Trail Runners

Welcome to the RW Refugees- Let's Introduce Ourselves (Read 676 times)

XtremeTaper

It's so great to see so many familiar faces from RW! I'm Amanda. I lived in Atlanta for the last 8 years, but moved to Chicago a few months ago. I am still adjusting to the new running terrain - besides running more road, the trails are flatter and much less technical than I was accustomed to in Atlanta. Roxie (from my username)is my dog - she doesn't run with me as much as she used to, but I take her for a few short runs per week. I've run a handful of ultras and a few marathons.

On my immediate schedule are the Tecumseh Trail Marathon (this weekend), Frozen Gnome 50k (January), and a few fat asses and shorter events (road and trail) thrown in for good measure. I'd like to tackle a 50 miler this year - so far my longest distance has been 40 miles, and 43 miles in two separate timed events. Potential 50 milers are Ice Age, Marquette, Minnesota Voyageur, and Mt. Hood.

Trail dog.. you will have to tell me about the "cool" places to trail run in Atlanta. We are still thinking about moving down there. My sister, and my wife's sister outside the loop on the west side. So far I've found Sweetwater and Clinton Reserve during my visits but those places seem crowded to this PA trail runner.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

XtremeTaper

Exteme is that a springer spaniel. We just got a springer puppy 2 months ago. We have had several before

Yep. He is our 4th springer. The Lady is a german short haired pointer. She is a lean mean running machine. The springer, he is aging a bit these days just like me.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

XT!  Did you get the note that we left on the front door?  Glad to see you over here!

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

It's so great to see so many familiar faces from RW! I'm Amanda. I lived in Atlanta for the last 8 years, but moved to Chicago a few months ago. I am still adjusting to the new running terrain - besides running more road, the trails are flatter and much less technical than I was accustomed to in Atlanta. Roxie (from my username)is my dog - she doesn't run with me as much as she used to, but I take her for a few short runs per week. I've run a handful of ultras and a few marathons.

I'm so happy that you're in Chicago now!  I can't wait to run again with you and your DBF once I am all healed up.  Roxie and Bella can have another play date as well.

Running is dumb.

RabbitChaser

Yes! I remember meeting you! What was your RW username back then? That was my first race after bruising my patella in a non-running related fall on a sidewalk.

Yeah, PsychoPsummer kicked my ass. I was dripping by mile 5 and there were a few heat exhaustion related DNFs. Toward the end I came upon a runner who was lying down in the shade at the side of the path. I helped him out, but luckily he some other runners came upon him earlier and notified aid workers. It was definitely brutal.

I was NewbieRunner72 or something like that. At PsychoPsummer, I had to walk at around the 6-7 mile point due to heat related issues. I think I started too fast in that heat. Hopefully I can try for my revenge on that course next year. I'd love to run that 50K, but it will need to wait until 2014 now.

FurShirtFlyer

So I'm a little late to the introductions but her it goes...

FurShirtFlyer aka Murph. I'm currently living in Upstate New York but the Air Force is moving me to Colorado early next year. Im 36 and been running off and on since I was a kid. I started running ultras about 3 or 4 years ago. This year has been my most productive. I completed 3 races this year. The most recent being the 50 miler at Virgil Crest. My main goal for the next year is just to increase my base and stay healthy so I can have another productive year.

Daydreamer1

Gasp, gasp, huff, huff. Whew! That was tough but I finally made here. Just another refugee from the RWOL forums. Hadn't looked there in over a week and found the place deserted today, not that I care at all.

But anyway. I live in central PA, have been a bicyclist for quite a few years and recently transitioned into trail running. I'm 47, with two teenage animals and a wife. One teenager is away at college the other is taking classes at the same college that I am. So, being employed full time, taking 10 credits a semster and trying to keep the household running cuts into my running and forum times, but I hope to be able to post here from time to time. And maybe some day I'll even have time to upload a picture.  

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Howdy.  I'm Misty & I live in Missoula, MT.  I'm one of those imports from that other website.  

I'm not necessarily a trail runner, but I live in an area where it's easy to incorporate trail running into almost every run for at least a few miles, if not the entire run.  From my home, I can access flat trails along a river, rolling, grassy hill trails, and steep, rocky mountain trails.  My 1st half was a trail run in the mountains called the Pengelly Double Dip, and I finished dead last.  I'd like to get better at trail running, and specifically mountain running, but now that we are approaching winter, I'm not really sure what to do.  Nice to meet you all.

Missoula- home to U of Montana my alma mater Smile  Hello everyone, I'm Mike- I currently live in SE Montana (prairie/bad land country), but have lived all over the entire state (Eureka, Hungry Horse, Missoula, Great Falls, Sand Coulee, Whitefish, the list goes on)

I'm a lifelong hiker/backpacker, but never a runner (until recently that is Big grin) and found myself gravitating to longer mile days and challenging day hikes (DIADs- done in a day).  A group that I interacted with on a backpacking site announced a Grand Canyon R2R2R run last fall (2011) to be run this past spring- that was all I needed to motivate me into trail running.  I didn't make the entire 42 miles, but did make it to Roaring Springs and back for 32 miles.  It was a very natural crossover (albeit with a great deal of work Big grin) to trail running and have been enjoying it since.  I've only run one race, it was a doozy- the Bridger Ridge Run.  I'm signed up to run the Uwharrie 20 this February (my brother lives in SC) and the Devil's Backbone (the Gallatin Range) this July.

Misty I plan on entering the Pengelly Double Dip as well, so a chance I'll bump into you if you enter again.

While the racing appeals to my competitive side, I think long runs with friends in epic locations is more appealing yet- we're hoping to get a Trans Zion run in late Spring/early Summer and possibly a Rae Lakes Loop in early fall.

Mike

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

MorganaRuns

Slower than you

I was NewbieRunner72 or something like that. At PsychoPsummer, I had to walk at around the 6-7 mile point due to heat related issues. I think I started too fast in that heat. Hopefully I can try for my revenge on that course next year. I'd love to run that 50K, but it will need to wait until 2014 now.

That's right! NewbieRunner. Didn't I tell you back then that you should change your name because you were certainly no longer a newbie runner?

I walked way too much at PsychoPsummer. It was a beautiful trail, but the heat and humidity just killed me. An ambulance came for one guy who exhibited all the signs of heat exhaustion at one of the aid stations.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man" - The Dude

Upcoming races: AthHalf: 10/20

RabbitChaser

That's right! NewbieRunner. Didn't I tell you back then that you should change your name because you were certainly no longer a newbie runner?

I walked way too much at PsychoPsummer. It was a beautiful trail, but the heat and humidity just killed me. An ambulance came for one guy who exhibited all the signs of heat exhaustion at one of the aid stations.

Yep, you did say I should change my name. I decided to change it after I ran a 10K in under 1hr. The new name was suggested by multiple forum members, it came from how I wrote my race reports back then.

I walked too much because the heat/humidity caused my HR to skyrocket and it took forever to go down. I still loved the race though! Smile

Howdy, all! I'm Kris and I recently moved to northern Colorado. I'm really excited to be able to run a lot more trails. Right now, I'm adjusting to having an actual winter, but hopefully I'll get the hang of it soon.

I hate to tell you, but this isn't an actual winter.  Wink  

Jane

Trail dog.. you will have to tell me about the "cool" places to trail run in Atlanta. We are still thinking about moving down there. My sister, and my wife's sister outside the loop on the west side. So far I've found Sweetwater and Clinton Reserve during my visits but those places seem crowded to this PA trail runner.

If you go south of the city, I don't find a lot of people at Pine Mountain (FDR state park).  Unless you count passing 1-2 people an hour busy.

Never run, if you want to never run, don't start because you'll never stop.

Imminent Catastrophe

Join GUTS and you'll never lack great trailruns and races. There are so many great trails in North GA, you wouldn't be disappointed.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trail Dog

Join GUTS and you'll never lack great trailruns and races. There are so many great trails in North GA, you wouldn't be disappointed.

+1 to that! I was (and technically still am through December) the membership coordinator for GUTS. If you are looking for solitude, your best bet is north GA mountains, specifically the Benton MacKaye Trail (BMT) and the Duncan Ridge Trail (DRT). Both are long trails with minimal foot traffic. Also light use in the Cohutta Wilderness. Appalachian Trail is an obvious place to start and intersects with the BMT and the DRT, but you will come across more people especially when running during the height of NOBO hiking season.

Closer to Atlanta you will see more hikers, runners, and bikers, simply because Atlanta is a major metropolitan area with a large population of active people. My favorite spots were Sope Creek (the single track up above the fitness loop at Cochran Shoals Chattahoochee River area), Kennewaw Mountain (17 mile loop of the park), and Red Top State Park (~13 mile rolling mostly single-track loop). If you join GUTS, they do two races at Sweetwater SP -- the Fat Ass 50k in early January (which is actually closer to 35 miles), and the Hot to Trot 8 hour (1 mile trail loop).

Chattanooga, TN also has great trail running, and a great trail running community.

Imminent Catastrophe

RoxieRuns is right, the BMT and DRT are great. I've run many miles on those trails and hardly ever encounter any human beings, plus they are more "runnable" than the more famous AT which, because of its fame, is more popular and crowded by sometimes surly hikers. Plus, as others have mentioned, there are so many places in all directions. The GUTS Pine Mountain 40-Miler ran today at FDR State Park, The Mystery Mountain Marathon is in October at Fort Mountain State Park...there's no shortage of trailrunning opportunities here in North Georgia. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016