Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly -June (Read 274 times)

under a rock

Now that the month is almost over it's time to start a thread for it!

I ran a 5k trail race in Rock Hill SC yesterday. I finally got into the top three ladies, in fact I was first place female! It was uncomfortable most of the race but it was worth it. Got a full report here if anyone is interested. I'm even on the front page of the sports section in the local paper in Rock Hill. There was a guy in front of me most of the race, finished 20 seconds before me, that was barefoot. He did a great job and I enjoyed watching his foot work. It made me think of Wanderingoutlaw and how he was doing.

Hope everyone is enjoying the heat as much as possible and that Leslie is working on healing up!

Congratulations on the 1st female, Fraggle!  Way to push yourself.  Loved the report.

I am healing, slowly but surely.  I just finished my 2nd full week without crutches, so they are officially retired and will soon be resting comfortably in the attic.  I power walked about 1.5 miles today, which basically was okay, but I shouldn't have walked around barefoot the rest of the afternoon.  My foot is telling me I pushed it just a tad too far.  That's okay, though.  It gives me a good reason to sit around on my butt the rest of the day.

My goal is that by the time my buddy, Karen, gets back from vacation in 2 weeks, I'll be able to power walk for an hour pain-free.  'Cause once I reach that goal, I can slowly start adding running back into my routine.  I have absolutely no plans to push things and will take them as they come.  My only goal is to be able to run the Desert High 50k in December.  We'll see!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

under a rock

Glad to hear you are mending well. Hope you can meet your December goal!

wanderingoutlaw

Congratulations, Ashley!

I looked at the results and don't know the barefooter.  I've only seen one other barefooter in SC and met another guy at the end of a trail race in April that said he was starting to barefoot (but don't know his name).

One of these days maybe we'll be able to meet at a trail race in the upstate.  I've run a few road races in the Greenville area but haven't ventured to any trail races up there yet.

Leslie, I'm glad to see you're continuing to heal.  It's terrific that you're off the crutches now and are even power-walking.

John

Congratulations, Ashley!

I looked at the results and don't know the barefooter.  I've only seen one other barefooter in SC and met another guy at the end of a trail race in April that said he was starting to barefoot (but don't know his name).

One of these days maybe we'll be able to meet at a trail race in the upstate.  I've run a few road races in the Greenville area but haven't ventured to any trail races up there yet.

Leslie, I'm glad to see you're continuing to heal.  It's terrific that you're off the crutches now and are even power-walking.

Yes.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

under a rock

Congratulations, Ashley!

I think the barefoot guy was from Charlotte, #150.

I like the Paris Mtn trail races in Greenville, just under 2 hr drive for me. I'm hoping to do the 15k in November. Other than the race last weekend and Paris Mtn I don't usually go to SC for races. If I plan on going to one in SC I'll let you know.

Imminent Catastrophe

Congrats Ashley, and Leslie, I'm glad you're continuing to improve. 

I'm being really careful with the ankle, and plan to limp through Peachtree on Monday. I'm still aiming for Le Grizz in October.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Hi, Folks -

Prof - Be careful with that ankle.  You don't want to end up sidelined for an extended period of time like little ole me.

Power-walked 1.5 miles this evening.  The injured area did better than last week, it's still the muscles having to adjust, which is something I never anticipated.  I've adjusted my personal requirements to be able to run - power walk for no less than an hour on the trails in the Community Forest with no problems.  That'll be harder than walking the road.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Yo from Philly. Been absent here for awhile obviously. Sorry to hear about your foot. Hope you heal well and find other good things to do in the meantime. I've been focusing on marathon training for the last few months. I ran steadily almost every day since the end of January, running slowly. Three months ago I started ramping up the intensity a bit, adding intervals, hill sprints, and tempo runs and eliminating all walking from my long runs. Running mostly on the roads. This week is a recovery week and I set a new PR for 5k (only my second 5k though). Five years ago I ran a 5k in 24:05. I ran the same course today in 21:04. The first year my splits went 7:00, 8:00, 9:00. Today went 7:20, 7:20, 6: 24. 

So, training for a hilly trail marathon in Sept, then 10 weeks later the Philly Marathon as my first real marathon. Shooting for 3:45, though I think I could do better. I dunno. That's about it. Life is hectic with 5 kids (I added a foster to adopt baby to my clan). Running when I can. Heard from Kelly? 

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Hey Buddo - Sounds like your running is going really well for you.  Fantastic!  And another little rugger?  You must be a glutton for punishment. Wink

Haven't heard from Kelly in a long time.  I need to email her and see how life's treating her.

40 min of stationary cycling this a.m., followed by bean crockpotting, housecleaning, furniture and plant moving, and vacuum fixing.  The back is exhausted, but I worked out some frustrations and changed things up a bit.  Was gonna wash the car, but that will probably have to wait 'til tomorrow.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

8 miles at 9:30 pace today. McMillan race calculator puts my marathon time at 3:30 based on my 5k I just completed. Was shooting for a 3:45, but I may move it up a bit. Me, me, me.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Sunday I went for a 4-mile power walk in one of my  most favorite of all places, the Headwaters Forest Preserve.  Everything went great and I even ran a little bit.  Not more than 5 minutes total over 3-4 miniature sessions, but EZ running nonetheless and I was tickled to death.  My hips and the muscles in my foot were barking at me a bit later in the day, but nothing worrisome.  Yea!

Yesterday is a 35-min DVD workout for strength training.  It completely kicked my butt for some reason, so today is going to be a total rest day . . . . unless I feel like walking after work.

Wow - Two Buddo sightings in two days!  I'm feeling faint . . . .

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Stress, recover, repeat. Eat and sleep well and be patient. You'll be back in no time. Good job on the running.

Imminent Catastrophe

Everything went great and I even ran a little bit.  Not more than 5 minutes total over 3-4 miniature sessions, but EZ running nonetheless and I was tickled to death.  

Yay! Baby steps. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016