Trail Runners

Question to trail runners who wear road shoes on the trails (Read 459 times)

Happy

Another shoe question:

Does anyone here run in the Montrail Hardrock? Or the Inov-8 roclite? (female)

I currently run trails in the Brooks Cascadia but I am not 100% thrilled with the support it provides. Need a little more protection for the toes (bumping into roots and rocks) and perhaps a tad more cushion or support for the longer runs on single track. One of the things I like about the Brooks Cascadia is how low the heel is - I don't twist my ankles in them. However, I also feel the lowness of the heel puts a lot of stress on the achilles and heel. Perhaps I will develop a stronger more recilient heel/achilles over time? What do you think? 

I am relatively new to running trails. I would appreciat any advice.

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Imminent Catastrophe

I run in Inov-8 Terrocs. The low heel, good toe and foot protection are all good for trailrunning. Heel cushioning is not as big a deal in a trail shoe, if you're pounding your heels hard you might be overstriding. Developing your achilles and calf muscles would be a good thing!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Happy

I run in Inov-8 Terrocs. The low heel, good toe and foot protection are all good for trailrunning. Heel cushioning is not as big a deal in a trail shoe, if you're pounding your heels hard you might be overstriding. Developing your achilles and calf muscles would be a good thing!

Yes, developing the achilles and calf muscles would be a good thing - working on it! 

Thanks for the thumbs up on the Inov-8 shoes. Had I not run Lynch's Wood I would not have known that I need a shoe with better toe protection. I kicked both feet into roots and other hidden obstacles on several occasions - nearly tripped many times and took a tumble once. I think I might loose a nail on one toe - it was/is bruised. 

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

I just purchased my first pair of Inov-8 roclites and am in the breaking in phase.  I've worn Mizumo and Vasque up 'til now and wanted another pair of Vasquez, but the style has changed, and I had a hard time finding the right size without constantly having to send it back.

My first two runs in the Inovs were too long, so my feet were killing me.  I'm hoping to do 10 in them this weekend to see how they treat my feet now.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Florida

Keep in mind I'm not a real serious trail runner.  I do love the trails though. 

My shoe brand of choice has been New Balance for many years.  So I have a pair of 809 trail shoes that have served well during trail races up to 50K.  Cool or hot, doesn't matter much to me - I haven't noticed a difference.  I suspect gaiters make more of a difference when it comes to grit and sand but would like to hear others' thoughts on that as I'm considering purchasing some.  When I ran gaiterless during last year's Moab Ultimate XC 50K, I had to remove my socks on two occasions as the sand packed in and became uncomfortable.

On the other hand, at Jay, I ran in whatever my current road NB's were because I wanted the additional contact area what with all of the creek running...and at Black Mountain I did the same because early portions of the course were on road.  In both cases I had no difficulty with the trails that I could blame on my road shoes - which is not to say I had no difficulty!

Ultrachick

I run in the Hardrocks with orthotics and like them a lot.  I just got a new pair and they are great!  They are lighter than my old pair from last year which is a good improvement.  The toe protection is good and the bottoms are beefy enough my feet don't get sore from running a lot on rocky terrain.  I ran my first 100 miler in my Hardrocks lasy year however this year I'm planning on wearing Brooks ASRs but will have the Hardrocks handy because I'm worried I'll feel every rock and root after a while in the ASRs..  The ASRs are my other trail shoes for when the terrain is a mix of trails and roads.  The Hardrocks are not the most comfortable on long dirt road miles.    
              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Imminent Catastrophe

Something I noticed about my Inov-8's--they're a little bit longer (more toe room, which is good for steep descents), but I seem to catch the toes more than in regular shoes. Or maybe it's just that I'm running a lot more technical terrain when I wear them. Anyone else?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Happy

Fatozzig, - please, keep us updated on how you feel after the 10-miler in the Roclites.

Ultrachick, thanks for the positive review of the Hardrocks - makes me want to run out and buy a pair. Are they very warm? I get hot feet and I live in the South so I like shoes that are well ventilated  - I run in lite/thin socks too. What is the Brooks ASR? I thought their only trail shoe was the Cascadia? 

PerfessorR, does your Inov Terroc have a roomy toe box? Maybe you can lace the shoe a little tighter in the front to prevent sliding forward in them while on steep descends?

Happy

I got a great deal on a pair of Montrail Hardrock shoes online so I made a decision. I will be receiving them in the mail about the time when I will have recovered enough from Lynch's Wood to start training again. I'll let you know how I like them. Thanks so much for your help in making this choice.

Decision on Roclites - I don't like them.  I did the last 7 miles of my run in them, and after about 3-4 miles, my ankles and feet were killing me.  I feel like I can feel every single rock I step on.  The base of the shoe isn't as wide as my Mizunos, and they feel less stable, and I could tell that the areas of my feet where I'm blister-prone, these shoes are going to create real problems.

My running buddy, who has been running in last year's model, is gonna give 'em a shot (they're 1/2 a size larger than she normally wears), and if she likes them, she'll buy them from me.  I'm going back to my Mizunos.  If ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance