Trail Runners

shoe life (Read 199 times)

HappyFeat

So having just taken up trail running last spring, I'm wondering if you get more miles out of the trail shoes than road shoes before the insoles start breaking down? The surface being softer and all, I just wonder if the shoes structurally hold up longer?  I love my shoes (North Face) and they only have about 120 miles on them now. They could potentially last me several years at this rate.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

In my experience, it depends on the shoe.  I only got about 300 miles out of my Mizuno's road or trail.  I am currently wearing Inov-8s and am getting around 400 miles out of them.  Some people are able to wear their shoes forever.  A friend gets 500-600 miles out of the same style of Inov-8s.  When I start getting a grumpy back and knees, it's usually time to rotate in a new pair.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

HappyFeat

OK thanks for the input. I've never run in NF shoes before; so I guess I'll find out as I go along how well they hold up.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I don't like buying stuff.... so I tend to try to get a lot of miles out of my shoes.

I haven't run at all this year (boo), but I have about 930 miles on a pair of Adidas Adizero Tempos (mainly road and firm trails), 800 miles on some Mizuno Wave Inspires (road and trail) and 650 on some Mizuna Wave Mushas (again, a mix, but mainly trail).

I don't recommend trying to get 1000miles out of a pair of shoes, but it can be done.  Once they are past about 500 miles, I tend to reserve them for easier runs on softer terrain and use my newer shoes for hard / road runs.

I have no idea. I wear em until the tread is gone, then figure it's time for a new pair. I don't rely on much cushioing though as I run in more minimalist shoes.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Wandering Wally

For me I wear out the uppers long before the soles are worn out of my trail shoes.  Depending on the shoe I get 400+ miles on a pair.  Some are close to 600 and still going strong for trail use.  The trail surface I normally encounter is dirt, sand, packed sand and leaves though.  If you encounter a lot of rocks, your mileage may definitely vary.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

under a rock

It's definitely harder to tell just by looking at tread wear with trail shoes. I look for uneven compression on the mid sole and of course the uppers tend to get beat up faster than the soles. I've only had one pair go over 400 miles but that is because I've been jumping around with  shoe choices for awhile to try to find that perfect shoe that feels like home.

Irish Luck

My trail shoes wear down in a completely different pattern than my road/treadmill shoes.  I have been a wearer of Cascadias for several years (4 or 5 pairs), and the front tread wears down MUCH faster than the tread below my heels. In fact, it appears like it is un-touched. I tend to run on my toes when on trails. 

My road/treadmill shoes wear down a bit more evenly, as I tend to strike the mid-foot first. 

I use trail shoes on technical trails only and my road/treadmill shoes on roads (duh), treadmills (double duh), and rail-to-trail runs. 

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

for right or for wrong, I ditch my shoes after 500 miles- don't actually ditch them, but they are relegated to other duties

appearance wise they still look good at 500 miles- some tread wear, some fraying, but overall pretty decent

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √