Trail Runners

Trail run goals for 2008 (Read 418 times)

I know that pverall goals are being posted on the main forum, but what specific trail related ones are out there? Here are mine: * do several night runs * WS100 Training Day 1 run (a 50k) on Memorial Day Weekend * 2 (or more) other marathon or 50k lengths, one of which may be Elkhorn 50k in Montana in August * try to get a trail running/running club formed in the Auburn area
    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

I've done a few night time trail runs already this winter, and I'll probably do a few next year too. I just want to get out on the trails at least once or twice per week so that I can build up some good strength. Running in the snow takes a lot of work, but it's good for you. Race-wise, I'm planning on running the Pisgah 23k (I did the 50k in 2007) and I would like to run a few of the mountain races with the trail monsters. No definite plans yet though.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

You'll ruin your knees!

Hmmm, 1) Grand Slam (already missed this one, as I didn't get drawn in WS lottery) 2) Massanutten as a back up to Western (already missed this one, as it opened and closed in 45 minutes) 3) Get drawn for the Hardrock 2008 4) Figure out 2 other hunnerds to run (Angeles Crest, Bear, etc) 5) Return to Cactus Rose (first "repeat" of a 100) 6) ??? Will do a few other races, likely Bandera 100K in Jan, maybe the 3 Days of Sylamo (multi-day race), not sure what else at this point. Will need to stay healthy, Good luck to all ya'll... Lynn

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

t_runner

I just signed up for my big '08 goal.. my first ultra! Buckeye Trail 50K After that, the summer version of the same race, followed by a 60K in September: Indian Run
          Wingz

Professional Noob

Right now I'm just trying to train for that trail HM in April... For my last trail race, I put all my long runs on trails, and that seemed to work pretty well for me, so that's the strategy I'm following for this one.

Roads were made for journeys...

I just signed up for my big '08 goal.. my first ultra! Buckeye Trail 50K
              Good luck on your first ultra! The Buckeye is one I would like to do. You'll have to let us know what it's like.
              Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                I put all my long runs on trails, and that seemed to work pretty well for me, so that's the strategy I'm following for this one.
                I tend to do this in the winter, with the shorter daylight hours and all. I can run from my house and still be safe on the roads in the dark. But weekends/long runs I still go out on the trails.
                t_runner

Good luck on your first ultra! The Buckeye is one I would like to do. You'll have to let us know what it's like.
                  Thanks Smile I will be sure to post a report Smile I run on pieces of the course quite often, and it is really beautiful, especially in the winter! Good and hilly, plus you never know what kind of weather you'll get, so I have no time expectations, just to finish.
                    Former coolrunner known as Grego, now Buddo. I ran VT50 as my first 50 last fall. I haven't run since. My goals for next year are to lose the 20lbs I've put on since Sept., increase my mileages back to respectable levels, run two or three 50's at least and one hundred. I have my sights set on OD 100, the original, but not sure I can build the miles in time without getting injured. We'll see!

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

Hi I am new here as well. I ran my first 50 at Rocky Last year. This year my goals are Collegiate Peaks 50, Bighorn 50, and pace 50 miles of Leadville to prepare for running it the following year.
                      If you're bored ask why you're boring

You'll ruin your knees!

Hi I am new here as well. I ran my first 50 at Rocky Last year. This year my goals are Collegiate Peaks 50, Bighorn 50, and pace 50 miles of Leadville to prepare for running it the following year.
                        Welcome trail enthusiasts! Bighorn is an incredible course...be sure and take a camera! I have been there twice (50 in 2004 and 100 in 2007) and just might go back in 2008... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Goals for 2008: 1. Pirates Cove 30k, Sausalito, CA (March) 2. Forest Park 50k, Portland, OR (May) - My First Ultra!!! Shocked 3. Salt Point 50k, Jenner, CA (July) 4. Bizz Johnson Marathon, Susanville, CA (Oct) 5. Survive Nos. 2-4 6. Not fall down and bust my a$$ or break a bone 7. Not get my car broken into like 2 weekends ago (##!%*) and above all else . . . HAVE FUN!

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Goals for 2008: 1. Pirates Cove 30k, Sausalito, CA (March) 2. Forest Park 50k, Portland, OR (May) - My First Ultra!!! Shocked 3. Salt Point 50k, Jenner, CA (July) 4. Bizz Johnson Marathon, Susanville, CA (Oct) 5. Survive Nos. 2-4 6. Not fall down and bust my a$$ or break a bone 7. Not get my car broken into like 2 weekends ago (##!%*) and above all else . . . HAVE FUN!
                            No 50 milers? With all those long training runs, you could do a 50 no problem!

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

No 50 milers? With all those long training runs, you could do a 50 no problem!
                              50 miles?!?!? Shocked Shocked Shocked . . . . . . . not that it isn't in the back of my mind . . . slowly creeping its way to the front. If for no other reason than to really freak out my friends and family who are already freaked out by what I've become. I love it!! Cool Cool

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Once you see how fun the 50K is, and how easy, you will be chomping at the bit to do it. It's not that much of a jump.If you can do 50K, you can do 50 miles.