we type. My prayers and thoughts are going out to her as well. I am glad you had a good run this morning. The moon was FABULOUS last night, so I envy you your view. The night was so perfect last night that I was tempted to go running after the campfire cookout I attended with friends. However, I was way to tired and went home. I ran for an hour today and finished strong. I power walked ten minutes after as a cool down. I appreciate Leslie and Kelly's advice. I ran three miles on Wednesday, but had to split it up. My knee started stiffening at two miles and I almost quit. I decided that the better choice would be to power walk the rest of the hour to keep my body conditioned to the elevated heart rate for that amount of time. After about a mile, my knee was better and I took a chance on running again. I finished another mile and had no problems with toes or knees. I am VERY happy that my knee held up today. I could feel that it was not 100%, but it really never is these days, regardless of activity level. I think I am going to keep the plan of walking whenever I need to (if I need to) and putting the miles on my legs any way I can. It appears that changing to a walk, which is not much slower than my run pace Wink , and allowing my knee to recover in the middle of a run is an effective way to cope when I need it. Perhaps this problem will fade away as I earn my "running legs." I hope everyone's weekend weather is a great as ours! Kitrin
                                About 12 miles today at Fern Canyon all by my lonesome. It was really nice. Not another soul around until I was almost done. About 2 hours into the run, I passed a couple going in the other direction. About 40 minutes later, I passed 3 young men hiking in. It was quiet, overcast so cool, but not cold. Absolutely perfect. We haven't run out there in quite awhile, so I had forgotten how rolling it is, lots of roots to skip over, quite a few, well, I guess you'd call 'em corners to go around. It's not an extremely technical trail, but it's more technical the major portions of the Arcata Forest. Used my new 2-bottle set up today. It's a Go-Lite that's made specifically for a woman's form. Absolutely no bounce when running. I'll definitely be using it more than my pack. The pack will be for runs over 3 hours. My legs were really tired after the 3 hours. I was told I should be consuming about 280 calories an hour after the first hour. Consumed a total of 560 calories in solids: nothing the first hour, about 320 the second hour and the rest the third hour, and about 31 oz of fluids (GU2O and maltodextrin). I just feel like with all the training I've been doing that my legs should feel fresher, even after 3 hours. Dunno . . .

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance