Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - 2010, Get your feet wet! (Read 685 times)

Happy

Happy 2010! -  is it twenty ten? or 2thousand10? Your choice - I love it and I think it's going to be a good year on the trails.

_

I have been exploring some new to me trail systems over the Holidays - not enough time to get away from family and work but it's better than nothing. I feel good about finally having gone out there and dared to do something new. It's very beautiful and peaceful there and the trails are more challenging than what I'm used to. They remind more of the trails that I raced my trial 50K on in Lynch's Wood and my actual first 50K in the Sumter Forest near Augusta, GA. This is going to be a good place for me to get some more race specific runs in as I prepare for the 24 hour trail run in Lynch's Wood in April. I think I want to make it my goal to run 50 miles or run for 12 hours whichever comes first.       Going for 24 hours is not in the picture since I am so new to the longer distances. I don't want to go out there and kill myself or the joy and adventure of trail running by taking on too much too soon. In fact, I am not sure that I should aim at 50 miles or 12 hours yet. I will see how the spring runs go for me: Will I be able to get enough long-runs on my legs to feel confident that I am well prepared? Staying healthy and not injuring myself by overdoing the mileage are still important and difficult issues. This being said, I am actually having a good time with my running and I think I have had a good consistent fall w/o injuries.

_

I think this is as close as I can come to New Year resolutions. You guys have some better resolutions than that, right?!!

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Happy New Year, Folks -

Good resolutions, Flower.  It'll be fun to watch your progress over the next year.

22 trail miles today, with the first 17 total agony for Karen.  For once it was she who made the HUGE mistake and not me.  And yes, I've taken a bit of glee from the situation . . . and she knows it.   She did a hard strength training on Thurs, ran her 10 miles yesterday instead of tomorrow AND didn't refuel well yesterday, and was totally dying toward the end of the 17.  She gutted those out though, which made me quite proud of the ole gal.   Needless to say, the first 17 took a bit of time, and I ended up completing the whole 22 in 5:59:49.  Yes, UNDER 6 hrs.  Barely under, but I'm taking it.

When her sister was here at Christmas, she taught Karen a new way of climbing hills when walking.  It seems like it's going to help take a lot of strain off the calves, which is going to be very nice.  I do think, however, that I slightly strained a muscle in the bottom of my foot, so it's off to ice, ice, baby.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Happy

Sounds like you are getting very smart and very fit, Leslie - oh, and Karen must be a very tough training partner; she just didn't want not to be there for you on your long-run. Might have, should have skipped the 10 miler or the tough strength workout the day before. As I recall you too do strength workouts, right Leslie? I have all but given up on strength training and/or cross training. For me it usually results in taking something away from my runs because I am tired or sore while recovering from it. Recently I have started to do push-ups off my counter tops at the house. That's not at tough as doing full push-ups on the floor but they still strengthen the entire upper body and core. They are fast to do too - I do several sets while getting dressed and brushing teeth etc. Last time I tried leg stregth work I ended up with very tender knees - I did lunges and steps-ups onto a bench/box. ( may have done too many sets without gradually letting my body adapt.

_

Thanks for the support on the 2010 goals.

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

under a rock

I did a 9 mile trail run this morning with a friend in way too cold for me temps, 15* when I pulled out of my drive to head out to the trails. I was surprised at how well I handled the cold. We kept it at an easy pace, at my friends pace, and I felt like I could have done at least another mile. I'm now cooking some chili for dinner perfect for a extra chilly day.

I'm looking forward to a year of trail racing. I'm doing a trail half in Feb and doing the SC Xterra Race series. I was really excited to find out that Xterra will have a NC series but it won't start until later in the year and two are local. If all goes well at the half in Feb I'm going to try to find one a month to do this spring. I've got April and May covered but am still looking for a March one that won't require long travel. I like to do races that are within about a 2 hour radius so I can just get up early and drive in the morning instead of paying for a hotel. Hopefully if I keep my eye on the calendars one nearby will pop up.

Hi there!  Been lurking on this group for a while...

I got bitten by the trail running/ultra bug last year big-time, but towards the end of last year, I got burned out just as life started getting in the way big-time and I've just started to emerge from all the stress with lots of races planned for the new year.  Did a mediocre 8-mile trail run today (at least it had some worthwhile hills) in the cold (not for some of you, but cold for Alabama). 

In 2010, I'm doing my first ever 12- hour race in March (Delano Park) followed by my first ever 24-hour in April (Lynch's Woods).  Otherwise, I'm mostly sticking to 50Ks, at least for the first half of the year.  I ran 3 in 2009, and completely fell apart in the first 2 of them.  In the 3rd, I hadn't been training and I didn't really try very hard (walked anything vaguely uphill) and ended up beating my PR, NOT falling apart at all, and generally having a very good time.  I think my ultra running goal for 2010 is to stop trying to win (so totally not going to happen anyway) and try to have fun during the races.  And meet lots of nice trail runners.

Sure, I'll also try to PR in my road races, but my heart is with the trail races and that's where my training focus will lie.

I hope I will get to meet some folks on here at some of the SC Ultra series races!   I'll be at Lynch's Woods, Chattooga River and Enoree Passage for sure.

Happy

Runslikeagirl, - is that a running skirt in the picture? Very Scottish looking!!

_

Jendelush, welcome to the site - good to see new faces.

---

I ran inside (shame on me; I like the hamster wheel) this morning. 9 miles total - gradual warmup until at tempo pace/2miles. Walk and drink, then 2 x 2 miles at tempo pace with walk recovery break between. After that it was easy running with 20 sec speedy leg turnover x 8-10 with full active recovery between. 1 mile easy for cool down.

Loved it!!

___ Yesterday I found this little article written by Matt Fitzgerald, which inspired me and "set me on fire"; I hope it will have a similar effect on you, enjoy!!________

Anaerobic Training For Runners

by Matt Fitzgerald

Adding anaerobic training to your regimen will keep you healthy.

Written By: Matt Fitzgerald

Some runners have funny ideas about the meaning of the word “anaerobic”. It’s not their fault, though, because even many exercise physiologists harbor an outdated understanding of aerobic and anaerobic metabolism. Often I hear athletes talk about “going anaerobic” when their running intensity exceeds the anaerobic or lactate threshold, which is a moderately high but not extremely high intensity—one that most fit individuals can sustain for a full hour. This expression—“going anaerobic”—reflects an incorrect belief that the working muscles get their energy either entirely aerobically or entirely anaerobically, whereas in fact they almost always get their energy from both systems simultaneously, with the balance shifting gradually from aerobic toward anaerobic as exercise intensity increases. And indeed, exercise intensity must increase far above the lactate threshold before the muscles even get a majority of their energy anaerobically. If you were to run as far as you could in two minutes (in other words, as hard as you could for two minutes), your muscles would get about half of their energy aerobically during that effort.
              This much is understood by most exercise scientists. But what all too many of these professionals don’t know is that most of what is classified as anaerobic metabolism is actually just incomplete aerobic metabolism. Recent research has shown that roughly 75 percent of the lactate that is produced through the anaerobic breakdown of glucose is further broken down aerobically within the muscles cells to release energy. The rest is shuttled to other organs and tissues, where it is either broken down aerobically to supply energy or converted back into glucose for future aerobic breakdown.

If anaerobic glycolysis is reclassified as incomplete aerobic glycolysis, as it should be, then virtually the only truly anaerobic metabolism that occurs in the muscles is the breakdown of high-energy phosphates. This type of metabolism becomes predominant only at the very highest exercise intensities, such as during 100-meter sprints.

While true anaerobic metabolism has only a tiny place in running, anaerobic fitness—or speed and power—is critical to distance running performance. The average runner thinks of factors such as VO2max, fat-burning capacity and running economy as being the keys to running performance and tends to forget about pure speed. But if you set aside your prejudices and look at the speed of world-class distance runners, you will see that pure speed is at least as important as the other performance keys. The typical 2:11 marathoner is capable of running a sub-48-second 400m. Folks, that is flying!

Research confirms the importance of pure speed to distance running performance. A study by Finnish researchers found that 20m sprint times were nearly as powerful a predictor of 5000m race times as VO2max. Studies by the same group have demonstrated that explosive power training effectively improves distance-running performance.

It may seem strange that anaerobic training enhances distance-running performance when there is virtually no anaerobic component to actual distance racing, but it’s true. The primary reason appears to be that anaerobic training increases the bounciness of the stride, so that the feet come off the ground faster and more forcefully. This improves running economy, because half of the energy that propels forward motion during running is supplied not by the body but by the force of impact, and the less time the feet are in contact with the ground, the less of that free energy is lost.

In short, for runners the point of performing types of training that involve anaerobic metabolism is not to developing anaerobic metabolic capacity but rather to increase the speed and power characteristics of the muscle fibers.

Therefore, true anaerobic efforts deserve a bigger place in your training than they have in your races. There are three specific types of anaerobic training that you should be sure to include in your training regimen: sprints, plyometrics and weightlifting.

Sprinting

It’s amazing how few runners ever run at full speed—I mean full speed, the way you ran virtually every time you ran as a kid. All-out sprinting is not only exhilarating, as every six-year-old knows, but it is also great training, even for distance runners. Sprint training increases stride power and running economy, benefits that transfer all the way down to marathon speed and below. Sprinting also forces your body to confront the technical limiters in your stride, resulting in better form.

A little sprinting goes a long way. Elite coach Brad Hudson has his athletes perform a set of 4-12 steep hill sprints of 8-10 seconds once a week after an easy run. The steep hill serves to reduce the risk of hamstring and Achilles tendon injuries. This is about all the sprinting you ever need to do, except at times when increasing your raw speed is a major fitness priority, when you will also want to perform repeated flat sprints of 100 to 300 meters, also once a week. Start with shorter sprints and extend them gradually over several weeks in order to first increase your maximum speed and then blend your new speed with endurance.

Plyometrics

Developed in the 1960s by Eastern Bloc sports coaches, plyometrics consists primarily of jumping exercises designed to enhance the power of the legs. Studies have shown that adding a small amount of plyometrics to the training regimen of endurance athletes improves performance. A 2003 study by Australian researchers found that the addition of plyometrics to the training of high-level runners for six weeks resulted in an average 2.7-percent improvement in 3K race times.

An example of a good plyometrics exercise for runners is the single-leg box jump. Stand on your left foot facing a sturdy platform 12 to 18 inches high (such as stacked aerobics steps). Bend your left leg, swing your arms back then forward to generate momentum, and jump up onto the platform landing on your left foot. Do not allow your right foot to touch the platform. Immediately jump back down, also landing on your left foot. Continue jumping for 30 seconds with the left leg, then switch to the right.

Few runners care to make time to add plyometrics workouts to their training regimen. But you don’t have to. As an alternative, incorporate some single-leg running into one or two of the runs you’re already doing every week. Start by running on just your right leg for 10 strides and then on just your left leg for 10 strides. Gradually increase the number of strides you do on each leg until you reach 30 strides per leg. You will notice that it gets easier to go longer on one leg, which is a sign that your legs are adapting to the stress and your stride is becoming more efficient.

Weightlifting

As with sprinting and plyometrics, a little weightlifting goes a long way for runners. If you select your exercises well and really get after them, you can gain significant performance benefits from just three, 15-minute weightlifting sessions per week.

The mistake that many runners make is going too light with their loads. There is a common misconception among runners that they should use lighter loads and greater numbers of repetitions than others do because, after all, they are endurance athletes. But the point of going to the gym is not to get more of what you are already getting from your endurance training. Distance running does not build strength. Building strength enhances running performance in a way that distance running cannot match. The most effective way to build strength is with heavy loads. Runners should lift heavy loads!

Studies prove it. For example, in a recent study by Norwegian researchers, a group of 17 runners experienced a 21-percent increase in aerobic endurance after doing heavy barbell half-squats for eight weeks. How heavy? The runners did four sets of just four repetitions with their 4RM max load—that is, with the greatest amount of weight that each runner could lift four times.

Here’s an effective total-body strength workout for runners that includes just four exercises and takes no more than 15 minutes to complete.

Heavy Barbell Squat – 3 sets

Cable Low-High Pull* – 1 set pulling left to right, 1 set pulling right to left

*Stand with your left side facing a cable pulley station with the handle fixed at ankle height and pull the handle upward and across your body with both arms in a movement that somewhat resembles shoveling snow.

Single-Arm Dumbbell Snatch – 1 set with each arm

Cable Low-High Pull** – 1 set pulling left to right, 1 set pulling right to left

** Stand with your left side facing a cable pulley station with the handle fixed at head height and pull the handle downward and across your body with both arms in a movement that somewhat resembles chopping wood.

under a rock

Runslikeagirl, - is that a running skirt in the picture? Very Scottish looking!! 
                Yep, it's from runningskirts.com, they have a new line of plaid skirts. I absolutely love my runningskirts.com skirts. The only time I wear something else is when it's too cold for bare legs and even then I put a skirt on over my tights. I've gotten spoiled with the generous pockets, one on each hip.

Hey All -

Welcome, Jen.  We have a nice group going here.

Flower - Yes, Karen should have either not done her strength training on Thursday or kept her runs to Sat/Sun.  It always sucks to learn those lessons.

As far as cross and strength training, personally I feel both are very important for runners, especially strength training.  I haven't had time to read that whole article you posted, but I'm glad to see he's saying yes to strength training.  It really does make a difference.  Running is a whole body sport, therefore, your entire body needs to be strengthened.  We (Karen and I) do cross/strength training 2x a week, run 3x a week, and have 2 days of rest.  It used to be 1 day of rest, but I have found that the extra day really makes a difference for me.  Rest days: Mon, Fri; X/Strength: Tues/Thurs; Run: Wed, Sat, Sun.

My cross training is stationary biking.  My strength training was free weights, but I recently started using the TRX training system.  I can already tell that it is doing more for my core than any other core exercises I've ever done.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...---...

... my first ever 24-hour in April (Lynch's Woods).  

I hope I will get to meet some folks on here at some of the SC Ultra series races!   I'll be at Lynch's Woods, Chattooga River and Enoree Passage for sure.

Same here, Jen. This is going to be a ground breaking year for me as well. I signed up for all of Terri's races in the SC Ultra series this year plus SweetH2O 50K. I've paid for them all, so I'm committed - knock on wood I stay healthy. I'm not sure what goal I'll shoot for in the 24 hour run but it'll be something I haven't done before. Looking forward to seeing you there. 

-

Aside from doing Goofy in a few days, and maybe San Francisco again this summer, screw the road. I've finally found groups of runners here and there (within a 90 mile radius of me) that do trails runs most weekends. I can thank the Ultra List for that. 

-

Finally - if any of you find me on facebook, feel free to drop in. I'm trying to level the ratio of runner friends to non-runner friends. The non-runners just don't understand.

-

Happy New year everyone.

--

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=1585536253

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Happy

Yep, it's from runningskirts.com, they have a new line of plaid skirts. I absolutely love my runningskirts.com skirts. The only time I wear something else is when it's too cold for bare legs and even then I put a skirt on over my tights. I've gotten spoiled with the generous pockets, one on each hip.

Wow, I looked at the website - those plaid skirts are very cool - I love how bold they are and they enhance the beauty of your long slender legs. I have no running skirts - I feel like I don't need the extra layer of fabric; I really like running shorts and I am generally slow to change and try new "technology". Maybe one day.  Now that I have seen the website I realize you are also wearing the compression socks from runningskirts.com. How do you like the compression socks? Do you wear them while running or after running for recovery? 

Happy

Same here, Jen. This is going to be a ground breaking year for me as well. I signed up for all of Terri's races in the SC Ultra series this year plus SweetH2O 50K. I've paid for them all, so I'm committed - knock on wood I stay healthy. I'm not sure what goal I'll shoot for in the 24 hour run but it'll be something I haven't done before. Looking forward to seeing you there. 

-

Aside from doing Goofy in a few days, and maybe San Francisco again this summer, screw the road. I've finally found groups of runners here and there (within a 90 mile radius of me) that do trails runs most weekends. I can thank the Ultra List for that. 

-

Finally - if any of you find me on facebook, feel free to drop in. I'm trying to level the ratio of runner friends to non-runner friends. The non-runners just don't understand.

-

Happy New year everyone.

--

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=1585536253

Trey - Hi,

I noticed in the old thread that you have a Nathan #020 Hydration Pack now - I am curious as to how you like it?

It sounds like you have a great year ahead of you in terms of races - action packed and fun filled. Very challenging. I know I will see you at some of UltraTerri's events in South Carolina over the summer. You mentioned that you are going to run the SweetH2O 50K - I hadn't heard about it but checked the web site and I realize it is right outside of Atlanta; there is a possibility that I will be able to schedule this run - are you sure it is on April 3? There is some confusion there as they say registration cost goes up after May 30; this is probably just a mistake?! I think it would be a good preparation for the Lynch's Wood 24 hr but it may be too close? I am such a newbie to running these distances that I don't know how to prepare myself for them. Lynch's Wood is only 14 days later. What are your thoughts about this?

under a rock

Wow, I looked at the website - those plaid skirts are very cool - I love how bold they are and they enhance the beauty of your long slender legs. I have no running skirts - I feel like I don't need the extra layer of fabric; I really like running shorts and I am generally slow to change and try new "technology". Maybe one day.  Now that I have seen the website I realize you are also wearing the compression socks from runningskirts.com. How do you like the compression socks? Do you wear them while running or after running for recovery? 

I actually find the skirts cooler than wearing shorts. You get a good breeze that shorts don't allow. I love that they make my legs look slender, cover up just enough of the wider area at the top of my thighs. I was very hesitant to try them but the ladies of the LLR group sang the praises of skirts so much that I tried them. Before I had only tried skirts with compression shorts but they drove me nuts. The brief of the runningskirts is just like what you have with running shorts so they are great and no worry about your shorts riding up into your crotch, which is always so attractive and comfy

I really like the compression socks. I had been using Zensah leg sleeves but I like the socks better. I just tried my pair of Sugoi compression socks for the first time today and I think I like my runningskirts socks better, especially the price. So far the longest I've done in them in 9 miles, I'm curious to see how they will do on longer runs and in warmer weather.  I wear mine to run and have really liked them, just enough of a hug to feel good and they keep my ankles and calves scrape free.

under a rock

-

LOL, I've been thinking the same thing, I need more runners on my FB.

I wish I thought I'd be up for an ultra this year so I could try one of Terri's runs since they aren't too far away. I'm still slowly working on my base so I'll have to think about those for 2011.

...---...

Flower and others - The "executive summary" highlights are in bold if you're in a hurry. 

The Nathan 020 is a sweet ride. Very comfortable, the web-harness displaces weight evenly. One complaint though, the drinking tube latch allows the tube to wiggle free sometimes. But I'm working on a solution to secure the tube better. Maybe with velcro or something.  

--

SweetH2O dates: Based on my payment confirmation/registration confirmation from Active.com, April 3 is the date of the event. I'm not sure they have the site completely up-to-date.

--

I was on the fence for a while about scheduling SweetH2O with having already committed to Lynch's 24 hr. But so many people I know from Lynch's last year are doing it and I couldn't resist missing out on the fun. So, I'm approaching this with 2 possible outcomes:

1. SweetH2O would be a good event to vault myself into doing more than 50K at Lynch's. I'm toying around with attempting 50 miles, my age, at least, is a target for sure (42). I'm new to this whole >26.2 thing as well so I'm not sure if 2 weeks recovery is enough. I'm basing my recovery on how I felt after Lynch's 50K  last Sept. - tired, but not sore - and having followed that with a hilly marathon 3 weeks later. I know marathons are different but I think that experience is enough where I can tale it to the next level. We'll see. I'm certainly excited to try. 

2. If I'm trashed after SweetH2O and am slower to recover, Terri requires "only" a 50K at Lynch's Woods 24 hr. for it to count. With such a large window of time, I feel I could walk a 50K if I had to. Besides, several of the trail runners I know and occasionally run with will be there. How can I resist?

All contingent that I don't get injured, of course. But we wont talk about such things ;-) 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

The Nathan 020 is a sweet ride. Very comfortable, the web-harness displaces weight evenly. One complaint though, the drinking tube latch allows the tube to wiggle free sometimes. But I'm working on a solution to secure the tube better. Maybe with velcro or something.  

I have two Nathan packs and I love them both. I think the 020 is one of them, but basically I have a 1.5 L and a 2.0 L. I use the 1.5 most of the time, but the 2.0 comes in handy for long unsupported sections or runs in the summer. I bought it for Chattooga Rover last year, actually, and it came in very handy for the first and last 10 miles where there are no aid stations. I brought Camelbak Omega reservoirs for them both, which work great, and I vastly prefer the Camelbak bite valve.

SweetH2O dates: Based on my payment confirmation/registration confirmation from Active.com, April 3 is the date of the event. I'm not sure they have the site completely up-to-date.

--

I was on the fence for a while about scheduling SweetH2O with having already committed to Lynch's 24 hr. But so many people I know from Lynch's last year are doing it and I couldn't resist missing out on the fun. So, I'm approaching this with 2 possible outcomes:

1. SweetH2O would be a good event to vault myself into doing more than 50K at Lynch's. I'm toying around with attempting 50 miles, my age, at least, is a target for sure (42). I'm new to this whole >26.2 thing as well so I'm not sure if 2 weeks recovery is enough. I'm basing my recovery on how I felt after Lynch's 50K  last Sept. - tired, but not sore - and having followed that with a hilly marathon 3 weeks later. I know marathons are different but I think that experience is enough where I can tale it to the next level. We'll see. I'm certainly excited to try. 

Sweetwater is the one race I have on my calendar for the Spring that I haven't registered for yet. I have two ultras in February (Black Warrior and Cheaha) and then the 12 hour (Delano) and another 50K (Oak Mountain) in March and I'm trying to decide if it would be a helpful training run or just added stress. I'd like to hit at least 100K at Lynch's Woods.