Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - May 2011 (Read 305 times)

The MRI - It's not a stress fracture, rather a torn tendon.  Not torn really bad, but nonetheless . . .

So I'm still on crutches (just ended Wk 6), but I can start adding a little bit of pressure to the foot.  Doc is hoping I'm putting 50% pressure on my foot by the time I see him again on the 27th.  Still doing the contrast baths and nerve stimulation, and I've seen definite improvement in the nerve issue in the last week.  Circulation is still a problem, but I'm hoping that as I add pressure, circulation will improve.

In the meantime, I leave on the 18th for a conference in Los Angeles.  I've ordered up a wheelchair for my flights. Roll eyes

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

under a rock

Sorry to hear you will be wheelchair bound at the airport! Hope you heal up well.

I'm finally back on the trails on a regular basis. The local mtn bike trails that I used to really like when I needed a nearby difficult trail to run are opened up again and are just as tough, if not tougher, as before. I'm building up my mileage super slow and started using my heart rate monitor on my easy days to make sure they stay easy. I'm keeping my races short this year and have no plans on racing longer than 13.1 for a long time. I'm tired of dealing with IT band issues when I go longer, so I'll keep it short and keep me happy.

Sounds like you have a good solid plan, Fraggle.  Keeping fingers crossed your IT band issues stay resolved.

Re having to use a wheelchair at the airport - hey, it'll get me and my traveling bud VIP service! Big grin

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Damn! Step out and look wht happens. What th he'll happened fatty?

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Well!  Look who decided to make an appearance!!  Where ya been, dude?  Things are pretty quiet around here, although it's picked up over on the ultra thread.

What Did I Do - Good question.  Had a good 50k in the Marin Headlands on February 19.  Had a fantastic run on virtually the same course on March 19, and promptly injured myself on March 26.  Was running a really sweet, albeit rocky, downhill on a training run when my foot felt like my shoe was too tight.  Long story short - tore a tendon in the top of my foot.  Not a really bad tear, but a tear nonetheless.  I was training for the Leona Divide 50-Miler.  Needless to say, I didn't run it, and all plans for the entire year have been flushed down the proverbial toilet.

I'm currently in Week 9 of crutches and am hoping at my next doc appt (Tues, 31st) I get to ditch 'em.  I have a feeling it's going to be quite awhile before I get to try to run again.

What's been up with you?

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

wanderingoutlaw

Leslie, sorry the injury is as bad as it is.

I have managed two trail runs during May.  Last week I ran an easy trail that's a few miles from the house.  The trails been temporarily closed for a few months, and they finally posted a reason on the trail manager's website: timber removal on a certain portion of the trail.  Based on the area indicated, I figured I could still get an eight mile run in with little problem--a two mile out and back one direction and a two mile out and back in the other direction from the trail access.  Unfortunately, the logging is a little more extensive and I could only run about a half mile in each direction before turning around due to either too much logging debris or to being unable to find the trail.  I managed five miles anyway.  And ended up with sap covered feet for a couple of days.

And on Saturday, I ran a 10k course on a different easy trail.  My feet aren't quite ready to go back on the rockier, rootier trail that I sometimes run or race at.

John

John - Sap = Great Traction. Smile

Doc Appt - He was happy with the progress I've made.  I was totally honest with him about my trial walk on Monday and how things went, so he left it up to me to determine how/when, etc., with regard to eliminating the crutches.  Like he said, if I do something and it irritates things, back off.  I go back in 6 weeks for another progress update.  I asked him how long he thought it would be before I could run.  He said we have to take it month to month, but September at the earliest sounds about right.  Everything I've read about tendon tears says it's a 6-8 month recovery period, and September 26 will be the 6-month mark.

I'm not gonna push it.  I can get around on one crutch pretty good for doing housework, etc., which is a big help.  Two crutches if I want to move at any speed.  Once I can walk without any pain, I plan to hit the trails again to work on my power walking.  Until then, it's still pool running and stationary biking.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

Leslie, with a September start date, you're right on track for Miwok! 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Big grin

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

Love the avatar!

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Imminent Catastrophe

Leslie, how's it going with the foot? I just did my first trail run since May (on the Wildwood in Portland, where I got injured) and it felt amazing. Hang in there!