Trail Runners

Overcoming a climb (Read 213 times)

Marylander

So, I've just realized that I have a trail head to the appalacian trail close to home. I've done 3 little bits on it. I am really enjoying it. The problem is that there's a big climb (big to me anyway, I don't live in the mountains) pretty much right away. I'd like to be able to get to the top and be able to run along the top of the ridge (at least on a map it looks like you stay at the top for quite awhile after getting up there)

So, due to some family issues I've really been slacking this summer (over 170 miles in May and probably less than that in all the days since May) so I'm not in the greatest shape but I would really like to be able to avoid walking up this climb and eventually be able to get to the top and continue instead of having to head back down. I don't know how long it will take for me to be able and I don't know how to approach it. Any tips on getting into this kind of shape? I'm sure "run lots" probably covers a lot what I need to do. What else?

This is what I did yesterday:
    http://www.runningahead.com/logs/8dda41b02296477f8c7860c8b3305bcd/workouts/68622dcbec464d978b68fb17741a2620/map

Thanks!

under a rock

I would say that right now at this time of year you're going to have to do some walking to get to the top. Most trail runners walk a significant amount on the big climbs, I know I do. Heck right now I'm doing a lot of walking small climbs because of the heat.  In the winter I find myself able to do more hill running but for now it's a mix.

I just walk big climbs. Let's me marshal my strength for when it isn't a big climb.  

At the Bradbury Breaker, a 9 mile trail race at Bradbury Mountain, there's a steep climb to the summit from the base at about 6.75 miles.  In the last 2.25 miles, I managed to turn a 10 or 20 second lead into a 2 minute lead over a guy that tried running the climb while I walked it.  I had some energy left at the top. He didn't.  'Nuff said. Smile

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Marylander

Thanks! I guess I was feeling like walking up was somehow poor conduct... Wink

Nah, nothing wrong with walking.

I did a run/walk/run strategy in my last marathon and managed to run 2:50 and change.  It annoyed the guy that finished 20 seconds ahead of me since he knew I was running half the mileage he was going into the race. Wink

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Ultrachick

Walking isn't poor conduct. You should try to perfect it-get as fast as you can-because it's a real benefit in ultras (if you're thinking of those at all). I don't know how many people I pass hiking up hill and have been complimented on it. It saves a ton of energy, you're able to take off once you get to the top or at least manage some sort of shuffle to catch your breath if you really push it which maybe faster than what others do to recover once they reach the top. Try to walk like you have some place to be, it's not a stroll through the mall
              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
              Marylander

Wait, I'm a man, maybe what I want IS to walk like I'm going through a mall... Wink

Thanks all!