Trail Runners

Neo-Trail runners Extreme team-June 08 (Read 350 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

I don't know much about you but it sounds as if you need to cut back the running. Maybe you have forgotten why you run? Try doing just 2 or 3 30 min v easy runs in the woods. When the temp is easy. Don't take a watch. Just run easy and enjoy it. Maybe you can balance both running and lifting? It seems like such a shame to give up running - which you seem to enjoy so much. Hang in there. Smile

Okay Greg, here goes: Purely as an observation based on our posting together over the past year, you seem to be the type of person who goes to the extreme in anything you do, be it running, lifting weights, or whatever. For example, you hadn’t run in months, and within just a mere couple of weeks, you were putting in a huge amount of mileage without really rebuilding your base. Mileage that had me shaking my head thinking, “What the heck are you doing?” I think you’ve completely burned yourself out because you pushed it too damn hard. You need to try and find some kind of balance. If you love lifting weights, then yeah, go ahead and lift weights. If you love running, then yeah, go ahead and run two or three times a week. But don’t go at as if you have to run for two or three hours at a time. Don’t got at the weights as if you have to be the Incredible Hulk. How about a half hour run today? An hour on Saturday? Lift weights tomorrow for an hour. Ride a bike on Thursday. Give yourself a break on Friday. Or whatever combination works for you. You want to participate in a running event, then do so with the mind set of having fun. If you love running, don’t quit. If you love lifting weights, don’t quit. There has to be a balance to everything. As a therapist, you know this. You need to start practicing what you preach. You find that balance, you’ll be a very happy person. And that, my friend, is my two cents worth! Smile

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hi you! Like the new pic in your profile!
        Thanks! Self portrait. Smile

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hmmm, well that's what I'm trying to do. It's really not about weights vs. running. It's really about my hobby being my hobby, not a main thing in my life where I derive my identity from. I'm not expressing myself well I know. My main goal is to stay fit while doing the more important things. Weights have the advantage in that area as I always have them and less time involved. There is some satisfaction and pleasure found there for sure as well. Running ultras however is a real joy, but requires lots of time, for training and recovering, that seems to detract from what I value more. So, I'm trying to hang on to the ultra thing, while being able to do the more important things as well. I think if I do those things, I won't have the time for ultra's. So, I think I will pursue the more important things and see how much training I can get in in the meantime. The extremeness you note Fattie is from my hobby not staying my hobby. My wife jokes how she can't keep up with all the changes I throw at her over time: diets, exercise, sports, etc... It's about keeping the first things first and the second things second without the second becoming the first.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Greg - First and foremost, you and your family have to be healthy and happy. Everything else is icing. Do what's best for you and yours, and everything else will fall into the right places. Yes

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Sounds like you need a plan to keep you from going nuts. My first thought while reading your post was that you'll quit for a while but then you'll be back. You sound like me-too much to do and not enough time to do it all and life gets very overwhelming at times. So here's a possible weekly schedule-tweak it anyway you like.... Monday-4m, Tues-weights, Wed-8m, Thurs-weights, Fri-6m, Sat-off, Sun-12m; 30m/week This way you both weights and running. You can still run on the same day as you lift but one actvity's performance may be sacrificed because of the other. I like a 12m long run because it's not hard to start building from there towards bigger miles. Digging up trees is never easy no matter what the temperature. Like Jack always tells me "Life is busy-get used to it" and your girls are still little-just wait until their sports calendar starts conflicting with yours! Big grin So here's my FREE advice from Coach Kelly, NSCA CSCS, RRCA Running Coach Wink Remember to take a step back and look at the big picture-Life is good and try not to let the little stuff get you down (for too long). Kelly
              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                Free coaching advice from Kelly. Dang, Greg, I'd take her up on it! Cool

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ran 9.5 miles yesterday morning. First run in a week. 1:30/mile slower than last week. Hips killed, again. Thought I was past that. How quickly does one lose fitness? I will shoot for an 18 miler this weekend. Still trying to figure this out, though this week I have started reading an important book I've been neglecting. What I really need to do is write the journal articles I've been wanting to. I'm trying to utilize my planner to it's full extent as well. I use a Franklin Covey planner but haven't fully utilized it for quite some time. Time management has been a big problem for me. This is the real issue, getting the things I value done without losing the things I enjoy as well, or, not letting the things I enjoy overtake what I believe to be more important. The quest to keep first things first goes on. Thanks for the advice.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Six miles on Friday, 15 on Saturday. Hips were killing me again, really hurting. After running 12.5, I took off the two bottle waist pack and ran another 2.5. Hips felt alot better after taking off the hip pack. Either the weight or the belt itself leads to the pain. I'll experiment with using my hydration backpack to see if it's the weight or the waist pack. Ran the whole thing on a gravel road as the race I'm looking at in August is 40% fire service roads. What'd you guys get done this weekend? I floated for 2 hours down the Deleware River in a tube with my wife and 5 & 6 year old daughters for Father's Day. Good times. SmileWicked sunburn though

I floated for 2 hours down the Deleware River in a tube with my wife and 5 & 6 year old daughters for Father's Day. Good times. SmileWicked sunburn though
                      That sounds nice! Well, except for the sunburn part. Ran Saturday by myself, and the whole thing was sort of a disaster. Woke up cranky with allergies going full board. Drove the 15-20 minutes to where we run trails, went to put on my shoes - no insoles. Had left them in my other paid. Had to drive back home to get them, then back to the trails. Not helping the crankiness one bit. So got started almost an hour later than I wanted, and for the first 20 minutes or so, my HR monitor was just going haywire. Finally got it (or me) to settle down, the run went pretty good, except I got all the way back to where I wanted to run out and realized I had shorted myself by 15 minutes. Oh well. The rest of the day went better. Went to a bridal shower and then to a baseball game for alumni night. Hub coached the Humboldt Crabs baseball team for 14 years. This is our third summer without bball. Been nice. The Crabs are the oldest, continuously running semi-pro team in the country, currently in its 63rd year www.humboldtcrabs.com. It's a really cool organization. Very family oriented. They only play during the summer (June/July) while the kids are out of school (college), playing 6-7 games a week. Since they're opener on June 7, they've average over 1,000 people per game,and there were 1,600 that Saturday night. It helped that the Oyster Festival had been going on all day up on the plaza. Sunday was painting our shed, smoking game hens, and having dinner with Pops. I was pooped this a.m. and couldn't drag my butt outta bed to run. Got my own nice little half body sunburn going. Can you say, "Uh, not so sexy."???

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Very cool. Smoked fowl, baseball, trail running, hopefully some beer throw in there...sounds like an ideal weekend.

Ultrachick

I had a busy weekend celebrating Jack's birthday with a casual get together at a local restaurant bar on Friday night. Saturday was spent at the soccer fields with my younger son's team playing in a weekend long tournament. After getting home, ran 11 miles doing laps around the park out back and went to a friend's for dinner. Got up early Sunday morning and picked up my crazy as me training partner and we ran/speed hiked up and over Mt Mansfield twice for about 18 miles total with about 3000 ft climbing (1500 ft each side). It took us about 6 hours running time-6.5 hours total. We were on the Long Trail climbing ladders and scrambling over rocks that was not runnable in any way. I actually brought my camera and took pictures and will post them as soon as I have a few minutes. I was aiming for 26 miles on Sunday but figured the increased intensity makes up for the lost miles. Yes, I'm a bit sore today and it will probably be worse tomorrow but I still managed to get in 7 miles today. Kelly
                          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                            Kelly - You're an animal. I need someone like you as a personal trainer to work my a$$ off every day. If I could afford to hire one to show up at my house each morning, I would. Buddo - No beer for me, but I do make a tasty wine cooler. Hub and Friend managed a few beers, and Dad went with one homemade wine cooler. That's about his limit. Overcast and a high of 53 predicted today. Yep, that's our North Coast summer weather. Yee haw. Our best months are September/October when it cools down inland. Gorgeous here then.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Homemade wine coolers, huh? I've heard of homebrew beer, and hard cider, but never a homemade wine cooler. Care to share?

Do you have some "OK" wine (white or blush), not the best by itself, but not total crap either? Get yerself a pint glass, fill it with ice, 3/4 wine (or more :rollSmile the rest with 7-Up. Squeeze a bit of lime, mix, drink, repeat as necessary to get through the evening with people you don't really want to be spending time with (which wasn't my case this weekend, but nevertheless . . .) I don't like the coolers you buy at the store. Too sweet. May as well open a bottle of syrup and drink it with a slug of something alcoholic. The way I do it, they are much more refreshing. Cracks me up when I ask at a bar if they'll make one. "Make a wine cooler?" "Please." "Out of what?" "Wine and 7-Up." "Really?" "Yes." "What kind of wine?" "White or blush. Doesn't matter." "Hm." (Who was it that went to bartender school - you or me?? It's not rocket science people.) Big grin I haven't tried to make sangria yet, but that's next (from FoodTV): 1 unwaxed orange 1 unwaxed lemon 2 peaches 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar 1 large bottle red wine, chilled 3 tablespoons brandy 1 cup mineral water, chilled Rinse the citrus fruits in hot, running water, and dry them. Cut away the rind in a spiral, using a knife. Remove the pith from both fruits, and slice the flesh. Peel the peach flesh into pieces. Place the fruit in a large, glass pitcher. Sprinkle with sugar. Pour in the wine and brandy, then the water. Stir. Sangria should always be served ice cold. A few ice cubes may be added.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance